Gophers are recruiting Michale Haynes, from Martinsville (VA) Heat Academy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Monter:

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/945044.html

Michale Haynes, a 6-foot-6, 225-pound forward from Martinsville (VA) Heat Academy, has gotten plenty of recruiting interest, including recently from Minnesota. Haynes is averaging 22 points and nine rebounds per game for the 28-3 team. GoldenSports.Net caught up with Heat Academy head coach Jason Niblett to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Michael Haynes played at Chicago (IL) Washington, but was ruled academically ineligible for the second semester. Haynes, who played for the Illinois Bobcats AAU program, had received an offer from Marquette as a high school player, but landed at Heat Academy to improve his SAT score.

Haynes has scholarship offers from Marquette, Xavier and South Florida and has received interest from Minnesota, South Mississippi, Duke and Memphis, according to Heat Academy head coach Jason Niblett

"It is a host of other mid major pluses that have offered, but he has targeted the high major schools."

Minnesota has just started to recruit Haynes and assistant coach Vince Taylor is expected to watch practice this week.

"They just starting getting involved recently."

Niblett said that Haynes has been a joy to coach.

"He is one of the hardest working kids we have ever had in the program. He has been a pleasure to coach and a pleasure to get to know. I wish that I could have many more like him."

Niblett said that Haynes is a player with many strengths.

"He is a competitor. He hates to lose. He has that will to win and be the best that he can possibly be."

Niblett said that Haynes is working to improve himself as an all-around player.

"Of course, he can still work on his outside shot. He is knocking it down, but can continue to work on his three-point shot. He is knocking down the mid-range jumpers. pretty good. He is streaky with the threes, but that is pretty much it."

Niblett said that Haynes has the ability to play both forward positions at the next level.

"He is a hybrid. He can play at the three or at the four. He is one of those kids that you can throw him at any position and he is going to be fine."

Go Gophers!!

(His name is Michael).

You think Al Nolen has problems in the classroom? Look out.

Marquette offered Mike Haynes long, long ago... in the spring of 2007 when he was a class of 2009 guy... as a younger guy, he looked like he might be one of the tops in the 2009 Illinois prep class... but, certainly didn't happen. The author talks about him leaving Washington then going onto prep school.. but, I believe he actually left Washington in the spring of 2008, before classes were out. Then, went on to Fenger for 2008-09 where Loren Jackson was trying to create a quick power... I think he couldn't get eligible there,... not sure that he ever played for Fenger. This (2009-10) would be the first year at Heat Academy, which is a prep school created for the sole purpose of basketball.

His coach is saying Duke is interested, yadda yadda yadda... I'm not sure what to think. With the kid's history, not sure he's a great fit for Minnesota. Can play inside, but is only 6'6". Who knows... if he can get and stay eligible, he might be an alright player... but, not an overly impressive history.

Top Bottom