Gophers are losers

Even when we win, we lose.

There were certainly some concerning weaknesses in evidence by the Gophs this week; but to label us one of the principal losers is a gigantic stretch. Pretty shallow analysis on Dienhart's part.

Dienhart is one of the worst writers ever. in 2008 he tried arguing that any 1 loss team from the SEC or Big 12 (Big 12??) is better than any undefeated Big 10 team. He is, in a word, a joke.

Yho, Tom Dienhart

On the road, giving up 17 straight points the team could have quit. I would then labled them losers. But when the momentum, and crowd are against them. The team holds the opponent scoreless for 20 minutes, ties it up, then drives 70 yards to take the lead, then creates a fumble recovery on the runback, and runs out the clock.

Tom you didn't watch the game, and you assumed by the score the effort.

You didn't even look at the box score, and if you did you would have to admitt that an effort of 67 rushes 281 yards and 45:34 in possession time is extrodinary effort. That my friend is a Win, you are a loser!

Tom you didn't watch the game, and you assumed by the score the effort.

Anyone who watched that game knows it was closer to being a 20 point Gopher win than a 1 point MTSU win.

Even as someone who wasn't that happy with the Gophers performance, I find Diehart's analysis way over the top. At the very least take in to account the intangibles of playing on the road against a team that rarely (if ever) gets a Big Ten team to visit. This was clearly a "circle" game for MTSU and the Gophers were able to come out of there with a win. I agree with the concept that the win "wasn't that impressive"(as Diehart says), but how that translates in to being a loser for the week is a complete mystery to me. That said, I'll take being on the "losers" list after a win over being on the "winners" list after a loss any day of the week.

The Golden Gophers eked out a 24-17 victory over a Middle Tennessee team that didn't have star quarterback Dwight Dasher. In other words, the win wasn't that impressive.

Does Dwight Dasher play defensive tackle? Linebacker? Safety?

He's right. 45+ minutes of TOP, 280 yards rushing and counting on a botched fumble call to win is shameful.

Did he think we should have held the ball for 60 minutes? Unbelieveable!!!

... And Terrelle Pryor - wasn't his passing rating something like 112th in the nation last year?

I think Dienhart needs help.

by comparison

In 2002, I was in Lafayette when that Gopher team went down there to play ULL. It
was a tough game, and ULL made a strong push midway through the game, but the
Gophers pulled away late. My impression was that it was a good win- down south,
on the road, hostile venue against a fired-up team. Asany Big 10 team, you simply
get the W.

I thought that the win over MTSU was at least as impressive as that win, if not
more so. Even with Kilgore at QB, that's a dangerous team. The fact that the
Gophers came out of there with a W is solid.

The 2002 team went 8-5, capping the season with a bowl win over Arkansas.

Actual sports analysis is a pretty rare thing. We didn't get any in this article. We had players out too. I'm impressed with a 3:1 advantage in time of possession. The media spent all year fawning over MTSU, and when we beat them, then they give us no credit. Make up your minds!!! Yes, Dasher was out. But they had a pretty good backup, and we had players suspended too.

Then he goes on to gush over two new MAC coaches for beating Hampton and Rhode Island.

Relax.

In a weekend with not many upsets or surprises - and a lot of blowouts, he had to pick something. Most weeks this game wouldn't even make the radar of "loser" criteria.

If the worst thing I read after each game week this year is that "the win wasn't that impressive" I'll take it.

Dienhart wouldn't have written "eked out" if we had gone for the TD at the end, as we should have. I absolutely hate running up the score, but giving Hoese a fourth TD as a reward or giving Duane a TD as a reward for a great running day would have been fine. When you have only a seven point lead it is not piling on to score one more. We should have run a couple of plays instead of taking the knee. It all goes into the stats and helps rank the players in the Big Ten and NCAA.

Dienhart wouldn't have written "eked out" if we had gone for the TD at the end, as we should have. I absolutely hate running up the score, but giving Hoese a fourth TD as a reward or giving Duane a TD as a reward for a great running day would have been fine. When you have only a seven point lead it is not piling on to score one more. We should have run a couple of plays instead of taking the knee. It all goes into the stats and helps rank the players in the Big Ten and NCAA.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Once the Gophers got that last first down with under 2 minutes to go and MTSU out of timeouts, doing anything but taking a knee in that situation should be grounds for immediate termination.

Even as someone who wasn't that happy with the Gophers performance, I find Diehart's analysis way over the top. At the very least take in to account the intangibles of playing on the road against a team that rarely (if ever) gets a Big Ten team to visit. This was clearly a "circle" game for MTSU and the Gophers were able to come out of there with a win. I agree with the concept that the win "wasn't that impressive"(as Diehart says), but how that translates in to being a loser for the week is a complete mystery to me. That said, I'll take being on the "losers" list after a win over being on the "winners" list after a loss any day of the week.

Exactly, a victory is better than a moral victory.

I'd also like to add Dienhart is an idiot that for some reason hates Minnesota. His preseason unit rankings had Indiana's special teams ranked ahead of Minnesota with this to say about each...Indiana's kicker was 14/22 and their punter averaged 41 yds per punt, Doss could be a dangerous kick returner...Minnesota' kicker was 13/17 and punter averaged 44 yds per punt and they return Stoudermire at kick return (doesn't mention it but Stoudermire is top 10 all-time in Big Ten yds/return average entering his junior year).

On September 11, 1999, the Baylor Bears led 24-21 with the ball at UNLV's eight yard line with 28 seconds to play. The Rebels had no timeouts. Baylor decided to go for the touchdown. Their running back was stripped at the goal line and the fumble was returned for a touchdown. Baylor finished the season 1-10.

That article was garbage. He simply looked at the pre-game headlines and the score without doing any actual research or analysis. As has been said earlier in the thread, anyone who watched the game knew it was not as close as the score made it seem. Unfortunately, the Gophers are going to get this kind of slipshod coverage until the boys beat somebody decent this year. Once that happens (and I'm confident that it will), national writers will start to do their job when talking about the Gophers.

No reason to put a win on the line to make Tom Dienhart (whoever that is) happy. Take the victory and go home happy.

Relax.

In a weekend with not many upsets or surprises - and a lot of blowouts, he had to pick something.

Let's see. How about Kansas losing to NDSU? UCLA losing to Kansas State? Oklahoma beating Utah State by 7 and giving up over 340 yards passing? USC's defense (with the highest paid DC in the universe) giving up 588 yards and 36 points to Hawaii?

UCLA losing to Kansas State? USC's defense (with the highest paid DC in the universe) giving up 588 yards and 36 points to Hawaii?

You're not serious about these two, right?

And right to be serious.

Within the context of the original column linked by the OP, completely serious.

UCLA was suppose to be climbing to it's rightful, God anointed place as co-masters of the Football Universe. Who cares if they have sucked for the last decade, who cares if they hired a criminal element to be coach. They are suppose to beat one of the worst FBS teams without taking the field. Tom Dinehart himself told us. USC was exposed and embarrassed by their defense or lack of it. Both of these are bigger "losses" then a team with 11 new starters on defense letting up 17 points, 3 to 1 TOP and 300 yards of rushing. Not even close.

Top Bottom