Gopher's Annual Final Game

noamfromm

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone knows why there was a change in Minnesota's traditional closing game being against Wisconsin, to Iowa and now finally back to Wisconsin.

Between 1933 - 1982 we played Wisconsin every season on Thanksgiving weekend (save for '43 we played Iowa Pre Flight). From 1983- 2010 we played Iowa (save for 2000-01 we played Wisconsin), we then played Illinois and Michigan State before settling back into Wisconsin.

Last edited:

I am curious if anyone knows why there was a change in Minnesota's traditional closing game being against Wisconsin, to Iowa and now finally back to Wisconsin.

Between 1933 - 1983 we played Wisconsin every season on Thanksgiving weekend (save for '43 we played Iowa Pre Flight). From 1984 - 2010 we played Iowa (save for 2000-01 we played Wisconsin), we then played Illinois and Michigan State before settling back into Wisconsin.

Who hates Iowa Pre Flight?

I know some people get really hung up on who our final game is against, but I don't mind the opponents rotating around.

Between 1933 - 1983 we played Wisconsin every season on Thanksgiving weekend (save for '43 we played Iowa Pre Flight). From 1984 - 2010 we played Iowa (save for 2000-01 we played Wisconsin), we then played Illinois and Michigan State before settling back into Wisconsin.

Not sure about the first change, from WI to iowa.

But the change back to WI I believe was to give nebby a border rival when they joined the B1G, so we were paired with WI again.

As I recall, nebby fans were upset because they didn't believe iowa was worthy of being their main rival. How times have changed.

I know some people get really hung up on who our final game is against, but I don't mind the opponents rotating around.
Makes absolutely no difference to me who the final opponent is.

I definitely like Wisconsin as the final game. Things have been trending in a direction where that game is very meaningful many years.

Not sure about the first change, from WI to iowa.

But the change back to WI I believe was to give nebby a border rival when they joined the B1G, so we were paired with WI again.

As I recall, nebby fans were upset because they didn't believe iowa was worthy of being their main rival. How times have changed.
It was Iowa for quite some time recently. Late 70s until about 10 years ago.

Top Bottom