Gophers and the NFL Draft

wels0081

Reaction score
I know it's early but we don't have a bowl game to talk about...

Who, if any, do you think we've got that will at least be getting some looks and consideration from NFL teams this spring?

I might be overly optimistic, but I think there are four guys on the roster that could contribute to a NFL team. Gary Tinsley, Eric Lair, Da'Jon McKnight, and Anthony Jacobs--- I like to think at least 2-3 of these guys will actually be drafted late.

It's a shame McKnight didn't have a bigger season statistically. I really think he's got the talent to be a NFL receiver but without knowing his measureables (40 time, etc) it's hard to say what his chances are.

Your thoughts?

His 40 time will guarantee him a spot somewhere. :banghead:

I highly doubt anyone will be drafted, but some guys will likely get camp invites.

If McKnight really impresses in workouts and interviews he MIGHT get drafted.

None of these guys get drafted. Camp invites/practice squad maybe for 2 or 3.

I think Tinsley is the best pro prospect on the team, just nudging out McKnight. Their workouts are going to be extremely important. I perused an on-line draft site and they had Royston listed as a late-round pick.

The draft

Makes my heart go jump
Mock me up a Gopher play
Wide-out on the flat

Take the latest round
To draft a Golden Gopher
Insert another name

I scream like a fan
I anticipate the call
The greatest of them

Up at the lectern
A man announces a name
Certainly to be

Somebody better
Than the last player waiting
To hear announcements

A cause to occupy
The stool at the corner bar
Channeling football

Again I mumble the words
Thou shalt be their northern star
In the N.F.L.

Kim Royston

Kim may not have the skill set that they are looking for in the NFL but he certainly showed that he was a very capable tackler by leading the Big Ten in tackles for his position. Yes I know he got way to many opportunities. Therefore I think he would at least get an invite. Does anybody have any thoughts or insights on this?

Eric Lair rated the 11th Fullback/Tight End/H-Back and #402nd overall
Duane Bennett rated #27 RB and #347 overall
Gary Tinsley rated #22 Inside Linebacker and #528 overall
Kim Royston rated #31 FS and #716 overall
Da'Jon McKnight rated #33 WR and #298 overall
Troy Stoudermire rated #41 CB and #421 overall

Less accurate rankings for later years:
Brendan Beal rated #10 Inside Linebacker for class of 2014
MarQuies Gray rated #19 QB for Class of 2013
Ed Cotton ranked #21 FB for Class of 2013
Max Shortell #29 QB for Class of 2015
Tommy Olson rated #29 G for Class of 2015
Brock Vereen rated #31 CB for Class of 2014
Keanon Cooper rated #31 OLB for Class of 2013

If McKnight or Tinsley runs well at the combine (if invited) or pro workout day, they have a shot to be drafted. Even before this season Lair was a long shot to be drafted due to his lack of size as a TE.

Eric Lair rated the 11th Fullback/Tight End/H-Back and #402nd overall
Duane Bennett rated #27 RB and #347 overall
Gary Tinsley rated #22 Inside Linebacker and #528 overall
Kim Royston rated #31 FS and #716 overall
Da'Jon McKnight rated #33 WR and #298 overall
Troy Stoudermire rated #41 CB and #421 overall

Not sure where those rankings came from but if they are anywhere close to what the NFL teams actually use in general then McKnight is the only one with a slim shot of being drafted. My gut tells me that McKnight and Tinsley are the only two that have any shot of getting their name called in the late rounds.

After the draft though anything can happen. If someone like Marcus Sherels or Jimmy Wyrick can find a spot in the NFL there is hope for guys like Lair, Bennett, Royston, Jacobs, Stoudermire (if he is not granted another year) and the rest who make a run at it, takes a lot of hard work and some luck but you never know what might happen if you take a shot.

zambam said:
Ya, but if you don't have football speed it doesn't matter.

The Ducks have "football speed" which was my point.

With all the specialization that takes place in these pass-happy offenses in the NFL, I could see Lair getting a shot with someone. He's not a pure pro-level TE, but he has some quicks for a guy who is 240 pounds (or thereabouts). If he can block at all, he may get a look as an H-back, but the willingness to block will be the key for him.

McKnight's probably a step slow, but he has the ability to catch the ball in traffic. As in the case of Lair, there may be a spot for McKnight in a pro offense in which he can use his size to his advantage. A guy like Ruvell Martin has made a nice little career for himself and McKnight could do the same. Of course, Martin has contributed on special teams and for McKnight to make it, that would probably have to be in the cards as well.

I still think Tinsley has the best shot, but I could easily be wrong.

With all the specialization that takes place in these pass-happy offenses in the NFL, I could see Lair getting a shot with someone. He's not a pure pro-level TE, but he has some quicks for a guy who is 240 pounds (or thereabouts). If he can block at all, he may get a look as an H-back, but the willingness to block will be the key for him.

McKnight's probably a step slow, but he has the ability to catch the ball in traffic. As in the case of Lair, there may be a spot for McKnight in a pro offense in which he can use his size to his advantage. A guy like Ruvell Martin has made a nice little career for himself and McKnight could do the same. Of course, Martin has contributed on special teams and for McKnight to make it, that would probably have to be in the cards as well.

Lair is certainly coming out at the right time from the standpoint that there are more opportunities non-traditional more athletic TE's. He is the definition of a tweener in that he is not quite big enough for TE and not fast enough for WR. As you mentioned if he is willing to block he has a chance.

Tinsley is a guy I could see doing very well on special teams in the NFL. Guys like Darrell Reid made a career out of playing on teams in the NFL and Greg I mean Stylz G. White also hung around on special teams before working his way into the rotation on the DL.

I know it's early but we don't have a bowl game to talk about...

Who, if any, do you think we've got that will at least be getting some looks and consideration from NFL teams this spring?

I might be overly optimistic, but I think there are four guys on the roster that could contribute to a NFL team. Gary Tinsley, Eric Lair, Da'Jon McKnight, and Anthony Jacobs--- I like to think at least 2- 3 of these guys will actually be drafted late.

It's a shame McKnight didn't have a bigger season statistically. I really think he's got the talent to.
be a NFL receiver but without knowing his measureables (40 time, etc) it's hard to say what his chances are.

Your thoughts?

I would be shocked if 2 or 3 of these guys were drafted, however its much too early to say one way or another. First we need see if any of these guys get a senior bowl game invite. Second we need to see if any get an NFL combine invite. Third we need see how they perform at their pro day. Kill didn't do any of them any favors by denigrating their ability at the beginning of the season, they need to show the NFL they have game despite the gophers lack of success.
l

I think Tinsley is the best pro prospect on the team, just nudging out McKnight. Their workouts are going to be extremely important. I perused an on-line draft site and they had Royston listed as a late-round pick.

I wouldn't base my opinion on any of these web sites. Look at whose at the top. I know first hand the ability of Henry Aaron (ranked 2nd) he is a good player and had a good career but he his not better than Kim....not even close. Also, these sites are constantly reranking the players. Make a copy of them today and look at it again after the draft, players who ranked high but drafted low will be ranked lower than players ranked low but drafted.

You make some great points; I agree with you on Lair and McKnight, I think both have a shot. Lair could sell himself either a pass catching TE or a possible wr conversion Aka Marquise Colston. McKnight is a skilled project. He hasn't played a lot of football and his best football his ahead.

Kim may not have the skill set that they are looking for in the NFL but he certainly showed that he was a very capable tackler by leading the Big Ten in tackles for his position. Yes I know he got way to many opportunities. Therefore I think he would at least get an invite. Does anybody have any thoughts or insights on this?

Skill set? The NFL doesn't require safeties who can tackle and cover? The funny part is at Wisconsin he was considered to small to be an every down safety, they used him as the nickel back for coverage purposes. 200 tackles later he is now a run only safety, who somehow is still to small. To small despite leading all big ten db's in tackling each of the two years he played at MN?

When did productivity (16th in the nation in tackles) become a bad thing? Some GM is going to look awfully smart.
F

I would be incredibly surprised if Kim gets drafted in front of Aaron Henry. I would be very surprised if Kim got drafted. He's a great player I just don't think he has the speed or cover skills to play in the NFL.

I would be incredibly surprised if Kim gets drafted in front of Aaron Henry. I would be very surprised if Kim got drafted. He's a great player I just don't think he has the speed or cover skills to play in the NFL.

There is no shot that Royston gets drafted but he is definitely the kind of guy that can fly under the radar and end up on a roster as a FA.

There is no shot that Royston gets drafted but he is definitely the kind of guy that can fly under the radar and end up on a roster as a FA.

Royston might get drafted to play special teams, as many teams use 6th & 7th round choices to beef up the coverage teams.

You may be correct on Aaron getting drafted before Kim (assuming either gets drafted); Kim is faster and as better cover skills than Aaron Henry. Are they good enough for the NFL? Time will tell.

Note: I like Aaron as a football player, I only offer him up as a comparison because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Kim is better than one of the supposedly better safeties in College football.

Royston's coverage skills are nothing special, especially if we're talking about the NFL.

Define special in relationship to what we have seen in the college football or for a smaller demographic the B1G Ten. If you mean he hasn't had the luxury to sit back 20 yards and intercept poorly thrown balls by Qb's under duress, cool. I have seen few Safties used in coverage like Kim has been at the U.

In 2009 he was the nickel back (3rd corner) in coverage on passing downs or when offenses bought in a 3rd wr. FYI: remember all of those awesome cb blitzes? Guess who was covering the wr?

2011, he played more SS because.......well you know why.

NFL? My man you should look a little more closely. The NFL is FULL of S's who can't tackle or cover. It would be an insult (to these players) to compare Kim to Ed Reed, Troy P. or any of the all-pro type safeties in the league. However, there are about another 50-100 starters and backups I would love for him to have an opportunity to compete against.

Case in point, Kurt Coleman a 2nd year starter for the Eagles. I'm not saying Kim was better in college (I believe he was), I'm saying they are similar type football players with similar types measurables.

Royston is a really good tackler and will likely get a long look because he will definitely be able to play special teams. There just aren't too many DBs as tough as Royston. The NFL is full of guys who have carved out nice careers being able to play some DB and be a good/tough tackler (Sanford, Tyrone Carter, K. Coleman, etc.).

As far as his coverage, i'm really not sure. I know our defensive backfield looked better with him out there, but it's hard to judge a S without a pass rush and without experienced CBs. Very few S's can succeed in coverage when a QB gets all day to throw (and when the RB's are running the ball down their throat). I'm not saying Kim was great in coverage, frankly, I don't know enough about coverage schemes to know.

I do know that Kim is a really good tackler, seems athletic enough (as athletic as a lot of NFL S's), and would be good on special teams. I'm not sure he'll get drafted, he's borderline and he is a bit older with some health issues, but I think he'll make an NFL team, and once you've made a team/practice squad....anything can happen (look at Sherels).

I think Royston has a shot. No doubt. If anyone has watched Charlie Peprah running all over the place in the Packers' defensive backfield, it's fairly obvious that there are pro guys who have shaky coverage skills (not saying Kim does have shaky coverage skills, just pointing out that if there are questions about his coverage skills, there are questions about a lot of guys).

The NFL has largely become a "systems league." Each team has different schemes and try to match players' skills to what they do on the field. It's no longer a league that stops at bench press reps and 40-yard dash times when evaluating players. Royston hits hard and has enough speed to pique the interest of a team that believes he fits what they are trying to accomplish on defense. Add to that a willingness to play on special teams and he may earn a long look from someone.

I frankly am surprised that Marcus Sherels has stuck with the Vikings as long as he has, although I thought he was a steady college player. I wouldn't be surprised if Royston had an equal shot to Sherels (although Sherels' return ability adds to his perceived value).

I guess what I'm saying is that if Royston finds himself in the right situation, he could make it.

Royston might get drafted to play special teams, as many teams use 6th & 7th round choices to beef up the coverage teams.

You may be right but I would put him as an extreme longshot to get drafted. In some cases not getting drafted late is the best thing that can happen for a fringe player because it gives them to the chance to try and catch on with a team that has a need at their position. Helps improve the odds of being able to stick.

Top Bottom