Gophers AD Mark Coyle: Fans can look forward to more marquee nonconference games

Have you ever been to Starkville, Miss?. I have, don’t think I will be going.
I don't believe that Minnesota has ever played a road game at an SEC school. The closest I could find was a couple of games at Mizzou in 1966 and 1970, long before they were SEC members. I don't think Mississippi State has ever hosted a Big Ten school on campus. So while I would concede that Stark-Vegas isn't the best venue in the SEC or otherwise a place that I'd put on my bucket list, if that game gets played, I plan to be there.

Some people have a very hard bias against Seattle for certain “things” that have happened in recent years. Portland as well.

I think the PNW is beautiful. Great hiking and outdoors. Great place to visit.

I’ll leave it at that.

I don't believe that Minnesota has ever played a road game at an SEC school. The closest I could find was a couple of games at Mizzou in 1966 and 1970, long before they were SEC members. I don't think Mississippi State has ever hosted a Big Ten school on campus. So while I would concede that Stark-Vegas isn't the best venue in the SEC or otherwise a place that I'd put on my bucket list, if that game gets played, I plan to be there.

Minnesota had never played a road game at an ACC school until this past Saturday either. They had played at Pittsburgh and Syracuse, but neither were ACC members when they did that.

Minnesota had never played a road game at an ACC school until this past Saturday either. They had played at Pittsburgh and Syracuse, but neither were ACC members when they did that.
Well that gives me even more reason to get to Mississippi State. Then I can say I attended Minnesota's first road games at both an ACC and an SEC opponent.

Lots of discussion here about "marquee" opponents and what that means. For me, location would have as much to do with it as the quality of the opponent. Don't get me wrong. I think quality of opponent is part of the equation but if I am looking for a road trip, location is at least as important. AND I wouldn't be a big fan of going after top ten opponents (helmet schools) every year. So here is my list of ten teams who I would love to see the Gophers schedule a home/home with. I left some off the list if we have played them recently (i.e. Colorado, North Carolina).

Air Force
Army
Boston College
BYU
Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech

Some people have a very hard bias against Seattle for certain “things” that have happened in recent years. Portland as well.

I think the PNW is beautiful. Great hiking and outdoors. Great place to visit.

I’ll leave it at that.
So Jack Jones is one of your other monikers. Thanks.

Top Bottom