Gophers 7-foot recruit Dennis Evans gets triple-double in front of Ben Johnson in Vegas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Some players need a game or two to get comfortable after sitting out, but not Gophers senior recruit Dennis Evans III, who returned to the court Monday night with a triple-double in the Jerry Tarkanian Classic opener in Las Vegas.

With his future coach Ben Johnson in attendance, Evans had his best overall performance this year for Riverside Hillcrest (Calif.). The five-star 7-footer finished with 18 points, 12 rebounds and 11 blocks in a 67-53 win against previously undefeated Cypress Bay (Fla.).

After missing three games being out sick, Evans had not played since Nov. 26, but he was a game-changing inside presence from the opening tip Monday.

Three of his six dunks came in the opening five minutes. He disrupted shots on nearly every defensive possession. His third career triple-double and eighth career double-digit block game also included seven blocks in the second half.

Evans, who was averaging 16.5 points, 11 rebounds and 5.3 blocks through the first four games, will play Tuesday against Crean Lutheran. NBA scouts have been allowed to watch this high school tournament in Vegas for the first time this year.

Go Gophers!!

This thread on our 5-star's great game quickly dissolved into more trashing of the team.

It's hard to believe you guys are Gopher fans. And don't say you are if it's only of women's sports.

It'll be fun to see how Evans is used. I think it'll likely be more like Zach Edey - off the bench, in spurts when he is young.

It'll be fun to see how Evans is used. I think it'll likely be more like Zach Edey - off the bench, in spurts when he is young.
If Garcia stays we can go big. Evans, Thompson, Garcia, and Ihnen. Scrape the sky.

If Garcia stays we can go big. Evans, Thompson, Garcia, and Ihnen. Scrape the sky.
I would absolutely hate that lineup. LOL. (No offense).

First, i'd be much more interested to figure out a way to see if Evans and Payne can play together.

Second, I think one of the biggest plusses of adding a guy like Evans is that it allows us to go small.

We really need real wings - I'm not counting Thompson, Ihnen or Garcia as potential wings.

This is a really great breakdown of his skills and definitely provides hope for next year. Our guard foot speed won't matter as much on defense if we have that guy roaming the paint.
But do we have to play the dreaded zone? The guy also sees him in the 24 draft.

per Marcus:

Some players need a game or two to get comfortable after sitting out, but not Gophers senior recruit Dennis Evans III, who returned to the court Monday night with a triple-double in the Jerry Tarkanian Classic opener in Las Vegas.

Yes, a success plan is underway. Evans is a major piece of that.

Let's be honest. This program has a long history of not recruiting and not winning. Realistically, creating a winner one block at a time is the only way out. A win now plan is not possible.

Mr Basketball Minnesota who joined the Gophers is also starting to show dividends and will eventually pay off.

Now need one more very good guard.

I would absolutely hate that lineup. LOL. (No offense).

First, i'd be much more interested to figure out a way to see if Evans and Payne can play together.

Second, I think one of the biggest plusses of adding a guy like Evans is that it allows us to go small.

We really need real wings - I'm not counting Thompson, Ihnen or Garcia as potential wings.
I am also intrigued by the prospect of having Evans and Payne in the game together. I see a lot of high/low post opportunity. Not sure what you are looking for in wings. Seems like we already have a bunch to choose from. I’m in the definitely need a true point guard camp and am anxious to see if Ben can pick one up from the portal. I would also not mind seeing another big who can play with his back to the basket, has good footwork, and can rebound, and score. This is in case Evans development is not as fast as we would like to see.

This is a really great breakdown of his skills and definitely provides hope for next year. Our guard foot speed won't matter as much on defense if we have that guy roaming the paint.
I thought the same thing with Gobert for the timberwolves. When perimeter defense sucks, it makes the bigs have to cover and they are off balance. The ball is then dished off and sent out for an open three.

It can cover some things, but not all.

I thought the same thing with Gobert for the timberwolves. When perimeter defense sucks, it makes the bigs have to cover and they are off balance. The ball is then dished off and sent out for an open three.

It can cover some things, but not all.
That turnaround dirk shot was pretty sick at least lol

He will be a top NBA draft pick when his college playing days are done.
Are there any videos of him playing against guys with size / beef? I’d love to see Payne and him in practice. Payne will have 50 lbs on him by next fall.

Getting weight on Evans should be priority number 1

Are there any videos of him playing against guys with size / beef? I’d love to see Payne and him in practice. Payne will have 50 lbs on him by next fall.

Yup, beefing up with muscles works in the Big Ten.

But Evans against Payne in practice can’t happen because you have Payne leaving after this year in your previous posts.

Last edited:

But Evans against Payne in practice can’t happen because you have Payne leaving after this year in your previous posts.
That’s a good catch. I think it’s like 60/40 that Payne is gone.

If he is gone, there will be no one to really challenge Evans in practice unless they get some beef in the portal.

Top Bottom