Gophers 2024 and 2025 Big Ten opponents announced.

Ya, this looks like a great schedule system! The Gophers can compete and once every couple years we get a California trip. We play Wisconsin and Iowa every year and Nebraska most years.

2025 may be our best ever chance to win the Big Ten. No Ohio State or Michigan. Gotta beat USC at home and Penn State at their place. Yes, we also have Iowa in Iowa but we'll be coming off two wins in a row in '23 and '24. The other 6 we have a chance to be favored. 5 Home games, 4 road games.

and just for fun - a list of Big Ten Rivalry games from Wikipedia:

Big Ten conference rivalry games[edit]​

GameTrophyTeamTeamFirst YearLatest YearMeetings
Illini -NwestLand of Lincoln TrophyIllinoisNorthwestern18922022116
Illinois–OSUIllibuckIllinoisOhio State19022017103
Illinois–PurdPurdue CannonIllinoisPurdue1890202298
Indiana–MSUOld Brass SpittoonIndianaMSU1922202269
Indiana–PurdOld Oaken BucketIndianaPurdue18912022124
Iowa–MinnFloyd of RosedaleIowaMinnesota18912022116
Iowa–NebrHeroes TrophyIowaNebraska1891202253
Iowa–WiscHeartland TrophyIowaWisconsin1894202296
Mary–PSUMarylandPenn State1917202246
MSU–PSULand Grant TrophyMichigan StatePenn State1914202237
Mich-NwestGeorge Jewett TrophyMichiganNorthwestern1892202176
Mich–MSUPaul Bunyan TrophyMichiganMSU18982022115
Mich–MNLittle Brown JugMichiganMinnesota18922020104
Mich–OSUMichiganOhio State18972022118
MN–Nebr$5 Bits of Broken Chair TrophyMinnesotaNebraska1900202263
MN–PSUGovernor's Victory BellMinnesotaPenn State1993201915
MN–WiscPaul Bunyan's AxeMinnesotaWisconsin18902022133
Neb–WiscFreedom TrophyNebraskaWisconsin1901202216
OSU-PSUOhio StatePenn State1912202238
UCLA–USCVictory BellUCLAUSC1929202292
Wait...there's TWO Victory Bell Trophies???

I'm not even sure Iowa fiercely wanted Nebraska as a 3rd rival. Nebraska, I am sure wanted it, the Hawkeyes are just playing along.

With regards to Penn St. If you don't have a genuine rival, then as I have said multiple times ad nauseam to gin it up and require teams to play annually (or even 4 years consecutively) is not necessary.

I really like this format.
Iowa does indeed want Nebraska as a rival.

I’m happy we keep Iowa and Wisconsin every year.

Sad we lose Nebraska and don’t get Michigan every year.

Would 4 permanent rivals been weird/ scheduling trouble? Maybe, but I don’t see the new scheduling as better either.

I see the PSU having no protected rivals as a move from their AD to try to have a year where they don't play OSU or Michigan in the regular season. Their fans want them to play OSU regularly, but especially in the new format I could see them having one or both of those games as a protected game being viewed as a detriment to them getting into the expanded playoff.

Like, there is a world where PSU misses OSU and Michigan and goes undefeated in the regular season, and then plays the winner of the OSU vs Michigan game in the B1G championship. In that case, unless they get blown out, they likely will be within the top 12 when the playoffs happen.
PSU is “unrivaled”, a rivalry game would be illegal.

In 2025 WI plays tOSU, USC, and Alabama.
The best way to entice recruits is to show them if you come here you will be losing in big games on a big stage.
fixed it for you

I’m happy we keep Iowa and Wisconsin every year.

Sad we lose Nebraska and don’t get Michigan every year.

Would 4 permanent rivals been weird/ scheduling trouble? Maybe, but I don’t see the new scheduling as better either.
3 permanent rivalries is the most you can have and still play the remaining 12 opponents once every other year, assuming a 9-game conference schedule. Think this is how the math works.

USC UCLA is simply called the Victory Bell and the other is called the Governor's Victory Bell.
Football>College Football>NFL Football .... the name's are different with a portion being the same.

3 permanent rivalries is the most you can have and still play the remaining 12 opponents once every other year, assuming a 9-game conference schedule. Think this is how the math works.
I don’t really care how that works. If we don’t see Indiana often… I don’t care.

Not playing Michigan or Nebraska much is a bigger deal than playing Indiana or Maryland more often.

I wouldn't be shocked if PSU was one of the main schools pushing for this. I don't really think they have a rival they want to protect each year, at least not one that feels the same way back. Instead of getting lumped with some meaningless rivalries, they just get to rotate everyone
They were an independent until the 1990s
This makes sense for penn state

A little surprised Rutgers and/or Maryland didn’t demand it

I'm disappointed that our rivalries with Rutgers, Indiana, and Northwestern were not protected

I'm disappointed that our rivalries with Rutgers, Indiana, and Northwestern were not protected
I think if the team could’ve protected
Michigan
Ohio state
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Indiana
Illinois
Purdue
Michigan state

It would’ve felt more big ten

I want to see the "U" show that these rivalry games are actually important to them beyond lip service. We are currently on a school record 8 game losing streak to Iowa. Wisconsin just fired Paul Chryst who finished his career at 43-18 in the Big Ten.

The expectation should be to beat those programs. The resources should be made available to do so. If those are not the expectations and/or the resources will not be made available then we should not have protected the games. I believe the stat is something like we haven't swept Iowa and Wisconsin since like 1993? You'd think a MAC team would run in to a sweep in 30 years... In the next decade, I'd like to see at least an 11-9 combined record against Iowa and Wisconsin. I think Fleck is talented enough to do it, but not if we lag behind in administrative support.

It seems weird that the B1G continues to keep Indiana from visiting Minneapolis. One home game against Indiana between 2009 and at least 2025. Meanwhile, the Gophers have visited the Hoosiers several times over the same time period.

It seems weird that the B1G continues to keep Indiana from visiting Minneapolis. One home game against Indiana between 2009 and at least 2025. Meanwhile, the Gophers have visited the Hoosiers several times over the same time period.
Indiana will visit Minnesota in 2026 or 2027 based on the scheduling model they just released. (Unless they change it)

Minnesota will play Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin in both 2024 and 2025 and will play everyone else once.

In 2026 and 2027 they will play Iowa and Wisconsin. They will play a third team (to be named later) home and home. They will play everyone else once.

So in the next 4 years;
4 vs Iowa
4 vs Wisconsin
At least 3 vs nebraska
At least 2 vs everyone else
1 more game against someone else

A “protected” opponent means 4 games in 4 years.
A “2-play” means 2 games in 2 years
Everyone else 1 game in 2 years.
I assume they’ll use the same model in 2026-27 but change all or some of the “2-plays”

One of the challenges of the B1G two division format was that the Purdue-Indiana rivalry game was between teams in each division, which meant that the rest of the Western division would play Indiana less often. Does not explain why we seem to go to Bloomington a lot more than they come here however.

I don’t really care how that works. If we don’t see Indiana often… I don’t care.

Not playing Michigan or Nebraska much is a bigger deal than playing Indiana or Maryland more often.
Will play big ten east minus Michigan state annd Indiana, USC, UCLA every two years instead of playing big ten east every 3 years.
Will play big ten west teams northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois every other year now instead of every year.
Nebraska 3 of the next 4 instead of 4 of the next 4.
Will play Indiana every other year now instead of once every 6 years.
Will play UCLA and USC every other year now instead of never.
Will play Michigan state every other year now instead of 6 years in a row (I think that was the new cross…it was Maryland but had just changed).

Gophers have been to Indiana twice and they've been here once in that time frame.

So, we have one chance left to win the B1G West Title, and when we do it this year, we'll hold the title forever (since no one ever can take it away from us).

Bring back divisions in a 20 team league!
I think that if they ever went to 18 or 20 they would need to go to some kind of divisional scheduling. Even if they didn’t name divisions. Even if they changed it every year.
But if they actually want a conference champ it would be mathematically necessary.

These three way ties would be great in number and there would also be 4 way ties too in an 18 or 20 team league.

I hope we don't keep the trend of playing both OSU and Michigan the same year.

I hope we don't keep the trend of playing both OSU and Michigan the same year.
Less of an issue now that there is a third big dog in the conference in my opinion.
I almost would rather play the big 3 all the same year. Because it means in the other year in the two year cycle you play none of the three.

I think that if they ever went to 18 or 20 they would need to go to some kind of divisional scheduling. Even if they didn’t name divisions. Even if they changed it every year.
But if they actually want a conference champ it would be mathematically necessary.

These three way ties would be great in number and there would also be 4 way ties too in an 18 or 20 team league.
I was actually going to ask you if the "3 Unbeaten" thing had been figured out yet. Had a feeling that was an aspect of great interest to you. Just a hunch.

Thanks for posting it.

Top Bottom