Gopher's 2009 MVP?

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there has been any discussion on this or not.

In my mind, there was really only one player that had a "stellar" year - Garrett Brown.

This is just my opinion and I'm curious to see who else might be nominated. Others that contributed quite a lot throughout the year - NTA, Campbell, Decker (for a lil while) and Theret (who I thought played above his own skill level - I'm sure I'll catch heat for this, but he had a good year).

Campbell

Campbell would get my vote, by a landslide. A gamer, and he was the leader of a respectable defense that tried its best to cover up for a putrid offense. If Decker had played the entire season, perhaps I would vote differently. Tow-Arnett was a bright spot at TE as well. Gophers always seem to have a good TE.

Kyle Theret - the heart and soul of the best Gopher's defense we have seen in awhile.

Agreed with Campbell...he really kept the defense together out there.

Campbell also. Fiery, effective leader and a pretty darn good football player week in and week out.

Campbell on defense for the way he played with all of the adversity he's faced through position changes.

I know this is about MVP's, but Ryan Collado played through a hell of a lot of adversity and was a gamer on a few big plays and especially on special teams this year. I hope he continues to develop and locks into that nickel spot next year.

Also, I'm going to throw in our DT's in Brown and Small. Campbell may not have had the season he did without them.

Here are a couple of under-the-radar guys - TE Tow Arnett on offense (consistently made clutch catches and took a pounding; also had to put up with the TE middle screen being called two plays IN A ROW!!!), and, along with Campbell, Cedric McKinley. CM wasn't flashy, and was suspended for two games, but he was a very steady performer good for at least one tackle for loss a game (it seemed) and a sack or two here and there. He was just consistently solid; not great, but solid.

Theret made some big plays, but also gave up some big plays. McKinley would have been more effective if he wasn't so slow. Too many QBs and RBs ran outside on him. I'd vote for Brown or Campbell. Thought the TE position was under-utilized, but Tow-Arnet seemed average. Hope the new JuCo player is an upgrade.

Campbell or Decker (even with just 1/2 a season) would get my vote.

Also, I'm going to throw in our DT's in Brown and Small. Campbell may not have had the season he did without them.

+1 Brown and Small are probably the best combo we've seen here in a long, long time. Campbell is a close second. Since you are looking for just one, I'd have to pick Brown. Small was very impressive though. I hope that Edwards, Kirksey and the rest learned from playing/ observing their play.

If it was just heart and determination, I'd throw Collado and Theret into the conversation.

I'm going with Campbell as well. Even though I agree with everyones points on our DT's.

our cheerleaders?
but seriously it is Campbell, and a very close second of triplett. His huge plays won us games at the beginning of the year. Our record would not be 6-6 without the early season play of #32.Tow-Arnett comes in third. He was under utilized but always did what he was supposed to. Our Dts just got pushed around too much the second half of the season but I blame that on being on the field too much due to our offense's ineptitude. They also steal votes from each other, but it goes 1. Campbell 2. Triplett 3. NTA in my book.

Tow-Arnett was above average in my eyes. Behind Decker he was the only guy I actually expected to catch the ball when it got thrown to him. He took a lot of big shots and came up with some tough catches.

Tow-Arnett (TE) sticks out to me. The defense would have been worse off without Campbell for sure, but I can't imagine where we would have been without Tow-Arnett. In fact, I don't even want to think about it. Runner up Campbell of course.

Campbell would be my top choice. Decker's clearly the most productive player on the squad when he's on the field, but Campbell really stepped up big-time this season and played hard every down. I will be curious to see if he gets a shot at the next level. Kid may lack top-tier speed, but there's no questioning his effort and football acumen. No doubt he's a "baller."

Can't say enough about Brown and Small either. Brown, like Campbell, could have used a red-shirt season and I wonder what heights they would have reached in their fifth years had they had one.

Our offense was too inconsistent to pick anyone on that side of the ball. I wish I could say D-Line, b/c I can't remember the last time our LB's had as much space to work with. Unfortunately our pass rush is still very substandard, so I'll eliminate the DE's. From the remaining DT's I have a hard time picking between brown and small. From a pure gut feeling I would say Brown.

For me Small had the better year of the two DT's, not a knock on Brown, just saw more from Small.
Campbell is my choice for MVP. All heart, making tackles all over, big plays, blocked kicks, etc.

For me Small had the better year of the two DT's, not a knock on Brown, just saw more from Small.

I blame all the food I've been eating for my gut feeling being off...

(dots for coolness)

I blame all the food I've been eating for my gut feeling being off...

(dots for coolness)

Your gut was right. Brown is the reason everyone thinks Campbell is the MVP.

Yep, gotta go with Campbell, the guy was everywhere.

Top Bottom