Gophers' 2009-10 Nonconference Schedule (updated May 3)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Will update as I see/hear reports from the media. By playing in an exempt tournament (Anaheim Classic), am pretty certain the Gophers -- like last season -- will play 12 nonconference games. Guess is the Gophers will play 8 home games, 1 true road game & 3 at a neutral site (Anaheim Classic).

This update adds Stephen F. Austin, who Senile Sid reports is a done deal for next season. As always, take anything Sid says with a huge chunk of salt. If true, Stephen F. Austin is the first sure-fire NCAA qualifier on the Gophers' nonconference schedule for next season.

Final RPI for 2008-09 listed in parentheses.

Home (8?)
1. Stephen F. Austin (74, NCAA)
2. South Dakota State (283)

Road (1?)
1. Miami of Florida (65)

Neutral/Anaheim Classic (3?)
3 of these 7:
West Virginia (21, NCAA)
Butler (24, NCAA)
Clemson (28, NCAA)
UCLA (33, NCAA)
Texas A&M (36, NCAA)
Portland (120)
Long Beach State (156)

Average RPI of Known (3) Nonconference Opponents: 140.666

Rumors (speculation from the Arrogant Old Fart)?
Kansas (11, NCAA)
Saint Joseph's (105) -- Saint Joe's school rep confirmed ongoing talks but nothing official yet.

I think Sid gets his information by throwing darts at a massive dart board.

what a crap list so far. Schedule some prime time games. Kentucky would be a huge interest game.

They are not going to add anybody of any substance to the home non-conference schedule. They have already raised their strength of schedule significantly with the potential of 3 quality games in the anaheim tournament and the road game at miami.

what a crap list so far. Schedule some prime time games. Kentucky would be a huge interest game.

When/if that (UK vs Minn) game ever happens, it will be in a postseason (NCAA) tourney event.

The Gopher OOC schedule appears better (stronger) than either 2008 or 2009. Look for it to be tougher as the Gopher talent level increases.

So far

For starters, as far as overall NC schedule, we're off to a good start. Obviously, the Anaheim Classic is a huge upgrade from the joke of a round-robin tournament the Gophers hosted last season, so we're way ahead of the grade in that respect. Stephen F. Austin is OK; I would equate scheduling them to scheduling Cornell last season. ... a NCAA team from the previous season with a RPI below 100. As long as SFA isn't the Gophers' best home NC opponent, no problem here.

As always, the question is. ... will there be a couple truly "interesting" home games scheduled? Nothing to base this on, but a gut feeling says Gopher fans will get a couple this season. Crossing my fingers for the start of a home-and-home with a major-conference program (i.e. an Ole Miss or Georgia) along with a matchup vs. a solid mid-major or A-10/WAC-type program (i.e. an Illinois State or LaSalle).

The only home game of note will be St. Joseph's...which is kinda sad. The Kansas game ain't happening this year.

I agree, but I don't think it's as easy as calling up a team and asking them to play on prime time. So many other factors like television contracts, travel, game limits, etc. go into scheduling.

The only home game of note will be St. Joseph's...which is kinda sad. The Kansas game ain't happening this year.

I'm slowly moving to non-renewal status for season tickets. It is really tough to pay for the crap schedule they've put together recently.

So we arnt playing Kansas next year??

Nice to see this thread appearing earlier than in years past. This is the "quiet time" for me on the board as both football and basketball are pretty much in hiatus

If you don't believe Sid, why do you use him as a news source?

Good question. Basically I make a judgment call on what sounds like Sid throwing crap up on a wall (Kansas) and what sounds official (by Sid's standards). There's really no reason for Sid to make something up like Stephen F. Austin. Heck, until he reported the game, he probably thought Stephen F. Austin was the 6 Million Dollar Man, probably still does.

Truth be told, I trust other sources (school web sites/officials, reports from other newspapers, TJ, Anonymous, Maximus) much more than I trust Sid, but unfortunately the old guy is the "best" we have here in terms of Gopher scheduling gossip.

Top Bottom