Gophers (-19.5) point favorites vs. EMU

O/U? Can’t find but would think 47 ish? Or, 33-14? 45, and 32-13?

If we play like last week, the O/U—not the spread—should be 19.5. Hopefully, our offense finds its legs. Go Gophers!

I'll go 31-10.
That feels about right to me. Hard to imagine after that putrid offensive showing against Nebraska, but Howard had about 400 yards of offense on EMU...much of it in the 2nd half. I'd be concerned and disappointed if Minnesota didn't top that.

It's an interesting thing about expectations.

Last season in non-conference, the Gophers beat New Mexico State by 38 points, Western Illinois by 52 points and Colorado by 42 points. That Gopher team then travelled to East Lansing and beat the Spartans by 27 points, 34-7.

It's way early, but after one game, what's the board's take on how the '23 Gophers compare to the '22 team?

Would the '22 team have thrashed Eastern Michigan?

Last season in non-conference, the Gophers beat New Mexico State by 38 points, Western Illinois by 52 points and Colorado by 42 points. That Gopher team then travelled to East Lansing and beat the Spartans by 27 points, 34-7.

It's way early, but after one game, what's the board's take on how the '23 Gophers compare to the '22 team?

The ‘22 team likely would have and this team should as well.

stating the obvious - '22 team had the school's all-time leading RB and an All-American C leading the O-line. plus starting the season with a very experienced QB.

this year's team is very different on offense. I hope/think the offense will improve as the season progresses. On defense, even with all of the losses to graduation and the portal, and with the top LB sitting out, the defense was solid. Nebraska's only TD came on a busted trick play.

as of right now, the '22 team is better than the '23 version on offense. Defense is close to a wash. so it's up to the offense to improve.

but as far as betting is concerned, I'm not betting on the Gophers to blow out anyone at this point. and I'm taking the under until I see evidence to the contrary.

That feels about right to me. Hard to imagine after that putrid offensive showing against Nebraska, but Howard had about 400 yards of offense on EMU...much of it in the 2nd half. I'd be concerned and disappointed if Minnesota didn't top that.
My difference here would be that EMU shouldn't score as many as Neb.

Nebraska is obviously more talented than any of those teams.

I do worry about the running game but have confidence in the defense, and I think AK gets better as the year goes on, which I did not have confidence in the QB last year doing that.

I’ll take MN by 17. I dont think they cover but they win comfortably.

Gophers will win, but the winning bet is on E. Michigan to beat the spread.
The winning bet is the under.
19.5 is a dangerous spread for a game like this. Wouldn’t touch the spread.

E Michigan isn’t going to score more than 10 barring a bunch of turnovers. 30-10 wins the bet for the gophers and that isn’t that hard to do.

I’d pound EM at 19.5…I’m not sure we can score 20 points trying to figure out our new offense

o/u at 48. so books are thinking 34-14 or so. interesting

I was impressed with Toledo and Buffalo’s performances. The final score was not indicative of how competitive they were. EM May be better than both.

Nebraska is obviously more talented than any of those teams.

I do worry about the running game but have confidence in the defense, and I think AK gets better as the year goes on, which I did not have confidence in the QB last year doing that.

I’ll take MN by 17. I dont think they cover but they win comfortably.
As others have pointed out, that 3-3-5 defense is supposed to be good against the run. I see Saturday as a game they get back on track with the running game.

I was impressed with Toledo and Buffalo’s performances. The final score was not indicative of how competitive they were. EM May be better than both.
EMU was not impressive against Howard. Howard gave up 2 return tds and the punter had a snap go right through his hands for a safety.

With this daunting schedule the gophers really need to take care of business against the non ranked opponents. Just not a lot of room for error or a big let down game. Excited to see week 2 and how they improve week to week.

After Bowling Green, you'd think these oddsmakers would know that the Gophers ALWAYS play to the level of their competition.

Last edited:

After Bowling Green, you'd think these oddsmakers would know that Gophers ALWAYS play to the level of their competition.
What about when we obliterated our NC opponents last year? Referencing BG every time we play a weaker team is just lazy.

Top Bottom