Gophers #12 on 247 2024 Team Recruiting with 19 Guys

125 DI Football teams > if each team come December take 20 guys (portal has to skew this? #?)
but say 20...so, 20x125 is 2,500 players each recruiting season.
Our guys are all #481 to #900 something, plus we have maybe 3 guys unrated who should push somebody else down and fit into this window, once rated.
That means there are 1500 guys fitting in on teams below the guys we got. AMIRITE
Makes our recruiting seem better to me?
I do wish we would get some top 200 playmakers once in awhile...and then have them turn out to actually be exciting and explosive freshmen.
Who have we had in recent memory explode onto the scene as a freshman?
Six of the 12 don't even have numbers, so they are not all under #900 something...half are over.

I mean the obvious answer is Justin Walley (#706 nationally).

Healthy football teams don't have to rely heavily on freshman. Much better to have guys spend a few years getting physically ready in football.
I mean the obvious answer is Justin Walley (#706 nationally).

Healthy football teams don't have to rely heavily on freshman. Much better to have guys spend a few years getting physically ready in football.
I'd add Bucky Irving and Ky Thomas, although it took a few guys going down to get them on the field.

The formula for how we should view this is simple really.

If we are high in the rankings, obviously the rankings matter and Fleck is killing it.
If we are low in the rankings, then ratings don't matter, and Fleck is finding hidden gems to coach into future NFL players.
If we get a lot of 4-stars then star ratings matter.
If we get 3-star guys with a lot of offers, then it's the offers that matter.
If we get the best guys we can, guys who want to play here, guys who can develop over a few years (might not play right away as freshman), high three stars with their heads screwed on right and who have meaningful upside, I’m good with that—and I think that PJ is doing a great job. Folks can relate it to the star system any way they want. If our classes are in the 35-50 range, and we consistently end up the season ranked higher that our recruiting rankings, I’m good with that. If we keep winning 8, 9 or more games, I’m good with that.

125 DI Football teams > if each team come December take 20 guys (portal has to skew this? #?)
but say 20...so, 20x125 is 2,500 players each recruiting season.
Our guys are all #481 to #900 something, plus we have maybe 3 guys unrated who should push somebody else down and fit into this window, once rated.
That means there are 1500 guys fitting in on teams below the guys we got. AMIRITE
Makes our recruiting seem better to me?
I do wish we would get some top 200 playmakers once in awhile...and then have them turn out to actually be exciting and explosive freshmen.
Who have we had in recent memory explode onto the scene as a freshman?
Bateman

Six of the 12 don't even have numbers, so they are not all under #900 something...half are over.
Ya, either it changed or I misread the rankings. 13 of the 19 are 900 something or below.
6 don’t fall in line…I thought those 6 were all like Gerald…no numbers at all and most would grade out to push onto the list. Could still happen but my premise was off .

Bottom line, regardless of ranking, we are still out recruiting bigger offers than what we have in the past. Typically, even in a PJ class, we have a handful of recruits with none or only one other solid P5 offer. This year I think every recruit has multiple solid P5 offers, with a few with some big time offers. We aren't in the category of classes full of four/five stars yet, but we are bordering on that line. Keep getting guys to the NFL and the classes will continue to shine.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
The proof of recruiting is the conference record.
If PJ wins the West this year and does well enough to make the playoffs in subsequent years when the divisions are gone and USC and UCLA are in the BIG, all will say he has recruited well.

I have a relative that contacts me every year at this time to inform me that the Gophers are among the national leaders in recruiting and a truly groundbreaking class is being formed.

Every single time, I let the air out of his balloon by pointing out the average star rating, and the realization that Fleck’s MO is to lock in “his guys” early, and after things settle out, the Gophers will likely drop into the 40’s with those recruiting rankings.

By the following summer, it is “rinse, repeat” and my relative again informs me of the gaudy recruiting class being formed. The whole thing repeats itself once again with remarkable consistency.

I have a relative that contacts me every year at this time to inform me that the Gophers are among the national leaders in recruiting and a truly groundbreaking class is being formed.

Every single time, I let the air out of his balloon by pointing out the average star rating, and the realization that Fleck’s MO is to lock in “his guys” early, and after things settle out, the Gophers will likely drop into the 40’s with those recruiting rankings.

By the following summer, it is “rinse, repeat” and my relative again informs me of the gaudy recruiting class being formed. The whole thing repeats itself once again with remarkable consistency.
Or you could let him be excited and pumped for Gopher football!

Do you enjoy telling kids there's no Santa as well?? 😂

Top Bottom