Gophers’ men’s basketball coach Ben Johnson says Mark Coyle ‘has my back’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Head coach Ben Johnson said Monday that athletics director Mark Coyle has been “really supportive” while the Gophers men’s basketball program struggled to a second consecutive last-place finish in the Big Ten this season.

Coyle has “been a guy that has been been awesome to work with and to know that he has my back and he sees the growth and development,” Johnson said. “He sees the path and trajectory of where we are going and who we have in our program.”

Go Gophers!!

Last edited:

"Coyle has “been a guy that has been been awesome to work with and to know that he has my back"

Speaking of "back" coach, that remark could come "back" to bite you.

Might not want to trumpet that "path and trajectory" message too hard, Ben, as it's not exactly going the right direction.

2021 conference wins: 6 (Pitino)
2022 conference wins: 4 (Johnson)
2023 conference wins: 2 (Johnson)
🥸 Tunnel Vision 🥸

What does it feel like to live a life without hope. Do tell.

🥸 Tunnel Vision 🥸

What does it feel like to live a life without hope. Do tell.
I have lots of hope, just not for the guy currently leading our basketball program. If you can look at a conference record that has declined both years since he’s gotten the job (to the point where we just won one-third of the games as the guy who rightfully was fired two years ago) and look at that as a positive trajectory, then you’re not hopeful, you’re delusional (and maybe a little thick).

I have lots of hope, just not for the guy currently leading our basketball program. If you can look at a conference record that has declined both years since he’s gotten the job (to the point where we just won one-third of the games as the guy who rightfully was fired two years ago) and look at that as a positive trajectory, then you’re not hopeful, you’re delusional (and maybe a little thick).
I can look at the growth in our freshmen and see hope. Obviously you cannot.

As we are seeing a couple of womens players stick to the University of Minnesota through the coaching change, I believe you'd see the same on the men's side. Not everyone will stay, but most coaches are able to keep a couple / few guys.

A good coach coming in after next year will not have any type of rebuild that Ben did when he lost everyone. I'd say that was partly on him, and mainly on Pitino's culture.

Last edited:

As we are seeing a couple of womens players stick to the University of Minnesota through the coaching change, I believe you'd see the same on the men's side. Not everyone will stay, but most coaches are able to keep a couple / few guys.

A good coach coming in after next year will not have any type of rebuild that Ben did when he lost everyone. I'd say that was partly on him, and mainly on Pitino's culture.
Pitino’s players loved him.

hopefully a coach who finished in last place his first two seasons has s sense of urgency.

14th to 14th is not a trajectory - its controlled flight into ground

hopefully a coach who finished in last place his first two seasons has s sense of urgency.

14th to 14th is not a trajectory - its controlled flight into ground
14th to 14th is what golfer's call "Worm burners" around the kiddos.

“He sees the path and trajectory of where we are going and we have in our program.”

I’m curious what Coyle is seeing here. It’s not borne out in wins. It’s certainly not borne out in statistics. Doesn’t really seem to be borne out in recruiting.

Is it improvement in the freshmen throughout the year? How much did they really improve? Just based purely on my eye test: JOJ yes certainly. Henley and Payne may’ve gained confidence. I didn’t see much from Carrington all year.

“He sees the path and trajectory of where we are going and we have in our program.”

I’m curious what Coyle is seeing here. It’s not borne out in wins. It’s certainly not borne out in statistics. Doesn’t really seem to be borne out in recruiting.

Is it improvement in the freshmen throughout the year? How much did they really improve? Just based purely on my eye test: JOJ yes certainly. Henley and Payne may’ve gained confidence. I didn’t see much from Carrington all year.
It’s Coyle trying to be positive with Ben.

Gotta stay behind him at least another year.

What else is Ben going to say?

"Yeah, I know he just canned Lindsay, and she had a better winning percentage than I do, so I know I'm toast if I can't find a way to win some more games in a hurry."

Obviously, he can't say anything like that publicly. So he's being the good scout and sticking to the company line.

But - if Ben truly, honestly believes that Coyle has his back - then he is a lot more naive than I imagined.

Might not want to trumpet that "path and trajectory" message too hard, Ben, as it's not exactly going the right direction.

2021 conference wins: 6 (Pitino)
2022 conference wins: 4 (Johnson)
2023 conference wins: 2 (Johnson)
A future so bright, you need shades.

What's the saying, something like, "It's not the stab in the back that kills you. It's when you turn around and see who's holding the knife."

Are your eyes closed or were you born blind? Just wondering because your incapacity to see improvement in our freshmen causes me to think you are seriously deficient of any observation skills.

Are your eyes closed or were you born blind? Just wondering because your incapacity to see improvement in our freshmen causes me to think you are seriously deficient of any observation skills.
You keep bringing up this point.

Why are the mods allowing this repetitive discussion?!?!? Please ban MennoSota and lock this thread.

You want the NCAA to look into why a top 20 recruit from California didn't want to go to a historically bad Big 10 school?
I want to know why he was all in and just lately wasn't. That, to me, is adults tampering.
But, it's Evans loss. This team is going to be good. But, you seem to be one who kicks and screams disaster all the way.

Top Bottom