Gophers’ Ben Johnson feels good about his core returning for 2023-24

Assuming both Battle and Garcia stay - and they are currently junior and sophomore, respectively - there's a lot less PT to spread around to a lot of underclassmen bigs. Just looking at it logically, someone is not going to play as much as they want, and these days, that means portalling. Putting aside things like loyalty and being local, I would be worried that Payne is a prime candidate for this - he could be "the man" in another program vs. having to split time for 3 years if he stays. JOJ is in a similar, but maybe lesser, quandary.

Again, this is all based on Garcia and Battle both staying - that changes if they don't.
The problem I see with Garcia and Battle is- we already have both and we have 1 win. I don't see them fitting together more or taking the next big jump. They are what they are. Something about that combo doesn't work. One or the other is the best shot and I think that Garcia is the better fit with Payne who will start and play big minutes next year.

How about fucking Lubbock! And yet Chris Beard built that thing into a Final Four team and a national title contender. Before that, people probably said some of the same things about them and fucking Lubbock than they say about Minneapolis.
TT is the toast of Lubbock and has a nice donor base. It’s also out in the middle of western Texas. Again all places have their positives and negatives. The coach can negate a lot of them too. My buddy lives in Lubbock and they love it. Different strokes for different folks. MSP is great for some, others don’t want it. It’s more than what we want it to be at this time. It is what it is, find the players what want to be here

Weather, isolation, and competition (from pro teams) are factors that can't have anything done about them.

Minneapolis is pretty much you have to fly here if you aren't from around here. Sure, that happens to be true with many players on many rosters anyway. People try to pass it off like it's a zero factor. I'm not saying it's huge, but it's more than zero. Being able to drive 5 hours to 30+Million people, vs here where that's probably more like 6-7M, is a more than zero factor.
I’d be more inclined to drive 5 hours to get away from 30+ million people.

The problem I see with Garcia and Battle is- we already have both and we have 1 win. I don't see them fitting together more or taking the next big jump. They are what they are. Something about that combo doesn't work. One or the other is the best shot and I think that Garcia is the better fit with Payne who will start and play big minutes next year.

You think Battle doesn't fit, yet also think Ola-Joseph is a SF and Henley is a 2 guard and that isn't the case either, especially on D. Battle out of position at the 3 is still better than both Ola-Joseph and Henley playing significant minutes out of position.

The whole roster is a mess and is why we'll be having the exact same conversations about a bottom of the B1G team next year unless there is a major overhaul at the guard position this offseason.

You think Battle doesn't fit, yet also think Ola-Joseph is a SF and Henley is a 2 guard and that isn't the case either, especially on D. Battle out of position at the 3 is still better than both Ola-Joseph and Henley playing significant minutes out of position.

The whole roster is a mess and is why we'll be having the exact same conversations about a bottom of the B1G team next year unless there is a major overhaul at the guard position this offseason.
Ola Joseph can beat people off the drive and take it to the hole. His shooting is coming and he has the quickness to become a good defender. I think he has what it takes to become a good three. Is Battle a better player NOW? Yes. I just think that Payne, Garcia and Ola Joseph can all fit together if JOJ and Payne continue to develop. We need guards. No disagreement there. Specifically a good point guard.

You just don't buy into ANY possible player development which is why you are so dark on the roster pieces. I am seeing substantial in season growth from Payne JOJ and Henley. There's lots of potential there with the right adds.

Assuming both Battle and Garcia stay - and they are currently junior and sophomore, respectively - there's a lot less PT to spread around to a lot of underclassmen bigs. Just looking at it logically, someone is not going to play as much as they want, and these days, that means portalling. Putting aside things like loyalty and being local, I would be worried that Payne is a prime candidate for this - he could be "the man" in another program vs. having to split time for 3 years if he stays. JOJ is in a similar, but maybe lesser, quandary.

Again, this is all based on Garcia and Battle both staying - that changes if they don't.
Sounds as if Battle will not be here next year.

Ola Joseph can beat people off the drive and take it to the hole. His shooting is coming and he has the quickness to become a good defender. I think he has what it takes to become a good three. Is Battle a better player NOW? Yes. I just think that Payne, Garcia and Ola Joseph can all fit together if JOJ and Payne continue to develop. We need guards. No disagreement there. Specifically a good point guard.

You just don't buy into ANY possible player development which is why you are so dark on the roster pieces. I am seeing substantial in season growth from Payne JOJ and Henley. There's lots of potential there with the right adds.

That's just not true. I believe they can develop, but they need to play the right position first.

Ola-Joseph has some quickness but so did Jordan Murphy. Neither had the speed or athleticism to guard 2/3's despite both of them being 6'6" ish, and that might be generous. Ola-Joseph has been torched all season on D, because he doesn't fit any position there. He's another undersized 4.

Henley and Ola-Joseph are far away from being B1G caliber starters on offense and defense. Much of their 'growth' have been in blowouts after teams have taken their foot off the gas pedal. Maryland played hard for about 10 minutes last night and that's all they needed to do to shut us down and cruise to an easy victory.

If those two are both starting next season, and Battle/Cooper are gone, it's possible we are even worse next year than this year.

If Henley can get some consistancy he is going to be pretty good. Might be the best PG the Gophers have right now, not saying much I know, and that is not his position. He can play multiple positions which is always helpful.

He may have 2 degrees by this Summer. Possible and we could know who is moving on Wisconsin game SR nite
Not likely. If he were a can’t miss pro, he can announce early that he’s leaving but he isn’t. Doubtful he takes a public bow on senior night.

With or without Evans I honestly can’t see this team not being terrible next year too. I’d like to see one of the assistants gone. Either Thorson or Kemp or I think we’ll see the same garbage we saw this year.

How are you feeling now Ben?

Just listened to the TGB pod. RJ said a nice core returning multiple times and I feel very deliberately never once mentioned Battle. I'll just assume that means he is out after the season.

How can you say this is true too? He’s with his guys everyday. He probably has an idea. You watch from afar and think you have a better idea?
It's great to know that Ben knew for sure that Battle, Cooper, Henley, TT and Evans wouldn't/won't be here in the fall. I'm so relieved that he knew that ahead of time because he is with his guys every day. And no, I don't/didn't have a better idea. I did know that he was/is FOS and was just using "coach speak". I wouldn't know what to say as a coach when my team is in disarray and I'm in way over my head. There has to be a script somewhere for coaches weather they are winning or losing. Ben needs to practice that script.

Top Bottom