Gophers’ Ben Johnson feels good about his core returning for 2023-24

why the bleep would Fox and Ihnen stick around through two ACL's and two rehab cycles, only to leave after they are healthy? Seriously, what 'market' would there be for them in the portal when no one has seen them play for two years? their best chance of playing is at MN.

sure, there is always a possibility of transfers in this day and age, but in order to transfer, there has to be another school that wants that player. I don't see any mass transfers. could one or two people leave? sure, that's possible. but I do expect most of the roster to be back.

I agree that there wouldn't be much of a market for Fox or Ihnen but that doesn't mean that they'll both return.

The Betts chatter is hilarious and just blatantly ignorant.

THE PLAN WAS ALWAYS TO REDSHIRT.

He wasn't expecting to play minutes this year.

He should be a senior in high school, and having him reclass is huge for two reasons:

1. Keeps other more prominent programs from offering as he continued to blossom
2. Gets him into a Big Ten strength and conditioning program

He should be lightyears ahead of where Carrington and Henley were. Ironically, JOJ was probably better prepared for this level of basketball due to prep school and practicing against other 4* and 5* players (even though he only played a reserve role).

Betts also has family ties in MN. I would be shocked if Payne, JOJ, Henley, Carrington, Betts, or Garcia left. That's the nucleus CBJ has to keep together.

It's absolutely bonkers to me that a team this bad has two players people are worried about leaving for pro ball. I mean Garcia maybe but still crazy. I guess there are some low-level INTL orgs out there but it is just wild that there is anyone on this team that looks ready to play next-level.
I think Maverick Ahanmisi is still playing pro ball

Ahmad Gilbert JR (played for 1 yr before transferring to a mid-major) is still playing pro ball (and well)

there are lots of ways (and places) to make money in this world

You’re underestimating how both of their skills would transfer in Euroball. They could both make money overseas and it wouldn’t even be the lowest levels.

Yeah I am not interested in and don't know enough about Euroball to have any awareness of skills translating. It is just fascinating that a team this historically terrible has pro-level players (for any league).

Edit: cool to see the updates on other former Gophs playing still.

The Betts chatter is hilarious and just blatantly ignorant.

THE PLAN WAS ALWAYS TO REDSHIRT.

He wasn't expecting to play minutes this year.

He should be a senior in high school, and having him reclass is huge for two reasons:

1. Keeps other more prominent programs from offering as he continued to blossom
2. Gets him into a Big Ten strength and conditioning program

He should be lightyears ahead of where Carrington and Henley were. Ironically, JOJ was probably better prepared for this level of basketball due to prep school and practicing against other 4* and 5* players (even though he only played a reserve role).

Betts also has family ties in MN. I would be shocked if Payne, JOJ, Henley, Carrington, Betts, or Garcia left. That's the nucleus CBJ has to keep together.

You're right that Betts was never going to play this year and he shouldn't. But I don't believe that's a good thing.

You contradicted yourself quite a bit. Betts was going to play at a prep school, albeit on a little less talented team than JOJ, but they still have quality D1 players. I think that helped JOJ a lot. Players need to play in meaningful games against quality peers. I think that accomplishes far more than sitting on the bench and practicing with one of the worst P6 teams in the country.

Betts is one of the lowest rated recruits Ben has brought in. Yes that may have changed if he played this year, but it did't change JOJ's rating much, and he still came here. With Betts family ties here, why would you be so worried about him not keeping his commitment?

Ben isn't going to have a 13 man rotation next year, and Betts is far and away the least likely to play. That's why it seems like a wasted scholarship this year.

Ihnen is the only one that stayed when BJ got hired...why would he leave.

Fox won't have many options.... he hasn't played in 2 years(Ihnen as well)

TT - commited as a Junior in High School....has always said he dreamed of being a Gopher

I don't see them leaving.

Samuels will leave :)
Betts possibly.

It's absolutely bonkers to me that a team this bad has two players people are worried about leaving for pro ball. I mean Garcia maybe but still crazy. I guess there are some low-level INTL orgs out there but it is just wild that there is anyone on this team that looks ready to play next-level.

Players make the pros all of time from bad teams. It's all about size, skill, athleticism, and projection. Garcia has always been a fringe NBA prospect. Even if Garcia wasn't drafted he could likely play in the G league, and definitely overseas.

Oturu was drafted after 2 years and Murphy played in the G league for awhile. I think Garcia is a better pro prospect than both of them.

You're right that Betts was never going to play this year and he shouldn't. But I don't believe that's a good thing.

You contradicted yourself quite a bit. Betts was going to play at a prep school, albeit on a little less talented team than JOJ, but they still have quality D1 players. I think that helped JOJ a lot. Players need to play in meaningful games against quality peers. I think that accomplishes far more than sitting on the bench and practicing with one of the worst P6 teams in the country.

Betts is one of the lowest rated recruits Ben has brought in. Yes that may have changed if he played this year, but it did't change JOJ's rating much, and he still came here. With Betts family ties here, why would you be so worried about him not keeping his commitment?

Ben isn't going to have a 13 man rotation next year, and Betts is far and away the least likely to play. That's why it seems like a wasted scholarship this year.
JOJ had an awful experience at Prep. I don’t think it helped him anymore than had he stayed at Osseo. It’s part of why they took Betts. Those prep games are awful and glorified pick up. He can get similar type of play just practicing with the team. Plus he gets a better weight program.
You say all this about Betts not playing but neither of us have an idea one way or the other.

I read on GI where Battle will have two degrees. With that, could he be looking to play across the pond?

no he hasnt...........
29% FG
28% 3PT
thats far from ok....and worse than Henley & JOJ
he, of all players on the roster, was recruited for his shooting 1st and foremost. so im not sure why you try to label him as an OK shooter
It's absolutely true that Carrington has had a poor year shooting. And, I believe he's a very good shooter who shot poorly. The college landscape is littered with very good shooters who shot very badly in their freshman season. That doesn't mean Carrington will emerge as a great shooter next year, but when you look at his stroke and you've watched him play in high school, it seems unlikely he will continue to shoot poorly.

His issue will be getting his shot off-if he doesn't improve his ability to drive and get to the basket it will be tough for him. He also can help the team with his defense (he got beat repeatedly early in the year on back doors, but he seems to have cleaned that up), which is starting to come around, and his rebounding ability, which is something sorely needed on this team. At some point he's going to be a valuable shooter for the Gophers, who are also badly in need of other shooters.

I like the prospect next year of having 4 shooters spreading the floor around Payne or Evans (assuming Evans shows some offensive capability). That hasn't happened at all this year. Battle and Garcia could be in a lineup with a portal guard who can shoot it and one other shooter to emerge from Carrington, Christie, Henley. That would have a large impact on their ability to score points. It's a lot of "ifs" but it's not too much of a stretch.

no he hasnt...........
29% FG
28% 3PT
thats far from ok....and worse than Henley & JOJ
he, of all players on the roster, was recruited for his shooting 1st and foremost. so im not sure why you try to label him as an OK shooter
It’s 4 makes away from being 34% from 3. That’s more than ok and not that far away. He’s been injured and it’s too early to judge either way at the college level. When he was healthy, he shot his best…

JOJ had an awful experience at Prep.

Well, I don't know whether he enjoyed it or not but I think the experience helped him. I watched about 10 minutes of one of their games and they had great talent and team speed. They were beating another elite team soundly. JOJ came off the bench and he looked a step slower than most of his teammates. That was probably the first time in a number of years that JOJ was low on the totem poll compared to his own teammates and his opponents. I think Payne, Carrington, and Henley would have been better off this season if they had done something similar instead of staying in environments where they were more dominant.

JOJ had an awful experience at Prep. I don’t think it helped him anymore than had he stayed at Osseo. It’s part of why they took Betts. Those prep games are awful and glorified pick up. He can get similar type of play just practicing with the team. Plus he gets a better weight program.
You say all this about Betts not playing but neither of us have an idea one way or the other.

If prep school is such a bad experience, then why do so many highly rated players go there?

And do we know whether going to prep school or not will have helped or hurt either one of them more? No. But Betts wasn't going to be a part of next year's rotation regardless so he'll eat up a scholarship for 2 years instead of 1 with little to no production.

And if you believe Betts will be a rotation player next year, assuming everyone will be back except TT, who will be replaced by a guard who will play, then pick 4 guys from this group who won't be a part of next year's rotation. And that's giving Ben a 9 man rotation which is generous:

Evans
Christie
Carrington
Henley
Ola-Joseph
Fox
Ihnen

It's absolutely true that Carrington has had a poor year shooting. And, I believe he's a very good shooter who shot poorly. The college landscape is littered with very good shooters who shot very badly in their freshman season. That doesn't mean Carrington will emerge as a great shooter next year, but when you look at his stroke and you've watched him play in high school, it seems unlikely he will continue to shoot poorly.

His issue will be getting his shot off-if he doesn't improve his ability to drive and get to the basket it will be tough for him. He also can help the team with his defense (he got beat repeatedly early in the year on back doors, but he seems to have cleaned that up), which is starting to come around, and his rebounding ability, which is something sorely needed on this team. At some point he's going to be a valuable shooter for the Gophers, who are also badly in need of other shooters.

I like the prospect next year of having 4 shooters spreading the floor around Payne or Evans (assuming Evans shows some offensive capability). That hasn't happened at all this year. Battle and Garcia could be in a lineup with a portal guard who can shoot it and one other shooter to emerge from Carrington, Christie, Henley. That would have a large impact on their ability to score points. It's a lot of "ifs" but it's not too much of a stretch.
Carrington seems to being lauded for getting a few rebounds at guard We need ball handling, defense and shooting at guard first and foremost Hopefully he will be better next season but right now he gives us very little,

It’s 4 makes away from being 34% from 3. That’s more than ok and not that far away. He’s been injured and it’s too early to judge either way at the college level. When he was healthy, he shot his best…
Spin it how you want. The poster said Carrington has been an OK shooter as a freshman. But then listed JOJ and Henley as not…..it’s an odd take regardless

We are not judging him on what he will be in the future. He has shot poorly as a freshman. It’s ok to say it. He’s 0-2 again tonight. His shooting is not ok right now. Sucks for him that he has missed so much time his freshman year. Just hasn’t been able to get comfortable. But again doesn’t change the fact that as a freshman he has shot poorly

Well, I don't know whether he enjoyed it or not but I think the experience helped him. I watched about 10 minutes of one of their games and they had great talent and team speed. They were beating another elite team soundly. JOJ came off the bench and he looked a step slower than most of his teammates. That was probably the first time in a number of years that JOJ was low on the totem poll compared to his own teammates and his opponents. I think Payne, Carrington, and Henley would have been better off this season if they had done something similar instead of staying in environments where they were more dominant.
It’s different with every kid. JOJ was his best player on his high school team but he was still a late riser. He still played for a good D1MN team that he rose above higher rated recruits to be their best player. Maybe it was the best route? Maybe he would’ve been better off with a very good HS coach at Osseo. We won’t know for sure but I do know he wished he’d stay here.

If my team weren't athletic enough to defend or rebound and were somehow unskilled enough that they were last in Division 1 in free throw shooting, I wouldn't feel so good.

If Betts had gone to prep school instead of eating up a scholarship here, why would he be any bigger flight risk than Evans or Christie? Wouldn't that be exactly the same situation? What am I missing?

If prep school is such a bad experience, then why do so many highly rated players go there?

And do we know whether going to prep school or not will have helped or hurt either one of them more? No. But Betts wasn't going to be a part of next year's rotation regardless so he'll eat up a scholarship for 2 years instead of 1 with little to no production.

And if you believe Betts will be a rotation player next year, assuming everyone will be back except TT, who will be replaced by a guard who will play, then pick 4 guys from this group who won't be a part of next year's rotation. And that's giving Ben a 9 man rotation which is generous:

Evans
Christie
Carrington
Henley
Ola-Joseph
Fox
Ihnen
Well the sell is there is little to no school and all hoops. These kids have handlers and parents who don’t know better. For some kids it’s a better experience. Betts played in a small league in Colorado. It made sense to find better comp one way or the other. MN metro schools are very well coached and the competition is good so it’s why we don’t have a ton that bolt.

Betts is a good 3 pt shooter. Seems like something we need so yeah I think he has a chance to crack the rotation. We will see. Everyone wants Ben to use all the scholarships to have confidence. Everyone wants better players, then maybe he passes one of the freshman this year. We will have to see but the competition is what we all wanted from Pitino.

Spin it how you want. The poster said Carrington has been an OK shooter as a freshman. But then listed JOJ and Henley as not…..it’s an odd take regardless

We are not judging him on what he will be in the future. He has shot poorly as a freshman. It’s ok to say it. He’s 0-2 again tonight. His shooting is not ok right now. Sucks for him that he has missed so much time his freshman year. Just hasn’t been able to get comfortable. But again doesn’t change the fact that as a freshman he has shot poorly
Not spinning anything. More just saying the sample size is too small and skewed. Therefore it’s not “far from ok”. No one is saying his season is good. Just more saying we can’t call it a disaster from a stats standpoint because the sample size is too small. The fact it’s too small because of injuries is a fair reason to call it a bad year imo.

No
My only complaint with his comment is where he said they have played in big games. They have nothing to lose. No expectations. It’s a lost season. The experience can help but the lack of importance to the season makes the games far different. Playing to win, playing to make the NCAA Tourney is a big game. Playing for your seasons life is a big game. Weakling Wednesday is not a big game.

I’d be shocked if any of the four freshman left. They all play 20+ minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if some reserves or injured players (TT, Ihnen) left. I wouldn’t be stunned if Battle or Garcia left to go make money though that would be tough for them to do I think.
m c a
Ihnen is the only one that stayed when BJ got hired...why would he leave.

Fox won't have many options.... he hasn't played in 2 years(Ihnen as well)

TT - commited as a Junior in High School....has always said he dreamed of being a Gopher
If a coach tells a player, you’re a pine brother and won’t be playing, they’ll transfer. This has shown in the last several games - no meaningful minutes to be had.
I don't see them leaving.

Samuels will leave :)
Betts possibly

Carrington seems to being lauded for getting a few rebounds at guard We need ball handling, defense and shooting at guard first and foremost Hopefully he will be better next season but right now he gives us very little,
I think it's occasionally an OK thing to point out something a player does well. And it is very valuable to have a guard with some size who can rebound. Carrington has shown some skill there. No arguments about the other things you point out that he needs to do better.

Carrington had a 20-point game. Even ONE game like that as a freshman translates to him having the potential to be a good Big Ten player when he's a junior.

Evans
Christie
Carrington
Henley
Ola-Joseph
Fox
Ihnen
I don't know on Betts but I like that we will have depth players.

Here's my 9:
Payne 30 Evans 10
Garcia 30 Ihnen 10
Ola Joseph 25 Ihnen 10 Henley 5
Henley 20 Christie 10 Carrington 10
Portal PG 30 Christie 10

I just have a feeling that Battle, Cooper and TT move on.
Battle, is just ok on defense and isn't playing team ball on offense
Evans is intriguing but not ready. I have no clue on Betts. If he is a shooter, he plays. If he is a bulldog defender, he plays
Who knows, maybe Fox is better than Ihnen, but I am thinking Ihnen for defense

My fear? Ben rolls the dice that Christie is a PG, Cooper stays for insurance, and our defense is Swiss cheese again.

I don't know on Betts but I like that we will have depth players.

Here's my 9:
Payne 30 Evans 10
Garcia 30 Ihnen 10
Ola Joseph 25 Ihnen 10 Henley 5
Henley 20 Christie 10 Carrington 10
Portal PG 30 Christie 10

I just have a feeling that Battle, Cooper and TT move on.
Battle, is just ok on defense and isn't playing team ball on offense
Evans is intriguing but not ready. I have no clue on Betts. If he is a shooter, he plays. If he is a bulldog defender, he plays
Who knows, maybe Fox is better than Ihnen, but I am thinking Ihnen for defense

My fear? Ben rolls the dice that Christie is a PG, Cooper stays for insurance, and our defense is Swiss cheese again.

That team loses every game by 18 instead of 20. And I think I’m being nice.

Top Bottom