Gophers’ Ben Johnson feels good about his core returning for 2023-24

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shipley:

If there is a silver lining to what has been a difficult season, Ben Johnson said, it’s that his freshmen have played so much, and in big games, that the Gophers coach feels good about them all returning for 2023-24.

In the age of the immediate eligibility for players in the NCAA transfer portal, that’s a good feeling.

“Can I say, ‘Everybody?’ No,” Johnson said Friday. “But do I have a pretty good idea that the base of what we’re doing will be back? Yeah.”

The Gophers enter Saturday night’s game against Penn State, an 8 p.m. tipoff at Williams Arena, with a 7-16 overall record, a 1-12 Big Ten record and leading scorer Dawson Garcia sidelined since Jan. 22 by foot injury.

Yes, it’s been a rough year.

But playing time, Johnson said, is the No. 1 reason players enter the transfer portal.

“Sometimes with younger kids, if they’re not playing their first year, then their second year looks kind of bleak,” he said. “That’s when you worry, ‘Dang, I might have to be able to juggle some things.’ ”

Go Gophers!!

Ben has no frickin idea who will be returning next fall. I have no doubt there will be plenty of surprises and more will hit the portal than expected.
How can you say this is true too? He’s with his guys everyday. He probably has an idea. You watch from afar and think you have a better idea?

Ben has no frickin idea who will be returning next fall. I have no doubt there will be plenty of surprises and more will hit the portal than expected.
What exactly is he supposed to say then coach? Please be specific

I disagree with the few who say, "You are failing if you do not win big right now because next year your players may be gone." No program can operate like that. Elsewhere I have read comments like that.

There is no substitute for recruiting and relying on your recruited players.

Could Garcia the best player sign on with a Sweet 16 next year team? Yes. At the same time, players are invested in this team and what is being built.

I disagree with the few who say, "You are failing if you do not win big right now because next year your players may be gone." No program can operate like that. Elsewhere I have read comments like that.

Could Garcia the best player sign on with a Sweet 16 next year team? Yes. At the same time, players are invested in this team and what is being built.
Garcia also have to sit out another year for the transfer.

It would be extremely difficult for Garcia to transfer again without sitting, until he graduates at least. No idea if the grad transfer rules are effected if someone uses their no sit transfer as an underclassmen. Also, the free transfer rule is only 1 or 2 seasons old. It is a very real possibility for large segments of a team to bail if it isn't working. Why do you think Ben started Samuels for half the season? He thought it gave the team the best chance to win NOW. This isn't the pros where losing can help you by way of the draft. I suppose you could offer playing time, but the best players aren't worried about that. Being only able to offer playing time has left us exactly where we are right now. Historically bad.

It would be extremely difficult for Garcia to transfer again without sitting, until he graduates at least. No idea if the grad transfer rules are effected if someone uses their no sit transfer as an underclassmen. Also, the free transfer rule is only 1 or 2 seasons old. It is a very real possibility for large segments of a team to bail if it isn't working. Why do you think Ben started Samuels for half the season? He thought it gave the team the best chance to win NOW. This isn't the pros where losing can help you by way of the draft. I suppose you could offer playing time, but the best players aren't worried about that. Being only able to offer playing time has left us exactly where we are right now. Historically bad.

Then it sounds like a balance between the two. Good points.

Wait, Ben is trying to win? I had bought into the losses don’t matter due to growth.

My only complaint with his comment is where he said they have played in big games. They have nothing to lose. No expectations. It’s a lost season. The experience can help but the lack of importance to the season makes the games far different. Playing to win, playing to make the NCAA Tourney is a big game. Playing for your seasons life is a big game. Weakling Wednesday is not a big game.

I’d be shocked if any of the four freshman left. They all play 20+ minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if some reserves or injured players (TT, Ihnen) left. I wouldn’t be stunned if Battle or Garcia left to go make money though that would be tough for them to do I think.

“Can I say, ‘Everybody?’ No,” Johnson said Friday. “But do I have a pretty good idea that the base of what we’re doing will be back? Yeah.”

This is just coach speak. What is he supposed to say? Who constitutes "the base"? If no one leaves, he'll say that he knew that was the case. If players X, Y and Z enter the portal, he will say he knew that they were leaving. It's a win/win statement for Ben. Obviously he has some sense of what is going on but he/you/me have no idea what is going through the heads of these 20 year olds especially after a historically bad season. All of these players have friends with other programs who are in their ear. I doubt that these players are sharing all of those conversations with Ben and the staff. I hope the following players are the only ones to enter the portal or otherwise not be on the roster next season: TT and Fox. Maybe Ihnen. I would like to see the following roster for 2023/2024:

portal PG
Cooper
Christie
Carrington
Henley
JOJ
Battle
Garcia
Payne
Evans
Betts
Ihnen (or portal player)
Portal PG or best available

So at least one portal PG, maybe 2 and potentially one other portal player. The top portal PG we get needs to have at least 2 years of eligibility remaining. This is my hope. We'll see.

we will have at least 3 transfer outs......and i would say it will be from this group....
TT
Cooper
Ihnen
Fox

then go out and get that high end transfer guard which will be extremely tough. but you offer him 35 minutes a game and the keys to the team

use another one on a freshman PG that has some upside and can play for 5-8 minutes a game. but also understands he will have to work his tail off to become a starter. down the road. or even a multi year transfer that maybe isnt a stud but a guy that can be here for more than 1 year and has some ability to work with. again so we dont have to play musical chairs at the PG position yet again the following year....

use the last one on Freshman/transfer foward depth

and as a side note i wouldnt be shocked if Garcia or Battle decide they want to get paid to play over seas....which would be a huge blow for this team and put BJ in a really bad spot for next year. but i do think/hope they both stay

"and as a side note i wouldnt be shocked if Garcia or Battle decide they want to get paid to play over seas....which would be a huge blow for this team and put BJ in a really bad spot for next year. but i do think/hope they both stay".

I'm not so sure. I see Battle and Garcia as 4's. If one leaves, JOJ or Henley could back up the one that stays. The 5 will be covered with Payne and Evans. Ihnen, if he is around, can also play that 4 spot. If they both stay, does Ben keep Battle at the 3? He seems to be struggling at that spot this season.

I would be shocked if both Battle/Garcia leave.

Either both return or just 1 leaves imo. And I put it 60/40 that 1 does bolt for money.

The key part of your statement is "elsewhere". No one on here is saying win big right now. But win some, definitely more than 1 and play hard all the time. Yes people say that on here.

In my mind, the most likely to leave are:
(1) TT: I dont see any scenario where he gets significant PT with our returning/incoming frontcourt depth.
(2) Fox/Ihnen: I would be surprised if both stayed unless they can both make the top 7. Scholarships are too hard to come by to use on players who havent seen the court in years and have limited remaining eligibility
(3) Cooper: Dependent on if we can secure a solid PG transfer and if so, can he slot into the 2. Of the four he is the one I would like see on next year's roster as a composed/experienced SG or backup PG.

The key part of your statement is "elsewhere". No one on here is saying win big right now. But win some, definitely more than 1 and play hard all the time. Yes people say that on here.
+1

"Win the Big Ten this year" would be an unfair and unreasonable expectation for a coach in year 2. "Be better than 1-14" is a pretty measured and realistic expectation. I know some think this is part of a grand rebuild plan, but to justify making fans sit through this kind of season, the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow would need to be pretty spectacular.

In my mind, the most likely to leave are:
(1) TT: I dont see any scenario where he gets significant PT with our returning/incoming frontcourt depth.
(2) Fox/Ihnen: I would be surprised if both stayed unless they can both make the top 7. Scholarships are too hard to come by to use on players who havent seen the court in years and have limited remaining eligibility
(3) Cooper: Dependent on if we can secure a solid PG transfer and if so, can he slot into the 2. Of the four he is the one I would like see on next year's roster as a composed/experienced SG or backup PG.
Fox- I just don't know much about. Ihnen, I want him to stay for sure because I think he will be a defensive swiss army knife at the very minimum. Defensively we need a major upgrade and I think he can really help.

We really need at least one quick PG. If we clear the space for that guy, get the right one and everyone else stays to compete for minutes- we will be a lot better next year.

we will have at least 3 transfer outs......and i would say it will be from this group....
TT
Cooper
Ihnen
Fox

then go out and get that high end transfer guard which will be extremely tough. but you offer him 35 minutes a game and the keys to the team

use another one on a freshman PG that has some upside and can play for 5-8 minutes a game. but also understands he will have to work his tail off to become a starter. down the road. or even a multi year transfer that maybe isnt a stud but a guy that can be here for more than 1 year and has some ability to work with. again so we dont have to play musical chairs at the PG position yet again the following year....

use the last one on Freshman/transfer foward depth

and as a side note i wouldnt be shocked if Garcia or Battle decide they want to get paid to play over seas....which would be a huge blow for this team and put BJ in a really bad spot for next year. but i do think/hope they both stay
Sounds like it may be more of a case of guys graduating and electing not to use their remaining eligibility versus transferring. Leads me to speculate that some combination of Ramberg, Cooper, Battle, Fox, or Ihnen

Sounds like it may be more of a case of guys graduating and electing not to use their remaining eligibility versus transferring. Leads me to speculate that some combination of Ramberg, Cooper, Battle, Fox, or Ihnen
I hope Ramberg stays as a walk on - I have to believe that he is a great practice player. Love his fight!

I don't see anyway Thompson is back next year, he is going to be buried even more than he already is.

Ramberg won't be on scholarship, might stick around as a walk on though. Depends on if he is enjoying just being part of the team and knows his future isn't going to include basketball so may as well stay in school and finish his degree.

I disagree with those that think Cooper might leave. I bet he is back next year.

Fox/Ihnen - won't be at all surprised if one or both is gone next season. Feel bad for both with the injuries, hopefully they can both come back here or somewhere else and end their college careers on a high note similar to what Eric Curry was able to do.

Battle - It would not shock me to see Battle leave, maybe as a grad transfer so that he doesn't have to sit out.

Not impossible that one of this year's freshman leaves but I don't think any of those 4 will. Garcia would seem likely to stick around as well for at least one more year. So to me, next years core looks like this:

Cooper
Carrington
Christie
Henley
Betts
JOJ
Garcia
Payne
Evans

50/50 Returning
Battle
Fox
Ihnen
Ramberg - back but not on scholarship seems likely

Gone
Thompson - transfer
Samuels - Graduation

Transfer portal focus will 1000% be on adding some guards in whatever spots are open.

Well, Happy New Year to U! 🥳

I don't see anyway Thompson is back next year, he is going to be buried even more than he already is.

Ramberg won't be on scholarship, might stick around as a walk on though. Depends on if he is enjoying just being part of the team and knows his future isn't going to include basketball so may as well stay in school and finish his degree.

I disagree with those that think Cooper might leave. I bet he is back next year.

Fox/Ihnen - won't be at all surprised if one or both is gone next season. Feel bad for both with the injuries, hopefully they can both come back here or somewhere else and end their college careers on a high note similar to what Eric Curry was able to do.

Battle - It would not shock me to see Battle leave, maybe as a grad transfer so that he doesn't have to sit out.

Not impossible that one of this year's freshman leaves but I don't think any of those 4 will. Garcia would seem likely to stick around as well for at least one more year. So to me, next years core looks like this:

Cooper
Carrington
Christie
Henley
Betts
JOJ
Garcia
Payne
Evans

50/50 Returning
Battle
Fox
Ihnen

Gone
Thompson - transfer
Samuels - Graduation

Transfer portal focus will 1000% be on adding some guards in whatever spots are open.

Why would Battle be 50/50 to leave and not Garcia? Where is Battle going to go? He's stated many times how happy he is to be back in MN playing for the Gophers and he's not going to leave for St. Thomas.

And if you think there's a chance he'll go pro, then Garcia is far more likely to test the pro waters to where he has a far better chance of making it over Battle.

I would not be surprised to see Garcia at least test the pro waters, and if he leaves, we have no chance of being competitive again next season.

Cooper
Carrington
Christie
Henley
Betts
JOJ
Garcia
Payne
Evans

50/50 Returning
Battle
Fox
Ihnen

Gone
Thompson - transfer
Samuels - Graduation

Battle will play here or go pro. No other college for him.

Top Bottom