GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 9/29/13

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill discussed yesterday's loss to Iowa. He was disappointed in the Gophers play and said Iowa played an outstanding game - "They're a good team." During the discussion, he said several times that they (team) need to move on and get better . . . everybody is going to be tough that they face in the Big Ten.

1) Sid opened the segment asking if he had drawn any conclusions after watching the game film of yesterday's tussle with Iowa: Kill replied that they haven't broken down the film yet and only gave it a cursory look, because they've been busy hosting several recruits this weekend.

He said the Gophers got beat because of their lack of execution and Iowa did a good job executing their game plan. He also said - without elaboration - a player getting handled at the line of scrimmage not the whole team. I took it that he was saying too often a player or two would get taken out which led to good runs by the Iowa backs.

He also mentioned dropped passes, passes behind the receivers, missing run blocks, which a team cannot afford to do, if they want to win. He added, "Hard to win a game when the opposition runs the ball well and we don't."

2) Sid asked about Philip Nelson starting at QB: Kill quickly answered, "He's our starting quarterback . . . Philip practiced all week . . . we need two quarterbacks."

3) Sid made the comment that Iowa is a better team than everybody thought: "I told everybody Iowa's a better team that last year," Kill said. Kill was impressed with Iowa's QB, "Ruddock was active; called a good game at the line." Kill added, "(Iowa) Beat us at every position . . . they have a good football team."

He concluded, speaking about Big 10 opponents, including Michigan, "We have to step up to the challenge and get ready for the next one."

4) Sid asked who would be the starting QB next week for Minnesota: Sounding surprised and, IMO, testy when he answered, "Our quarterback is the same it's been all year . . . Philip is back." He added, "And Mitch is ready if needed."

5) Sid asked about the line play of (offense and defense) Iowa: Kill said Iowa's outside zone line blocking "stretched out our defense." As to their (Hawks) line blocking, "(Iowa's) Flattened us out." Again, he sounded impressed with Iowa's execution and disappointed in Minnesota's lack of execution.

Kill said Iowa's defensive line did a very good job of protecting their linebackers, which made Minnesota's running and passing game difficult. Kill again mentioned the importance of execution and Iowa controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

6) Dave cited the play of Derrick Engel and Brock Vereen: "Derrick did some good things, getting off coverage - works hard . . . I can say the same about Brock Vereen."

7) Dave then mentioned Donnell Kirkwood's play: Kill replied, "Got him worked in . . . the game dictates what you do . . . they had control of the game, we didn't." He sounded as though he would've liked to seen Kirkwood on the playing field, however, playing catch up as they did in the second half limited Kirkwood's playing time.

8) Sid misspoke when he said Minnesota was down 14-7 when Damond Powell of Iowa caught the ball and ran 74 yards for a touchdown: Kill responded about the big play, "We blitzed and were in man coverage . . . (Iowa) got our pursuit knocked down . . . we didn't execute . . . they executed better than we did." (Iowa caught Minnesota with the right play for a blitz and man coverage and they executed it well. Powell is definitely a burner.) I recall Minnesota tried to get a commitment from the speedy receiver last year; however, he honored his commitment to Iowa.

9) Dave mentioned Drew Wolistarsy (true freshman) saying Drew saw extended play in yesterday's game: "He's getting better . . . Donavahn Jones played, too . . . getting feet wet," he answered. Again, Kill said the team needs to work hard and get better.

10) Dave then asked about the play of Maxx Williams: Kill sounded very high on Maxx's ability and that they like to move him around. Yesterday, Maxx was filling in for Mike Henry. "Mike Henry is our true fullback."

11) Sid asked about Michigan's play against Connecticut: Kill said that Michigan had a bye week this week and Minnesota will get a bye week between Michigan and Northwestern. Kill played down the advantages of a bye week - it's part of the scheduling process. He said Minnesota needs to get ready for the next game (Michigan) and every game. All of the teams that they face in conference play are good. He concluded, "(Yesterday) Ugly game, didn't play well."

12) Mona asked about the quarterback play and the receivers not getting separation: "Down and distance is a team effort . . . don't want to be second and long or third and long, especially against Iowa." He said Iowa would give the short routes but played good coverage on the deep routes. Again, he mentioned Minnesota's lack of execution in its play (offense and defense).

13) Sid asked about injuries: Kill responded saying he doesn't have an injury report and won't have one until this afternoon.

NOTE: I'll be on vacation next week. So I won't be transcribing next week's Sports Huddle.

Go Gophers!!

DL you are a true professional. To have the dedication to transcribe the Sports huddle after yesterday is yeoman work. You deserve a week off.

DL you are a true professional. To have the dedication to transcribe the Sports huddle after yesterday is yeoman work. You deserve a week off.

It is nice to know that DL65 is always there for us rain or shine (except next week).:) I will try to post next week's podcast as soon as it is available.

Thanks DL.

A bit off the topic, but I was listening to the segment with Zach Johnson prior to the game and at one point Johnson said something to the effect that "If Iowa has 200+ yards passing, I think that means will be beating them badly because we will have taken them out of our game plan." I immediately thought "Or else they scouted us against San Jose State." Iowa's QB certainly isn't in the same class as Fales, but we have a few holes in our passing game. Granted, almost 1/3 of Iowa's passing yards came on one play, but we have to play a little more consistently on defense.

As always as well. Thanks for the report.

Top Bottom