GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 4/27/14

DL65

Reaction score
First, thank you to bleedgopher for stepping up and posting a great recap of last week’s Sports Huddle with Coach Jerry Kill.

Today’s Summary:

1) Sid opened the weekly segment by asking Coach Kill about this week’s union vote by the Northwestern team and players getting paid: “There’s a lot of speculation,” replied Kill, “we’ll have to wait and see.” He then talked briefly about some of the changes that the NCAA will make in the way of stipends for the players, “We’ll see many more changes . . . we have to be careful with what and how you do it . . . (we) don’t want professionals.” There was a cautionary tone in his response and comments to the question raised by Sid.

2) Sid asked for an update on the team’s injured players: Kill said the team was in the weightlifting phase and getting people healed up via rehab, “We’ve got some time.” Again, Kill said that was the reason for starting spring drills earlier than they have in the past – allowing additional time in the weight room and getting everyone ready for August camp. He sounded optimistic about getting the players in rehab in physical condition for fall drills.

3) Dave Mona brought up the topic of special clinics that were conducted yesterday. According to Mona, about 75 kids battling cancer attended the morning session: “Our young people (football players) stepped up,” said Kill. Kill sounded pleased and proud of the players: “Three or four events going on yesterday . . . Our kids just did it.” He also mentioned the importance of giving back to the community – something they stress all the time with the players.

4) Dave Mona asked about the reception that Kill has received related to the need of new sports facilities: Kill responded quickly, “People in the state – everybody knows we need some help (indoor facilities) for all sports.” He briefly mentioned today’s weather as well as the unpredictable weather that the teams experience in winter and spring. During his comments, Kill made sure he emphasized the need for the upgrades for all of the U’s sports teams and athletes.

5) Sid inquired about the coaches and if they would be meeting with coaches from other teams during the down period now that springs drills were completed: “All our guys on the road (recruiting) . . . next four weeks on the road for the next class,” Kill answered. As to other coaching staffs visiting with the Gopher coaches, Kill said that that has already occurred, “Some already in.”

6) Dave Mona mentioned the need for receivers, which was apparently met in the recent class. So he asked what their emphasis in recruiting would be in the coming class: “Offensive line,” Kill quickly responded. He said they’ll be losing several linemen after this season, and they intend to "sign four or stretch to five.” He stressed the offensive line is a point of emphasis in this year’s recruiting efforts. On the defensive side, emphasis is on developing more depth, replacing some defensive backs and going after a couple linebackers.

7) Sid asked how the recruiting was going, thus far: “I think things are going good . . . we can’t afford any mistakes,” Kill answered. As usual, he stressed the importance of evaluation in their recruiting efforts.

8) Sid followed his question up by asking about next year’s recruiting class, and if there are a lot seniors on this year’s team: “We’ll have a great senior class,” said Kill. As a result, he expects 2015 recruiting class to be in the twenty (20) scholarship range. Kill went onto say that the team is getting more balanced due to the retention of players; so there haven’t been wide swings (loss of recruits in the respective classes) as had been the case in prior years (before Kill’s arrival at Minnesota).

9) Dave Mona asked how things were going with the 2014 class (qualified players and clearinghouse-related cases): Kill replied, “I think things are going good with our kids . . . a couple have to finish up strong . . . we stay very close – still recruiting them for five years (at the U)”

10) Dave Mona mentioned offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Matt Limegrover being excited about the receivers coming in: Kill stressed the importance of competition and motivating the returning players, “Competition is good anytime you lose somebody (bringing in talented recruits should motivate the returning players) . . . we have to get better . . . Class coming in is young and talented.” Kill sounded excited and said he’s looking forward to the competition that will take place during the summer months and at the start of fall drills.

He closed saying that transfers are a part of the recruiting process. You always lose a player or two when they transfer to other schools for playing time.

Go Gophers!!

While the weather isn't what we want it to be particularly on a weekend. I like the fact that Kill is giving 75 "cancer" kids an opportunity for some "sun," fun and hope in their lives. With that thought, I'm sure the players are getting something out of it as well and they feel good about what they are doing.

As always thanks for a great recap. I wouldn't know about these events that are going on at the U if it weren't for you.

I would start chanting DL65 for President, but being the selfish person I am, I would campaign against him, because we (GH) that is, can't afford to lose him. Thanks, to the max, DL.

While the weather isn't what we want it to be particularly on a weekend. I like the fact that Kill is giving 75 "cancer" kids an opportunity for some "sun," fun and hope in their lives. With that thought, I'm sure the players are getting something out of it as well and they feel good about what they are doing.

As always thanks for a great recap. I wouldn't know about these events that are going on at the U if it weren't for you.

I've been around similar camps like this one before, and can say many times the players have just as much fun as the kids. Great events.

Thanks Coach Kill for yesterday's Kids camp...

Took my grandsons to Kill's free football camp yesterday afternoon. They had a blast and the players did a great job. Glad they are doing these things. Coach Kill was not there, but his staff and players made it a lot of fun for our boys. Great PR move by the U and Coach Kill. Thanks and keep up the good work.

I would start chanting DL65 for President, but being the selfish person I am, I would campaign against him, because we (GH) that is, can't afford to lose him. Thanks, to the max, DL.

Make him Pope, then

Top Bottom