GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 2/8/15

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Jerry Kill’s comments – primarily this year’s recruiting class – on the Sports Huddle are as follows:

1) Sid asked for Kill’s thoughts on this year’s recruiting class: Kill sounded excited in his response. “We feel good about it . . . Our kids have done a good job recruiting . . . They’re our best recruiters.”

Kill said team members would tell the recruits about Gopher culture, which, according to Kill, is very important as they try to get recruits that will fit well in the Gopher program.

2) Sid then asked Kill if he thought some of the recruits will see the field next year: Kill replied, “We want them all come in with attitude that they can play (right away).”

Kill sounded positive about the recruiting class and that there are recruits that we will see play next fall, but he didn’t give any names of recruits who may see playing time next fall.

3) Sid gave a lengthy account of a Minnesota parent who wanted his son to play at Iowa State University. When the father asked a Cyclone coach why they didn’t recruit Minnesota, the coach reportedly said, ”Jerry Kill has put a fence around Minnesota.” Sid then cited the two big-team recruits that left Minnesota this year: Coach Kill replied in a matter-of fact-tone, “We’ve got challenges ahead of us.” He went on to say that he’s checked the Wisconsin and Iowa rosters and didn’t see any Minnesota players that they (Gopher coaches) recruited. He did mention Tyler Marz. a Minnesota native, who is playing for the Badgers, however.

Kill acknowledged that two Minnesota recruits opted to play at Ohio State and Oregon. When he finished his statement about the two 2015 Minnesota recruits leaving the state to the finalists in this year’s first-ever playoff Championship game, Kill said emphatically, “We need that facility.”

He finished answering the question saying they have to work harder to keep the local talent home.

4) Dave Mona wanted to know his thoughts about two recruits who signed their Letters of Intent: Jonathan Femi-Cole, a runningback, and quarterback Demry Croft: Kill said, “Femi-Cole is built like Melvin Gordon . . . I’m not saying he’s Melvin Gordon.” Coach Kill sounded excited when he talked about the Canadian player’s athleticism and speed. A plus in recruiting Canadian players: when a Canadian player commits to a school the recruiting of the player is “shut off.”

Kill also sounded very excited when he described Croft’s abilities as a quarterback. He said Croft has good speed, is athletic, and can throw the ball – strong arm.
They discovered and started recruiting Croft when he attended one of Minnesota’s summer camp.

5) Sid said he understood that 2016 will be a good year in Minnesota for recruiting: “Yeah . . . We’re recruiting hard ( in Minnesota for next year’s class) . . . Two or three will be national recruits,” replied Kill.

6) Mona asked about the quarterbacks and receivers who are in school and working out during the off-season: Kill replied, “Our kids are working hard.” Kill sounded excited when he talked about the size of the receiving corps, including two recruits that will report for school in June and summer camp in August.

7) Mona asked about Jeff Jones and Georgia runningback Rodney Smith: Kill didn’t say anything about Jones, because, as he said, they knew his abilities as they were recruiting him and they’re looking forward to seeing him in spring drills.

He spoke at length on the athletic abilities of Rodney Smith: “Rodney Smith is special, big time recruit . . . 205 pounds . . . People will be excited . . . He could’ve played this year.” He didn’t play because they didn’t need to given the depth and talent at runningback.

8) Sid asked Kill if there will be position changes this spring: Kill answered Sid’s query saying “at this point” he didn’t think there’d be any changes. However, he did say the coaches will get together in late February to discuss what changes, if any, will occur in the spring drills.

9) Sid asked Kill if he were open to transfers: Kill talked about the benefits of having JUCO transfers, “but we need to be careful.(selective).” By his comments there are a few, good JUCO players that haven’t signed a Letter of Intent; however, I didn’t take it that he is planning to sign anymore JuCO players this year.

10) Kill discussed the abilities of three redshirt recruits, after Mona asked about Gentry and Gant: He said (excitedly) Holland is the third redshirt recruit at wide receiver. Gant recently had a 40” vertical jump and Gentry “is gifted. “Those three we’re excited about.” He also said they’re excited with the recruited receivers that are coming to Minnesota.

11) Kill sounded positive when discussing the center position. He was excited and glad that Jon Christenson will be available. He also mentioned Brian Bobek, Conor Mayes and Tyler Moore, who is in school and available for spring drills.

Go Gophers!!

As always, thanks DL. My Sunday is complete!

time for my weekly hole post. much, much thanks OP. great stuff, appreciate the summary.

DL, what about Kaler, will you be doing a summary of what he had to say? I did see this.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DL: Do you take notes during the segment or do you do this all by memory? Thanks again for your weekly recap.

DL, what about Kaler, will you be doing a summary of what he had to say? I did see this.

My guess is that is certainly true and his personal preference is also that it is done a.s.a.p. and is working towards making that happen. But being President he of course also has to speak publicly in measured terms and be bureaucratically sensitive to some of his departmental reports in what he can and cannot say publicly or how hard he can "push" publicly from a political standpoint. Just part of the politics of being President of course.

I will post the podcast when it is available. There was problems with the phone connection though. Also, it was more of a clarification and support speech.

Coach Jerry Kill’s comments – primarily this year’s recruiting class – on the Sports Huddle are as follows:

1) Sid asked for Kill’s thoughts on this year’s recruiting class: Kill sounded excited in his response. “We feel good about it . . . Our kids have done a good job recruiting . . . They’re our best recruiters.”

Kill said team members would tell the recruits about Gopher culture, which, according to Kill, is very important as they try to get recruits that will fit well in the Gopher program.

2) Sid then asked Kill if he thought some of the recruits will see the field next year: Kill replied, “We want them all come in with attitude that they can play (right away).”

Kill sounded positive about the recruiting class and that there are recruits that we will see play next fall, but he didn’t give any names of recruits who may see playing time next fall.

3) Sid gave a lengthy account of a Minnesota parent who wanted his son to play at Iowa State University. When the father asked a Cyclone coach why they didn’t recruit Minnesota, the coach reportedly said, ”Jerry Kill has put a fence around Minnesota.” Sid then cited the two big-team recruits that left Minnesota this year: Coach Kill replied in a matter-of fact-tone, “We’ve got challenges ahead of us.” He went on to say that he’s checked the Wisconsin and Iowa rosters and didn’t see any Minnesota players that they (Gopher coaches) recruited. He did mention Tyler Marz. a Minnesota native, who is playing for the Badgers, however.

Kill acknowledged that two Minnesota recruits opted to play at Ohio State and Oregon. When he finished his statement about the two 2015 Minnesota recruits leaving the state to the finalists in this year’s first-ever playoff Championship game, Kill said emphatically, “We need that facility.”

He finished answering the question saying they have to work harder to keep the local talent home.

4) Dave Mona wanted to know his thoughts about two recruits who signed their Letters of Intent: Jonathan Femi-Cole, a runningback, and quarterback Demry Croft: Kill said, “Femi-Cole is built like Melvin Gordon . . . I’m not saying he’s Melvin Gordon.” Coach Kill sounded excited when he talked about the Canadian player’s athleticism and speed. A plus in recruiting Canadian players: when a Canadian player commits to a school the recruiting of the player is “shut off.”

Kill also sounded very excited when he described Croft’s abilities as a quarterback. He said Croft has good speed, is athletic, and can throw the ball – strong arm.
They discovered and started recruiting Croft when he attended one of Minnesota’s summer camp.

5) Sid said he understood that 2016 will be a good year in Minnesota for recruiting: “Yeah . . . We’re recruiting hard ( in Minnesota for next year’s class) . . . Two or three will be national recruits,” replied Kill.

6) Mona asked about the quarterbacks and receivers who are in school and working out during the off-season: Kill replied, “Our kids are working hard.” Kill sounded excited when he talked about the size of the receiving corps, including two recruits that will report for school in June and summer camp in August.

7) Mona asked about Jeff Jones and Georgia runningback Rodney Smith: Kill didn’t say anything about Jones, because, as he said, they knew his abilities as they were recruiting him and they’re looking forward to seeing him in spring drills.

He spoke at length on the athletic abilities of Rodney Smith: “Rodney Smith is special, big time recruit . . . 205 pounds . . . People will be excited . . . He could’ve played this year.” He didn’t play because they didn’t need to given the depth and talent at runningback.

8) Sid asked Kill if there will be position changes this spring: Kill answered Sid’s query saying “at this point” he didn’t think there’d be any changes. However, he did say the coaches will get together in late February to discuss what changes, if any, will occur in the spring drills.

9) Sid asked Kill if he were open to transfers: Kill talked about the benefits of having JUCO transfers, “but we need to be careful.(selective).” By his comments there are a few, good JUCO players that haven’t signed a Letter of Intent; however, I didn’t take it that he is planning to sign anymore JuCO players this year.

10) Kill discussed the abilities of three redshirt recruits, after Mona asked about Gentry and Gant: He said (excitedly) Holland is the third redshirt recruit at wide receiver. Gant recently had a 40” vertical jump and Gentry “is gifted. “Those three we’re excited about.” He also said they’re excited with the recruited receivers that are coming to Minnesota.

11) Kill sounded positive when discussing the center position. He was excited and glad that Jon Christenson will be available. He also mentioned Brian Bobek, Conor Mayes and Tyler Moore, who is in school and available for spring drills.

Go Gophers!!

Wow, nice work! Thanks.

DL: Do you take notes during the segment or do you do this all by memory? Thanks again for your weekly recap.

I take notes; however, sometimes I have to study my notes to decipher them. It can happen when you're my age (will be 68 next month), my penmanship is not what it once was. As to memory, you can't depend on it totally at any age, but especially when we grow older.

I didn't take notes when President Kaler was on the Sports Huddle.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments!

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL. Great as always.

As per Sid, his blind homerism has always kind of driven me up a wall, but I heard him the other morning with Dave Lee and Sid is still truckin' and I have to give him credit for that. There are times it seems he can barely put the words together, but he's a mensch and doing what he loves at his age. Great work Sid.

I take notes; however, sometimes I have to study my notes to decipher them. It can happen when you're my age (will be 68 next month), my penmanship is not what it once was. As to memory, you can't depend on it totally at any age, but especially when we grow older.

I didn't take notes when President Kaler was on the Sports Huddle.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments!

Go Gophers!!
68? I had you to be about 40! Great recap as always and like others my day is complete!

He went on to say that he’s checked the Wisconsin and Iowa rosters and didn’t see any Minnesota players that they (Gopher coaches) recruited.
I don't know how he can say that when Keelon Brookins decommitted from Minnesota to go to Wisconsin and Malik Rucker had a Gopher offer.

DL's reports are the only thing on GH where everyone is in agreement in that his posts are great!

Thanks DL.

I don't know how he can say that when Keelon Brookins decommitted from Minnesota to go to Wisconsin and Malik Rucker had a Gopher offer.

Maybe he meant literally playing for them in games, in which case he would be right I think.

The kids that got away seemed to have ties elsewhere

Maybe he meant literally playing for them in games, in which case he would be right I think.
Marz both of his parents are UW graduates and his family is from there so I get why we lost him as a recruit.

Rucker his dad was a Nebraska football player, Gophers did not offer until after Iowa did and Rucker attended those guys camp and Junior days. He played on all of those guys Iowa's special teams this year, kickoff and punt units. So he will likely end up playing CB for them.

Brookins,after his knee injury I don't think he has seen the field for the Badgers, but it is correct that the Badgers picked him off and that he decomitted from Minnesota that was publicized in the paper, and on both sites.
After those years, don't think Kill has lost anyone else to Wisconsin or Iowa from Minnesota borders.

I believe this may be one of the reasons WI has their third new coach in three years. The better Minnesota does with taking care of closing the borders the worse off WI and Iowa become. Thank you Jerry Kill.

Marz both of his parents are UW graduates and his family is from there so I get why we lost him as a recruit.

I didn't know that Springfield, MN was in Wisconsin. He may very well have relatives in WI - don't know that myself. I do know Marz a little bit - saw him play a number of FB and BB games in HS and talked to him a few times - although I never talked to him about recruiting. I think it's been well-documented - and my conversations with people from Springfield bear this out - that Marz never considered playing for the Gophers. I was told he said "he wanted to play for a winner." If Kill had been with the Gophers at the time instead of Brewster, it might have been different. Of course, if I was 2 feet taller, I could have played in the NBA.

Top Bottom