GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 2/1/15

DL65

Reaction score
Sid and Mike Max asked Jerry Kill several recruiting questions on today’s Sports Huddle.

1) Mike Max opened the questioning by asking if there are certain strategies that are implemented in the final days – visits and closing the deal on recruits - before Signing Day, Wednesday, February 4th: Kill replied,“It’s been unique - we lost three, four days of recruiting (dead period during the national coaches conference) . . . We’ll sign 21, 22 kids . . . (there are) 4, 5 guys that we need to squeeze a bit . . . It’s been a traveling nightmare . . . Everybody gets surprises on Signing Day.”

Sid asked when the recruits can sign their tenders. Kill said the players can’t sign their Letter of Intent until 7 a.m. on Wednesday: “It’s not an easy time!”

Kill’s final comments to Max’s opening question: “We get one phone call today (to recruits) . . . Monday and Tuesday we can call anytime . . . I’ve got two young men (recruits) in my house today.”

By his comments, you could tell – voice and answers - that this is a busy and stressful time for the coaches. As Kill said later in the show, their jobs are dependent on getting quality recruits every year and improvement in the classes from one year to the next.

2) Mike Max asked about the changes in coaching staffs in the conference and the effect it has had on recruiting: Kill immediately cited the change at Michigan: “Harbaugh’s flipped a few, (recruits that had committed to) Nebraska and Texas . . . Wisconsin has come on a couple people that have committed (to the Gophers).”

Again, Kill stressed that players flipping or reneging on their commitments is common in the recruiting process.

3) Sid asked if Minnesota lost any of their commitments last year: “No, we held on,” said Kill. He said South Carolina came in late and they tried to “flip” Jerry Gibson to the Gamecocks. It, no doubt, was an “uneasy time” for the Gopher coaching staff during the final days leading up to National Signing Day, especially with South Carolina’s recruitment of Jerry Gibson.

4) Sid asked if Kill could compare this year’s class with the 2014, which according to Sid was a real good class of recruits: Kill did not offer a comparison; however, he sounded pleased with this year’s class: “Every year you’ve got to get better . . . We’ve recruited real good . . . (filled) real needs - offensive line, secondary, (and) more speed . . . Every year we’ve improved our recruiting . . . We get some recommendations from Tom Lemming (recruiting service) . . . We’ve been able to recruit better players.”

Kill also cited the recruiting efforts of Billy Glasscock, Director of Recruiting Operations. Glasscock recently received an award for recruiting at Lemming’s annual banquet.

It was during Kill’s response to Sid’s query that he said their coaching jobs are dependent on successful recruiting – you win with good players.

Sid asked if they had recruited a tight end, because of Maxx Williams’ departure and declaration for the NFL draft: (Laughing) Kill replied, “We’ll see Wednesday . . . We’ve certainly recruited one.”

In my opinion, Kill sounded excited and pleased with this year’s class. Nevertheless, he said the recruiting of this year’s class is not finished until Signing Day, and they need to hold on to their commitments. It is, as Kill said, “. . . not an easy time.”

Go Gophers!!

Good job DL. Thnx. Also appreciate your personal takes. Go Gophers!!!!!

Thanks, DL. Makes me a little jittery. I like this class.

OP, as usual great job, much thanks.

Thanks, DL. Makes me a little jittery. I like this class.

I thought Coach has said we will sign up to 25. Now its 21-22? Reading his comments makes me wonder if he knows that a couple of our verbals are considering flipping and, since we list 23 at this time, we may not get any more verbals.

Hope they can keep everyone on board.

Thanks DL. Now enjoy the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Coach has said we will sign up to 25. Now its 21-22? Reading his comments makes me wonder if he knows that a couple of our verbals are considering flipping and, since we list 23 at this time, we may not get any more verbals.

4 are already on board.

21-22 not including the 4 already signed.

Bayfieldgopher, I know that the numbers that have been tossed around can be confusing. However - my take only - a few weeks back he said the recruits now in school are counted with last year's class. So the 21 or 22 number may be the allotted number of recruits for 2015. Maybe someone that follows recruiting closely can chime in. As to recruits/commits possibly "flipping," Kill said Wisconsin has been recruiting some of the Gopher commits. Like Coach Kill said, there are surprises on signing day, they're continually recruiting their commits, and it's certainly an uneasy time for the coaches.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL! Coach Kill is always presents himself as pretty cool and calm. I don't think that one has to look too closely "between the lines" to see that this time of year is flat out stressful for him and his staff. Go Gophers!

Thanks guys. I feel better already. Forgot about the 4 already on board.

Make them all "Golden" Jerry!!! :)

Thanks guys. I feel better already. Forgot about the 4 already on board.

Make them all "Golden" Jerry!!! :)

I'm with you Bayfieldgopher. It is all very confusing. They didn't teach me new math when I went to school either.

Kill also likes to hold on to 1 or 2 scholarships for a late.signee

Top Bottom