GopherHole Sports Huddle Summary with Assistant Head Coach Bill Miller - 12/30/12

DL65

Reaction score
Sid opened the segment asking about the differences between the John Gutekunst era and now with coach Jerry Kill. (Miller was on Gutekunst's staff as a defensive back coach.)

1) Recruiting: Miller cited players from the state of Minnesota during his first stop at Minnesota. He mentioned Ron Goetz, Darrell Thompson, et al. He said they had some real good players from the state.

Recruiting is much more structured now than it was 20 plus years ago. Supposedly it's now a more level playing field; however, he alluded that the big boys still have an advantage overall, but he was not specific.

He was very positive about the future at Minnesota. With the support of the current administration he's confident that they'll be able to attract Big 10 caliber players to the Minnesota program.

One other difference in recruiting from previous years is the advent of the social media: "It's foreign to me."

2) Sid asked, "Can you win here?" Miller immediately responded: "We can because we have the backing of real Minnesota fans." He then said President Eric Kaler and Norwood Teague are behind the program and that they expect new facilities and greater financial support than in years past.

Additionally, the longevity of coach Kill's staff is a big plus in recruiting and it's something they sell to the recruits and their parents.

3) Sid asked about next year's defense and the loss of senior players: "I feel good about our young players." He specifically cited the loss of Michael Carter and Troy Stoudermire (both may be in post season all-star games); however, he then cited a number of the DBs coming back and was very positive in his comments. The defensive backs will be a strength next season, "Going to miss the seniors, but we have good players returning."

Sid then asked about the linebacking position and the loss of several linebackers and was he high on any redshirts: Miller responded, "Jack Lynn is going to be a real good player." He said linebacking is a major focus in this year's recruiting (couldn't talk about the commitments but sounded positive) and that they want to sign at least 3 linebackers in this year's class.

Miller then turned his attention to the defensive line (only one loss through graduation - D L Wilhite) and sounded very excited about the returnees for next season. "It's what's up front that counts." He expects the defensive line to be a strength next year.

4) On Friday's game, Sid said, "I thought you'd get killed." Miller: "I told Tracy (Tracy Claeys, defensive coordinator) he did a great job calling the defensive game." "The kids played their hearts out." He went on to say the kids have confidence now and that should carry over in to the off season.

5) Dave Mona mentioned the defensive scheme of 2 linebackers and 5 DBs: "Needed to match up speed for speed." In some cases, they had six DBs on the field. Miller concluded: "Proud of our guys; disasppointed how it finished."

Go Gophers!!

" Miller concluded: 'Proud of our guys; disasppointed how it finished.' "

I think most of us felt the exact same way, and then the meltdowns began here on GH and made the experience and the excitement of the entire game fall by the wayside.

When any team loses any game that is close, it is always easy to point blame at a certain individual or a certain group or a certain play, when in actuality, it is a combination of factors, none more or less important than the others. It is what it is, and that is why I now avoid commenting on the meltdown threads because I get more angry at the idiocy of those than I do anything else.

Season is over, let's look ahead to next year with optimism and enthusiasm.

GO GOPHERS!!!

I think most of us felt the exact same way, and then the meltdowns began here on GH and made the experience and the excitement of the entire game fall by the wayside.

When any team loses any game that is close, it is always easy to point blame at a certain individual or a certain group or a certain play, when in actuality, it is a combination of factors, none more or less important than the others. It is what it is, and that is why I now avoid commenting on the meltdown threads because I get more angry at the idiocy of those than I do anything else.

GO GOPHERS!!!

+1

GO GOPHERS!!!

I agree. Unfortunately, some learned how to post on the Internet before they learned the game. Their families never taught them it's how you play the game and not whether you win or loss, and they were never good enough to play.

Thanks for the Sports Huddle updates this season!!

Top Bottom