GopherHole Q&A: Catching up with Future Gopher Michael Hurt

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Catching up with Future Gopher Michael Hurt
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/603133?referrer_id=388419

Michael Hurt, a 6-foot-6 senior forward from Rochester (MN) John Marshall, signed with Minnesota in the early signing period. Hurt is ranked as Minnesota's number two player in the Class of 2016 behind Hopkins' Amir Coffey, who also signed with the Gophers.

Hurt scored 21 points in the Rockets' 82-30 win over Rochester Century, giving him 1,428 career points, breaking the school record of 1,414 points by John Mattison Tuesday night.

Hurt is averaging 20.9 points, 9.9 rebounds and 8.9 assists per game this season as the Rockets are off to a 12-3 start. He has scored in double figures in all but one game, with a season-high 38 points versus Prior Lake. Hurt finished with eight points in a 66-53 win over Rochester Century in the season opener

Hurt averaged 21.5 points and 8.3 rebounds per game as a junior with a season-high 43 points versus Osseo. He scored in double figures in all but one game, finishing with nine points in a 87-52 win over Albert Lea. John Marshall finished 23-6 this past season, losing to Lakeville North 62-51 in the Section 1AAAA championship game for the third straight year.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Hurt to talk about his season and upcoming career at the U.

Gopher Hole: What was it like playing at the Target Center because that is where you are hoping to be playing in March (for the state tournament)?

Michael Hurt: It is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Even when I get to play on "The Barn" floor before I am even going to get up there has been really awesome, so it was a really cool atmosphere. Hopefully, we can get back here in March when it is more packed.

Gopher Hole: You went to the Minnesota-Michigan State game the other week. I know that they are struggling, but what have you seen from the Gophers this season?

Michael Hurt: I have seen a lot of really good stretches. I got home to watch the second half against Ohio State. They were in that game and they kind of let it go. The young guys are starting to learn. Hopefully, they'll make it into a couple of wins.

Gopher Hole: I know that a lot of fans are talking about next year with you, Amir (Coffey) and (Eric) Curry coming in and they have Reggie Lynch and Davonte Fitzgerald, who will be eligible. What do you think that you'll see from the team differently next year?

Michael Hurt: Everyone is going to have a bigger year of experience. There are a lot of freshmen and there are even a lot of sophomores, so hopefully a lot of guys will grow up and be leaders and be vocal teammates out there.

Gopher Hole: You signed a couple of months ago. Do you have a feeling of relief of having that done and not having to worry about recruiting anymore?

Michael Hurt: Just getting that out of the way. Being able to focus on our season. We haven't made it to state yet, so I can just put that as our main goal.

I'm excited about Hurt. He's putting up some big numbers all season. I hope he's closer to Michael Bauer than Isaiah Dahlman though as far as college career potential.

Top Bottom