GopherHole Live Chat with Daniel House at 2 p.m. CT!

DanielHouse

Reaction score
While we all stay home and flatten the COVID-19 curve, I wanted to host a fun activity on the GopherHole board. At 2 p.m. CT, I will be answering all of your Gopher Football questions in this thread. If there is something you’ve always wanted to ask me, submit it below. I will do my best to answer any type of question you may have about the program.

Possible conversation starters:

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been in my football laboratory working on projects. I dove into co-offensive coordinator Mike Sanford’s offense at Utah State (more to come on this), analyzed key 2019 Minnesota Football schematic decisions and tracked data for several advanced analytics projects. If you have any burning questions or concepts you have always wanted me to discuss, I’m here to chat.

How to participate:

Please submit your questions below to start the discussion. Beginning at 2 p.m. CT, I will respond. Once I get through the first wave of questions, we can take the conversation wherever you would like. I will also embed questions I receive on social media via #GopherHoleChat.

Moving forward, I may explore launching a video chat series (possibly on YouTube Live). Please share any ideas or concepts you would like to see within that format. I have a few ideas, but also wanted to receive your feedback.

It’s time to chat!!

I think an obvious question is, how much do you think the TE position will change going into this next season, as opposed to Fleck's first three seasons?

1) I remember a social post suggesting B Oliver was hurt just before practice shut down. I have no idea if true or how serious. Regardless, what's your take on how the LBs are stacking up for fall? 2) Am also curious about who among the WRs you think are likely to contribute beyond the obvious top 3. I thought Brown-Stephens looked good last fall but haven't heard his name since.
3) Any of the young safeties getting buzz beyond Nubin? That's an awfully thin spot on paper.

I for one would like to see a guy be able to kick the ball into the end zone.
Should we be worried about special teams again this year? Should Rob Wenger be worried?

Oh, and your bowtie is crooked.

I mean, I was being serious. Hoping the combo of Sanford and Simon are going to call for throws to TE at least 5–10 targets per game.

Thoughts on sitting vs standing at games?

Who are some names on the defense (specifically D-line) that aren't on the casual fan's radar, but that the staff is high on and think can make an impact this fall?

We didnt have one punt return to amount to anything last year. Always fair catching. Whats the problem?

I think Mike Sanford Jr. will actively utilize tight ends in this offense. It’s hard to know how much of an increase we can expect, but I’m anticipating a noticeable spike. I would say at least five targets per game is realistic (possibly higher).

When watching Sanford’s past offenses, you’ll notice how much he loves to flex tight ends all over the field. I would categorize Utah State’s Caleb Repp as a hybrid WR/TE. Sanford frequently aligned him in the slot and drew up creative concepts to take advantage of his skills.

Brevyn Spann-Ford’s versatility, athleticism and size could be featured in a similar role. The tight end room is developing a mix of different playing styles. During the 2020 season, Spann-Ford and Bryce Witham may see an increased role in the passing game.

I also specifically noted the type of skill set Sanford recruited at the tight end position. When looking at measurements and athletic testing, Jameson Geers fits the profile of tight ends he has recruited in the past.

Also, if he follows past trends, you’ll see more passes to the RBs, including screens and creative route concepts.

I think an obvious question is, how much do you think the TE position will change going into this next season, as opposed to Fleck's first three seasons?

1. There are a few things worth noting at the linebacker position. First, I’m really impressed with the athleticism they’ve added. I watched one practice and was drawn to all of the sideline-to-sideline range. The new freshman additions (Burns, Lindenberg) added quite a bit of team speed to the second level of this defense. When he arrives, I’m excited to see Itayvion Brown, too.

The future career of James Gordon IV really excites me. He is a very powerful and explosive player who fights through blocks. Gordon will become a scheme weapon for Joe Rossi. The same can be said for Donald Willis, who spent time developing last year. Mariano Sori-Marin has turned into an important leader of the room and clearly benefited from the experience he gained last year. Josh Aune is also a name to keep an eye on because of his athleticism and versatility.

2. While watching one practice, I wish I could have seen the new wide receiver additions. Daniel Jackson, Douglas Emilien and Jonathan Mann weren’t early enrollees. I think Autman-Bell is poised for a big season and doesn’t get enough love for his skills after the catch. He is very dynamic in space and has tremendous field vision. Brown-Stephens is progressing nicely and could earn a rotational role in 2020. I’d keep an eye on Emilien during the fall. After watching his film, I think he could be a player that bursts onto the scene and surprises people.

3. There’s no doubt Nubin is going to be a key player in 2020. I’m particularly intrigued to watch more of Abner Dubar and Michael Dixon. When looking at the depth chart, either of them could emerge and see rotational action. In particular, Dixon is a very physical player with superb movement skills. He could flex into the box and move all over the field. I’ll be watching this position even closer when spring ball finally returns.

1) I remember a social post suggesting B Oliver was hurt just before practice shut down. I have no idea if true or how serious. Regardless, what's your take on how the LBs are stacking up for fall? 2) Am also curious about who among the WRs you think are likely to contribute beyond the obvious top 3. I thought Brown-Stephens looked good last fall but haven't heard his name since.
3) Any of the young safeties getting buzz beyond Nubin? That's an awfully thin spot on paper.

I actually focused on a large special teams study this offseason. I found out how important field position margin is. It is extremely valuable to have your kicker boot touchbacks out of the end zone. I expect will be a huge emphasis in 2020. When touchbacks occur more frequently, you're likely right in the favorable threshold for increasing your winning percentage.

Last year, the Gophers' average starting field position was the 29-yard line, which ranks No. 67 nationally. The goal is to make sure your starting and opponent field position are each strong. When this happens, your winning percentage drastically increases. If the margin between these two variables (opponent and starting field position average) falls within 6-10 yards, there is a strong correlation to winning.

I for one would like to see a guy be able to kick the ball into the end zone.
Should we be worried about special teams again this year? Should Rob Wenger be worried?

Oh, and your bowtie is crooked.

The more you stand, the better the atmosphere is! Many people might not think it makes a big difference. However, there is so much pre-snap communication going on and fans can legitimately alter timing and on-field adjustments. The energy for the Penn State game was tremendous and you could even feel it up in the box.

Thoughts on sitting vs standing at games?

Well, if you're a casual fan, two names to keep an eye on: Boye Mafe and Esezi Otomewo. I believe Mafe has the chance to be a huge Big Ten conference surprise. He is very dynamic and continues adding to his pass-rushing arsenal. Otomewo will need to step up and make an impact at the five-technique position. He's physically improved every year and was very impactful within Minnesota's NASCAR pass-rushing package last year.

Out of all the newcomers, I can't wait to see Jah Joyner. Every year, I watch a high volume of film cuts across all levels. Joyner ranks near the top of high school prospects I've analyzed, especially within the Minnesota football program. He was a HUGE late addition for the Gophers.

Who are some names on the defense (specifically D-line) that aren't on the casual fan's radar, but that the staff is high on and think can make an impact this fall?

Here’s a question. Despite the excitement and performance on the field last season, we still ultimately fell to our two arch-nemesis rivals.

What does Fleck & co need to do, to be able to consistently beat Iowa and Wisconsin?

I'm pessimistic about whether we will have a 12-game season because of the virus pandemic. Any thoughts on how they might salvage this coming season such as scrapping all nonconference games and playing just big ten games (9-10 games) on a revamped schedule. Also games with no fans seems likely.

I love talking special teams. This season, I've actually been studying quite a few special teams tendencies. One of the things I've found: there's huge value in running up and catching the ball. Once the ball hits the ground, spin takes over and punter's often accumulate a high volume of bounce yards. This is specifically the case when the returner is within the "landing zone" (between the 20 and 10-yard-line). You would not believe how much increased bounce yards can flip field position by even 10 yards. As I noted in the other special teams question, this can make a huge difference in the landscape of games.

Now, of course, you want to find a balance between fair catches and actually returning the football. Most of the time, when the ball is punted in-between the hashes, you should be attempting a return. Numbers tell us this is one of the most effective spots on the field for return game success. It also depends upon whether the opponent is punting from coffin (own 41-yard-line and forward) or open-field position (own 1-yard line to 40-yard line).

If the punt is an open-field one, there is naturally more space and room to work. Depending upon how far the punter is backed up, these punts also have a tendency to shoot off at a lower trajectory (punter could be rushed or have tight space constraints). The key difference with an open-field punt: the other team is trying to flip the field. With the skill level of college punters, I'm noticing these type of open-field situations tend to provide an advantage for return teams.

I think if the Gophers attempt to return more open-field punts, it would go a long way toward improving average field position and margins.

We didnt have one punt return to amount to anything last year. Always fair catching. Whats the problem?

Last edited:

I've noticed he's a tremendous athlete. I haven't had a chance to watch him in practice much due to his injury recovery. Eventually, he will find his way onto the field in some capacity, that's for sure.

Is Jason Williamson a legit option at running Back?

Glad you're enjoying it! Thanks for stopping by. I'm hoping to do more of these in the future. I've been exploring video options to walk through plays and certain things.

Love this. Love our House.

Salted peanuts in the shell. Do you eat the peanut- shell and all?

What, if anything, is the team allowed to do during this isolation period caused by the virus?

I've been asking myself this question quite a bit this offseason. Analytically speaking, the Iowa game was lost in the second quarter. In fact, if the game were to be played again with the same statistical outputs, Iowa would only have a 55% chance of winning, according to College Football Data. The Hawkeyes started fast and put Minnesota in brand new territory. The game shifted when the Gophers were more aggressive in the second half.

In the second quarter, Iowa led 0.5966 to -0.2117 in Expected Points Added (EPA). During the final two quarters, the Gophers led the EPA advantage by a pretty wide margin.

In order to consistently beat Iowa and Wisconsin, developing in the trenches is critical. The pass rush must apply more heat without blitzing. Four-man fronts need to get home in order to open coverage creativity and options. This was particularly apparent in the Hawkeyes game.

Also, against Wisconsin, the Badgers developed an incredible defensive scheme that emphasized their linebackers. These different fronts, blitzes and looks created some trouble for Minnesota's offensive line. Additionally, Daniel Faalele's injury altered the heavy personnel looks that made such a huge difference last year (see Penn State game). The goal should be to develop more consistency in those areas to handle the physicality of Iowa and Wisconsin.

They are getting closer and took a big step forward last year. With more recruiting resources incoming, this is the next step for the Gophers' program.

Here’s a question. Despite the excitement and performance on the field last season, we still ultimately fell to our two arch-nemesis rivals.

What does Fleck & co need to do, to be able to consistently beat Iowa and Wisconsin?

Last edited:

It's so tough to know right now. If social distancing is doing anything, we'll know within a couple weeks. The biggest fear is how this virus could possibly have a second wave this fall. If that happens, things could get interesting. If the NCAA can preserve part of the season by going with a conference schedule, they would probably do it. However, at that point, officials would need to determine if an additional month would really make much of a difference.

We also have to remember, there needs to be time to get players ready for games. This means practices are necessary to get players reintroduced to contact. There are so many unknowns, but I sure hope everything works out and people stay safe.

I'm pessimistic about whether we will have a 12-game season because of the virus pandemic. Any thoughts on how they might salvage this coming season such as scrapping all nonconference games and playing just big ten games (9-10 games) on a revamped schedule. Also games with no fans seems likely.

Team activities are currently suspended. This means players are taking University courses online and communicating with each other virtually. Coaches are also talking with recruits electronically. Everyone has to get creative since there are currently no on or off-campus visits at this time.

What, if anything, is the team allowed to do during this isolation period caused by the virus?

Questions submitted on social media:

From Nadine Babu on Facebook:

My question is a personal one for Daniel House- with no spring ball, who is it harder on, you or P.J.?

This is a fantastic question. I would say we're both wishing spring ball was happening right. However, it's really important to follow all of the guidelines and stay safe. People probably think I'm crazy, but I love watching spring practices and the Pro Day every year. I particularly enjoy studying drills and seeing players develop. The journey kicks off in March and it's fun to watch the developmental progression with my own eyes. Since day one, football has always been like natural meditation for me.

During the quarantine, I've been taking this time to study certain topics I've always wanted to explore, including analytics. There's no doubt I would certainly love spending part of a day with P.J. to talk football and watch film. I'd answer that Zoom call right now!

From Hudson Hutton on Twitter:

I think you'll see the same core concepts of the offense. There are going to be subtle tweaks as Mike Sanford Jr. joins Matt Simon. One of the biggest shifts we may notice: vertical passing game creativity. There will be more aggressive route concepts and designs to push the ball downfield. This potentially includes: boots, simple drop back passing and seam routes. These core ideas will align nicely with the intermediate RPOs and zone rushing concepts. I also think the running backs and tight ends will be incorporated in the offense more frequently. Sanford loves the screen game and often flexes his tight end to the slot. I added clips and talked about those two areas in an above question.

It's so tough to know right now. If social distancing is doing anything, we'll know within a couple weeks. The biggest fear is how this virus could possibly have a second wave this fall. If that happens, things could get interesting. If the NCAA can preserve part of the season by going with a conference schedule, they would probably do it. However, at that point, officials would need to determine if an additional month would really make much of a difference.

We also have to remember, there needs to be time to get players ready for games. This means practices are necessary to get players reintroduced to contact. There are so many unknowns, but I sure hope everything works out and people stay safe.
That's why I suggest eliminating nonconference games and using that time for conditioning and then maybe one more week for game prep. I also want all teams to have a midseason bye week

Top Bottom