GopherHole.com catches up with OL recruit, Sam Cunningham on his visit to Wisconsin

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sam recently updated GopherHole.com on his visit to Wisconsin's Junior Day on March 1:

"I had a good time meeting the coaches and touring the facilities in Madison. I picked up some good information from their strength coach that I added to my routine. I think there were about six offensive linemen that attended and everyone was encouraged to attend the camp this summer. I’m excited about possibly playing DI football, but it’s kind of tough seeing others get offers and not being one of them. All I can do is keep working hard and see what happens."

To learn more about Cunningham, check out GopherHole.com's recent in-depth Q&A:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=942

haha poor kid in highlight #2, Sam just runs over him like he's not even there

Sam recently updated GopherHole.com on his visit to Wisconsin's Junior Day on March 1:

"I had a good time meeting the coaches and touring the facilities in Madison. I picked up some good information from their strength coach that I added to my routine. I think there were about six offensive linemen that attended and everyone was encouraged to attend the camp this summer. I’m excited about possibly playing DI football, but it’s kind of tough seeing others get offers and not being one of them. All I can do is keep working hard and see what happens."

To learn more about Cunningham, check out GopherHole.com's recent in-depth Q&A:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=942

Is Minnesota going to offer this guy? Would love to add as many Wisconsintes as possible, just to add knuckles to the huge middle finger Brewster has aimed toward Madison

With him being a lineman, and especially with him being from Hudson, I'd be shocked if they didn't offer him a scholly.

Sam is about 4 or 5 if you were to list the top lineman in the state of Wisconsin with Eggen, Epping(depending on if you want him for C or DT) and Dallas Lewallen. Although it all depends on where you see a kid playing, Eggen and Lewallen are more T prospects where Cunningham may be more of a G prospect.

jwill: Have you seen film on the top 2010 linemen from Wisconsin?

If you have, please fill us in on the differences that you're seeing in Epping; Eggen; Lewellan (spelling?); and Cunningham.

I've seen your posts here and on Scout's Badgers' forum and was wondering what your connection is to these sites. Are you an evaluator or just a contributor to these forums, as most of us are here.

Here's what I'm aware of as of now. Although it was an early ranking, WisconsinPreps (Rivals) evaluated players' videos and comprised its top 40 2010 WI. prospects. Epping (evaluated and offered as a d-linemen?) and Eggen tied for first and Sam Cunningham was listed as the seventh prospect (third lineman overall...depending on whether Epping is being rated so high as a d-lineman or o-lineman).

I am not a talent evaluator by any stretch and not affiliated to any of the sites, just someone with a lot of free time that has been paying attention to recruiting for several years now.

Cunnigham seems more of a straight ahead(bowling ball) blocker that may be better suited for G. Wisconsin prefers(as I would imagine Minnesota will with Davis at the helm) taller but more athletic players at Tackle with the thicker, bowling ball types playing Guard.

This is an odd year for talent in Wisconsin, there are alot of good lineman but no one is really head and shoulders above everyone else. That is the major reason UW hasnt offered any of them yet, due to what I mentioned before and combined with only about 15-16 openings they want to see all of them in person and see who separates them selves before they offer. Of course all of this could change if players they like start getting a lot of offers.

jwill: Thanks for the information. I was just wondering how you advanced Lewellan (sp?) ahead of Sam as the supposed third ranked WI line recruit.

Minnesota's all over the board with their linemen offers. They just offered a 6'5, 260 lber and have already offered a 6'2, 254 lbers, so it doesn't look like Gophers are totally committed to bashing the ball, as I had assumed reading previous articles and posts.

Wisconsin seems to be offering kids based on height first, then weight and meeting those criteria having pretty good feet.

Gophers seem to be thinking height, then feet, then weight.

Both programs seem to be viewing Wisconsin offensive linemen as a last resort. While the Gophers and Badgers offer so called national recruits, are teams like Northern Illinois and North Dakota State building strong bonds with Cunningham and Eggen? Will they stay with NIU/NDSU offers even if the Gophers/Badgers possibly offer after the national recruits declare elsewhere?

jwill: Thanks for the information. I was just wondering how you advanced Lewellan (sp?) ahead of Sam as the supposed third ranked WI line recruit.

Minnesota's all over the board with their linemen offers. They just offered a 6'5, 260 lber and have already offered a 6'2, 254 lbers, so it doesn't look like Gophers are totally committed to bashing the ball, as I had assumed reading previous articles and posts.

Wisconsin seems to be offering kids based on height first, then weight and meeting those criteria having pretty good feet.

Gophers seem to be thinking height, then feet, then weight.

Both programs seem to be viewing Wisconsin offensive linemen as a last resort. While the Gophers and Badgers offer so called national recruits, are teams like Northern Illinois and North Dakota State building strong bonds with Cunningham and Eggen? Will they stay with NIU/NDSU offers even if the Gophers/Badgers possibly offer after the national recruits declare elsewhere?

I think you're accurate about what Minnesota is looking at. When I see an offer for a player listed as OL at 6-2 or less I assume the Gophers view him as DT rather than OL because their prototype seems to be 6-3 to 6-7 with long arms and the frame to carry 300 lbs. The player doesn't have to be at 300 now, but they want to see broad shoulders to carry that weight well. They may take a 6-2 player for C/G but looking at last year's OL class no scholarships were offered for this size player to play OL but they did have a Center walk-on at that height. This may not help you because you're inquiring about what they want this year but the Gophers didn't have an OL in their 2008 class so we've only seen them recruit 3 OL under Brewster and we are still learning what they will and won't take.

My reasoning was that Davis was schooled by Jim Hueber(current Vikings OL coach, for long time UW coach) and that has been the type of player UW has gone for. I would imagine that Davis buys into the same philosophy.

Top Bottom