Gopher WBB "Fans" ....Are you serious?

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
What is wrong with Gopher WBB fans? Literally we might have some of the dumbest and more ignorant “fans” on this forum. The stuff that I have seen, I am stunned any talented player wants to play at this program.

Let’s get a few things clear. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is telling you to watch this team and program. Some of you literally don’t say a word until they lose, or a player has a bad game. Pathetic. You are not fans; you are trolls who have keyboard courage to run your mouth online.

Let’s address some other things that maybe none of your “highly intelligent fans” don’t understand, but this is a young team. Yes, SOPHOMORES ARE STILL UNDERCLASSMEN! So, a starting group of 4 sophomores and 1 freshman is super young in a Big Ten conference full of seniors and 5th/6th year graduate players. On top of that a brand new staff who is trying to impact their style on a program in less than a year. Every new coach at a program stated how you need at least a year before you start to see a full effect of them knowing the staff.

Then add on top of that after 20 games, the team lost 18 ppg, their defensive and vocal leader in Braun. A player who was willing to take the big shots and pull defender towards her now was gone. So for the first time in their gopher careers, Heyer, Battle, Grace, etc was asked to make up for the lack of Mara. That takes time to get used to. Then the next three games after that were against 3 teams likely making the tournament and two if not all three thrive on pressing which could cause issues for any team let alone one with really only one consistent baller handler.

Now lets talk about some of the most ridiculous stuff I have seen IDIOT people say on this forum. Amaya Battle is and hopefully want to stay on the program. A strong GET BENT to people saying she shouldn’t be starting or on this roster next year. You clearly are beyond ignorant. Ohio State forced Caitlin Clark into 7 turnovers, why is Amaya with only 2 more sooo much worse? She is two years younger and still figuring out her way without Mara? A top 40 player who stayed home as part of top 10 recruiting class and you people are saying she should not have a roster spot? Kindly and full offense, SHUT. UP.

Didn’t see you fools saying she shouldn’t have a spot on the roster as she is hitting game winning free-throws against Purdue or the Game clinching 3-pointer against Nebraska. Youth comes with inconsistency. If you want perfection, WATCH A DIFFERENT TEAM!

There is truly a difference to have EDUCATED conversations about the team’s struggles or stuff. BTW they ALREADY have more wins this season than all of last year when they had 11 and two years ago had 14 regular season victories total.

Seriously, I can’t believe how toxic and vile some supposed fans are on this forum or social medias. Wish we could have trashy like that take itself out like some of the toxic players have the last few seasons.

Last edited:

All I know is, through 23 games the Gophers are 14-9. Last year through 23 games, they were 9-14. They are averaging 72.7 points and giving up 62.5 points. Last year they averaged 71.4 points and gave up 73.6 points. The team just lost it's leading scorer possibly for the year and are still 5 games above .500 and are still learning the new offense and defense of the coaching staff. Coach P has this team much improved from last season and I am nothing but optimistic for her getting this team to buy in and show how good they are once healthy and at full strength.

and I will add this.. with Mara OUT.. Grace, Mal now move up on the scouting report and now a team can double either of them. Along with teams can clog the paint now as well a bit more as we have seen.

let's also remember next year we are bringing maybe the BEST defender in Minnesota into the Gopher program and another Top 60 kid from Wisconsin in Kenna Johnson who is another shooter.

As noted, many people get “anonymous keyboard courage”, and feel they can make comments about the players just because. They need to realize, these young ladies are somebody’s sister. Somebody’s daughter. Somebody’s granddaughter. Would you want your loved ones treated this way? As a parent of a former player, I learned to ignore a lot, but the players are young. And they have worked their asses off to get where they are, it was not handed to them. They hear things, and hopefully they let it bounce off them and not affect how they play in their next game. But it’s hard. Remember that before you feel the need to post negativity.

Last edited:

What is wrong with Gopher WBB fans? Literally we might have some of the dumbest and more ignorant “fans” on this forum. The stuff that I have seen, I am stunned any talented player wants to play at this program.

Let’s get a few things clear. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is telling you to watch this team and program. Some of you literally don’t say a word until they lose, or a player has a bad game. Pathetic. You are not fans; you are trolls who have keyboard courage to run your mouth online.

Let’s address some other things that maybe none of your “highly intelligent fans” don’t understand, but this is a young team. Yes, SOPHOMORES ARE STILL UNDERCLASSMEN! So, a starting group of 4 sophomores and 1 freshman is super young in a Big Ten conference full of seniors and 5th/6th year graduate players. On top of that a brand new staff who is trying to impact their style on a program in less than a year. Every new coach at a program stated how you need at least a year before you start to see a full effect of them knowing the staff.

Then add on top of that after 20 games, the team lost 18 ppg, their defensive and vocal leader in Braun. A player who was willing to take the big shots and pull defender towards her now was gone. So for the first time in their gopher careers, Heyer, Battle, Grace, etc was asked to make up for the lack of Mara. That takes time to get used to. Then the next three games after that were against 3 teams likely making the tournament and two if not all three thrive on pressing which could cause issues for any team let alone one with really only one consistent baller handler.

Now lets talk about some of the most ridiculous stuff I have seen IDIOT people say on this forum. Amaya Battle is and hopefully want to stay on the program. A strong GET BENT to people saying she shouldn’t be starting or on this roster next year. You clearly are beyond ignorant. Ohio State forced Caitlin Clark into 7 turnovers, why is Amaya with only 2 more sooo much worse? She is two years younger and still figuring out her way without Mara? A top 40 player who stayed home as part of top 10 recruiting class and you people are saying she should not have a roster spot? Kindly and full offense, SHUT. UP.

Didn’t see you fools saying she shouldn’t have a spot on the roster as she is hitting game winning free-throws against Purdue or the Game clinching 3-pointer against Nebraska. Youth comes with inconsistency. If you want perfection, WATCH A DIFFERENT TEAM!

There is truly a difference to have EDUACATED conversations about the team’s struggles or stuff. BTW they ALREADY have more wins this season than all of last year when they had 11 and two years ago had 14 regular season victories total.

Seriously, I can’t believe how toxic and vile some supposed fans are on this forum or social medias. Wish we could have trashy like that take itself out like some of the toxic players have the last few seasons.
You misspelled EDUCATED.

As noted, many people get “anonymous keyboard courage”, and feel they can make comments about the players just because. They need to realize, these young ladies are somebody’s sister. Somebody’s daughter. Somebody’s granddaughter. Would you want your loved ones treated this way? As a parent of a former player, I learned to ignore a lot, but the players are young. And they have worked their asses off to get where they are, it was not handed to them. They hear things, and hopefully they let it bounce off them and not affect how they play in their next game. But it’s hard. Remember that before you feel the need to post negativity.
Thanks for this important reminder. How many of these negative posters have balanced playing a D1 sport with getting their college degree ? I would venture a guess = very few. I choose to support all our student athletes and hope they are all successful on and off the court. Go Gophers !!

This is a message board, the purpose of which is to allow fans to express their opinions (even if you don't agree with them). If people are not supposed to point out mistakes or offer criticism, perhaps it should be renamed the "Sid Hartman" or "Homer" board. I acknowledge that some of the criticism is over the top and too negative, but that's what the ignore button is for. You don't have to read the posts of those who do not meet your lofty standards. I have had season tickets almost continuously since Lindsey's sophomore year (and attended games since the 90's), so I think I've earned the right to express myself. Whether you agree or not.

Last edited:

This is a message board, the purpose of which is to allow fans to express their opinions (even if you don't agree with them). If people are not supposed to point out mistakes or offer criticism, perhaps it should be renamed the "Sid Hartman" or "Homer" board. I acknowledge that some of the criticism is over the top and too negative, but that's what the ignore button is for. You don't have to read the posts of those who do not meet your lofty standards. I have had season tickets almost continuously since Lindsey's sophomore year (and attended games since the 90's), so I think I've earned the right to express myself. Whether you agree or not.
There is a difference being critical of play on the field or court, and being extremely negative / ripping on one player, intimating that that player does not belong on the team. These players go through a lot of struggles in daily life that may affect their play during a particular game or stretch of games. And you don’t know what the coach is telling them to do as far as for different plays. It’s an adjustment period, and we need to support them while they work through it. I don’t say that you can’t be critical, but temper your criticism.

I agree. I was responding to the original post in this thread. Calling people "dumb, ignorant, and toxic", and telling them to find another team to support because they're not true fans, seemed a little arrogant to me. And self defeating. If we want to expand the fan base, we can't afford to drive away fans that maybe see things a little differently from us.

I agree. I was responding to the original post in this thread. Calling people "dumb, ignorant, and toxic", and telling them to find another team to support because they're not true fans, seemed a little arrogant to me. And self defeating. If we want to expand the fan base, we can't afford to drive away fans that maybe see things a little differently from us.
I'll respond to this. When I see a comment such as "Amaya Battle shouldn't have a spot on this roster", that comment falls under all three of the categories of ignorant, dumb and toxic. That type of comment shows a person who brings nothing valuable to a basketball conversation or can speak on anything with knowledge.

If terms of fans, when those so-called fans are the same ones who are nowhere to be seen on this board or have ANYTHING to say when the team is winning or playing well, then instantly jumps at the coach, players etc when they lose, thats not a fan. thats a troll. Those are unneeded for the team. So frankly if calling out the things they say runs trolls away, I will happily do that over and over.

Unless what you say about the coaches, players is something you would actually say directly to them in person, what's the point of trashing players or coaches on here? Once again, BIG BIG DIFFERENCE between constructive criticism and saying players shouldn't have spots on the roster. A top 40-nationally ranked local well-liked player like amaya especially who this team would be lost without at this point.

Still hoping this team can make the WNIT tournament. They would really benefit from the extra practices, post season experience, and playing more games. I have had a blast at Williams this year even gotten more people to come out and attend the games. Gophers are in a tough stretch, played some really good opponents the last couple games. As bball_crazy_31 said it is tough to lose one of your top 5 players, especially one of Braun's caliber. The defensive level and competing effort hasn't fallen off, I think the Gophers are still playing well and at a high level on the defensive side of the ball, they are and that will serve them well going forward. Struggling on offense and finishing at the basket. Got to find a way to score a few more points. Turning the defensive mindset and getting better on defense is a start to success and the coaches already have buy-in on this. Hopefully the Gophers can get back on track and the shot's start falling and they get a win at Rutgers. I think the Gophers got a little unlucky in the Wisconsin and Illinois losses, some shots that rimmed out that could have scored. They were in the OSU game for a half, and OSU press took over the game in the third quarter(OSU is a great team)only mentioned moving Battle to SG to take some ball handling pressure off her, conserve some energy, but I doubt they have another ball handler that can sustain the ball pressure of the other teams PG or best guards. Sanders takes some pressure off but she is a scoring guard. I have not understood the complaining in the paper and here about Battle at all, turnovers comes with being a point guard, not all passes can be perfect. Always been impressed by Battle's composure and how she guards. Team looks a little tired right now, I trust the coaches know what to do to get their legs back. Be nice to make a run in March in the Big 10 tournament. Next years squad should have quite a bit more depth and the ability to substitute more into a group of 9 to 10 instead of relying on 5 to 7. Always a big jump from Freshman season to Sophomore and Sophomore to Junior in experience, so that will happen too.

Last edited:

Case in point, one of the geniuses stated that Hart couldn’t shoot. Her field goal percentage is .576. Yes, there are problems, but I sometimes wonder if some of these folks are watching the same game I am.
And now you amplify the untruth by repeating it.

Everyone on this board is allowed their own opinions. That's the point of the board. Calling people names, is showing a lack of maturity. Women's sports should want ALL attention they can get as it means people are watching and paying. And if you think players go on message boards to get feedback....talk about asking for trouble. By the way, all sports in Minnesota are criticized WAAAAY less than other cities.

Everyone on this board is allowed their own opinions. That's the point of the board. Calling people names, is showing a lack of maturity. Women's sports should want ALL attention they can get as it means people are watching and paying. And if you think players go on message boards to get feedback....talk about asking for trouble. By the way, all sports in Minnesota are criticized WAAAAY less than other cities.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It's a tough time. Players are taking on new roles without the honed skills necessary. Heyer is being shut down by the opposition.
G$$ is still performing under serious learning conditions.
Hart has never played against this level of competition.
Battle wants to do more than she's capable of at this point. She needs to slow down and regain her confidence.
I still like Johnson in the middle. I think we have some freshman scorers/rebounder on the bench.
The teams learning has to accelerate. We can still be a strong team by the B1G Tourney!

I think we win tonight! It's our NEW BEGINNING!
SKI-U-MAH

I'll draw a connection to our favorite Lady Gophers era. I believe it loosely applies.
In 2004 Lindsay Whalen broke her hand with about 5/6 games left in the BIG10 season. Many thought that would derail the season - and we did indeed lose a couple late games that we most likely would have won easily with LW still in our lineup. But despite those losses the rest of the team worked hard and pushed themselves to do more. Whalen returned to a group who had been forced to develop a bit during her absence. The new and improved group then went on to surprise everyone on the way to a Final 4. Some silver linings yield big results.

Our current team has lost its star. I have no doubt the rest of the team is trying to grow to fill that void. Just like in 2004. I wish that Mara's injury was such that she'd be rejoining the team this year in time for the BIG tourney or any kind of post season (no chance of Mara's return for an WNIT?). Regardless, this young team may be ready to jump shift ahead upon her return, after having been forced to learn a bit faster and develop skills they didn't know they had as a result of Mara's unfortunate injury. Either this season or next. Let's all watch for silver linings...

Last edited:

Top Bottom