Gopher Volleyball 2023 Season

I thought I read some time ago that Gray was a walk-on. Therefore, she more than likely is not on scholarship nor will be.
Right, unless Grote did a thing like "I have my Cal degree, my family can easily support me anywhere, I just want to go play one last year of college vball on a winning program and I don't care about a scholarship".

Have no idea if that's a thing.

Have no idea how they are going to keep all the mouths fed at pin. It's absurd. There will be transfers after the season, count on it. "Good problem to have"

Rumors are flying again about the Turkish Libero, Zeynap Palabiyik. becoming a Gopher. If she indeed has committed to Minnesota, we should see her playing this summer/fall. GREAT NEWS IF TRUE.

Here is the quote by a very active poster on another forum:

"I dont know anything first hand.

One of the turkish rumor pages (for like pro stuff) said she's coming to minnesota. So if there's smoke...
;)
"

Last edited:

Jeff Day of the Star Tribune is on the StribSports Daily Delivery podcast today to talk about Gopher volleyball

Rumors are flying again about the Turkish Libero, Zeynap Palabiyik. becoming a Gopher. If she indeed has committed to Minnesota, we should see her playing this summer/fall. GREAT NEWS IF TRUE.

Here is the quote by a very active poster on another forum:

"I dont know anything first hand.

One of the turkish rumor pages (for like pro stuff) said she's coming to minnesota. So if there's smoke...
;)
"
Zeynep joins the Gophers!

This is such a tremendous get. If she is anywhere near as advertised, the Gophers should have a good shot at a B1G title.

This is such a tremendous get. If she is anywhere near as advertised, the Gophers should have a good shot at a B1G title.
I totally agree...Hopefully, KCook was the "SHOT IN THE ARM" this program needed to turn things around. With the absolute great additions with all the transfer ins and especially the rebuilding of a back court, this could be the Year of the Gophers. It appears we are back to the Mike Hebert belief on how important the back court is and I for one am very happy about that.

Sure, we were disappointed when some players decided to leave, but the character of those that decided not to SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR THIS PROGRAM. I have no doubt, we will see their decision to stay and their vision come alive both on and off the court this upcoming season.

I totally agree...Hopefully, KCook was the "SHOT IN THE ARM" this program needed to turn things around. With the absolute great additions with all the transfer ins and especially the rebuilding of a back court, this could be the Year of the Gophers. It appears we are back to the Mike Hebert belief on how important the back court is and I for one am very happy about that.

Sure, we were disappointed when some players decided to leave, but the character of those that decided not to SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR THIS PROGRAM. I have no doubt, we will see their decision to stay and their vision come alive both on and off the court this upcoming season.
I hope Coach Cook takes the Gophers to another level. I hope they win a national championship. But to say that this program needed to be turned around is laugh out loud funny.

Very unfortunate eligibility news about our new Gopher, Zeynep. I for one was so looking forward to having her on the court. What I have watched of her, she has a very strong awareness for the sport. We needed to shore up that back court with CC and Kilkelly graduating. I was so so happy when Murr decided to transfer to Minnesota for her Grad Year and Awoleye and Grote appear to be very positive transfers.

Losing a head coach and four starters (who were huge contributors) is a lot for a team to adjust to. I for one am very very happy with the newly hired coaching staff and cannot wait for this new volleyball era under KCook to start.

I was not at the exhibition match, but am going to guess a starting lineup.

OH - Wucherer 6R (If not, then DS Hanson)
OH - Landfair 6R
S - Shaffmaster
MB - Awoleye
MB - I lean to Minatee but feel all three will be used this season
Opp - Grote 6R
L- Murr

Last edited:

What exactly is the "unfortunate eligibility news" about Zeynep? Do you have the details on what is happening with her this season?

Last edited:

What exactly is the "unfortunate eligibility news" about Zeynep? Do you have the details on what is happening with her this season?
What I can say is, that I have been reading posts that it pertains to a Turkish pro contract signing by her. Also, it could be anywhere from 20-50% of the season that this NCAA sanction could involve.

A Gopher poster brought up the Shanel Bramschreiber case in Wisconsin and if they could be similar. This is all I am aware of, at this point.

Great win for this Gopher Team last night vs TCU. Really enjoyed watching all the transfers fitting in on this team and contributing for a total team effort. Murr's digging, Awoleye's blocking and Grote's kills on the RS. This season I feel we have a more balanced offense. Something that we haven't seen for several years.

Very happy to see the double sub last night working too with Crowl and McGhie. Also, Hanson playing DS for Grote and really coming up BIG in that fourth set for us to take home the win.

There were some player's with serving struggles, but overall we were effective. Also, I am not sold on both of our OH's playing 6 rotations. If and when Z is available, I think we might be seeing her DS for one of them.

Tonight we take on Baylor. Here's hoping to see some things cleaned up and the Gopher's coming up with another win. Tonight I am not expecting them to play as tight as they did that first set against TCU. Go Gophers!

* Great last three sets for the Gophers.

Holy hell was the first set bad.

Good lord ... can Landfair be correctly labeled as the laziest elite college volleyball player in the country???

I swear, at least on TV, it looks like she has this patented gangly approach into a half inch vertical, at times. Her passing is suspect at times. Flat footed no jump lazy wrist flip to get a ball over.

I don't think she's a valid 6-rot player. Sorry

Everyone was discombobulated that first set.

OK enough of that. They woke the hell up and stomped them out the last three. Love to see it.

Grote - Wow! What a great addition and cannon.
Awoleye - Some monster blocks! Awesome!
Schaff - still pretty much the same. She was always elite on everything other than mobility and actual setting ability (which I know is highly pass dependent). But at least she's perfecting that quick 31 set to the middles since she has never been able to figure out a standard quick 1 set.

Hanson was DS'ing Grote out in the 5-1 setup, and I do remember at least one hard swing on a D set. That could be nice as a change of pace.

Love to see the 6-2 double-sub setup! Crowl is a great offensive weapon and it would be a shame for her to mostly ride the bench. McGhie can do standard 1 sets to middles, so that would be a nice change of pace. But Schaff does score some nice points and is a solid blocker.

When a player has the spolight on them for as much as Landfair has recently (and for some time), IMO it is so common to see them come out and absolutely flop at their sport. You begin to wonder if they have ever played the sport before. I have seen it so often. WIth her personality, she just isn't the type of player who really wants all that attention. However, she is human and so wants to succeed and be a TEAM ROLE MODEL PLAYER. Unfortunaley, last night was not her night. Tonight can be an entirely different outcome for her. Go TayLa!

I too love the double sub. That is probably why we saw Gray sub serve and not McGhie. We had very positive results when KCook decided to use it last night. It doesn't give your opponent enough time to adjust to it. Great call by our coaching staff.

More like it with the Baylor sweep! Nice job ladies!

Texas lost their opener out in Long Beach (against LBSU) 1-3 ! Will be really interesting to see how the match goes Tues, looking forward to it!

Excellent play. Gophers didn't let Baylor get much rhythm. Great team work. Best defense that the Gophers have played in a long time. Everyone made the best out of their playing time. It will be interesting to see how they play against Texas. It may be hard for them to maintain this high level of play. However, they should learn more about their strengths and what they need to work on. I look forward to this season. Go Gophers.

I thought Wucherer, Murr and Awoleye were very impressive this weekend, plus Grote on Friday and Crowl on Saturday.

Something must be going on with Landfair. She's always played with a Bud Grant-like calmness that some take as being lackadaisical, which I don't think it is. I hope this weekend's play doesn't affect her confidence, because she has so much talent.

Service reception as a whole needs lots of work. But other than that, I'm very optimistic. TCU and Baylor are good teams, and other than the first set against TCU, we seemed to be in control of both matches.

Excellent play. Gophers didn't let Baylor get much rhythm. Great team work. Best defense that the Gophers have played in a long time. Everyone made the best out of their playing time. It will be interesting to see how they play against Texas. It may be hard for them to maintain this high level of play. However, they should learn more about their strengths and what they need to work on. I look forward to this season. Go Gophers.
I was able to watch both of Texas' matches. They are in no way the same team they were last year.........but either are the Gophers. I am expecting this team to continue this weekend's performances both offensively and defensively, while only getting better.

Last edited:

She didn’t play badly, I don’t think the stats support that. But she didn’t pass the eyeball test consistently for being an elite player. Plenty of time left this season to change that!

Wucherer on the other hand looked friggin dialed in against Baylor.

@4EverAGopher how did Jenna Wenaas look for Texas? Wonder if she’ll go balls to the wall against her old team, trying to prove that she should’ve been starting OH? The way that whatsherface little Libero did against us every time for Sconnie? Barnes

Speaking of that, holy cow Parra was out trying to set the world on fire Fri night. No idea how she did yesterday.

And that starting position on the serve should not have been allowed by the refs! Lol! Surprised she didn’t climb up into the bleachers

She didn’t play badly, I don’t think the stats support that. But she didn’t pass the eyeball test consistently for being an elite player. Plenty of time left this season to change that!

Wucherer on the other hand looked friggin dialed in against Baylor.

@4EverAGopher how did Jenna Wenaas look for Texas? Wonder if she’ll go balls to the wall against her old team, trying to prove that she should’ve been starting OH? The way that whatsherface little Libero did against us every time for Sconnie? Barnes
If you happen to have ESPN+ you can watch their matches. Asija O'Neal was out and they struggled replacing her in the middle. Think they moved RS Phillips to middle. They also have a Freshman setter, Swindle. Let's put it this way, they were not prepared for Asija's absence.

I know from reading a Texas thread their fans are very upset with Wenaas' play and JE for bringing her in instead of Setter, Max Podraza. Also, their fans said their is no way she lives up to replacing Eggleston. I AGREE ON BOTH OF THEIR POINTS.

Wenaas hitting % around .250 for both games. She still looked the same in her play as she did at Minnesota. I think she ended with around 10-11 kills in both matches. Texas has her playing OH with Madi Skinner. Wenaas led Texas in kills against LMU.

I just feel Texas has a lot of rebuilding to do and REALLY NEEDS O'NEAL IN THE MIDDLE. They did not play either match like their #1 ranking in the nation. Of course, if O'Neal is back Tuesday night, they will be an entirely different team but remember they do have a Freshman setter. Either way, we can beat them. They are very vulnerable right now and we definitely have more power in all our hitters than Texas. However, there is no doubt, if O'Neal plays, she will be THE BEST MIDDLE ON THE COURT THAT NIGHT.

I also caught a little of Ohio State and they too are rebuilding and not the same team, but LONDOT is still their go to gal. I didn't catch Penn State's loss to Florida nor Kentucky's loss.

Last edited:

Top Bottom