Gopher Volleyball 2022 Season

Top 12 via coaches poll (through 10/23) - first four were scrambled from previous week due to both Texas and Louisville losing for the first time (to Iowa State and Pittsburgh respectively).

1. Nebraska (up 2)
2. Texas (down 1)
3. San Diego (up 1)
4. Louisville (down 2)
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State

7. Pittsburgh (up 1)
8. Stanford (down 1)
9. Minnesota
10. Georgia Tech
11. Penn State (up 3)
12. Purdue

Michigan
got some votes, but did not make top 25.

Top twelve schools by conference; Big Ten - 6, ACC - 3, Big 12 - 1, Pac 12 - 1, WCC - 1

The next few matches could determine the winner of the B1G. Big weekend for Wisconsin as they get ready for a midweek showdown with Nebraska and then a rematch against Minnesota on Saturday. Ohio State goes up against Michigan and Penn State.

We have a thread for possible HC candidates talk. Let's stick to it.

Gophers better wake up fast. Michigan State up 15-13 in the first set.

After the Gophers fired up the serve in the second set, Sparty was on the run. 8 aces for the match and a constant barrage of trouble some serves turned the match into a "let's try this" laugher. Carter Booth returned with 8 kills and five blocks. CC made some improbable digs that turned into points and I think Davis got up off the court to deliver a kill.

This highlight captures the spirit of the last two sets.

Wisconsin took out Nebraska in three dominant sets. (Well two dominant sets; when I turned the match on after returning from the Gopher win, the Badgers were up 22-12 in the second. The Huskers tied it at 23 before the Badgers closed it out). It's Gophers/Badgers next Saturday evening in Madison.

It was mentioned here some time ago that the Gophers hadn't yet put up their Elite Eight banner from last year. It's still not up. Does anyone have any information about this?

This match is going exactly how I thought it would, Gophers would challenge but then Wisconsin would foot down and take the set.

Real questionable call at 20-22 Wisconsin in the 4th set. Ball certainly looked like it was in the plane and was fair game for the gophers.

They fought hard and were competitive in all sets. They did not dig and pass as well as the Badgers. Hopefully, they will keep improving the rest of the year and make a big run in the NCAA.

They fought hard and were competitive in all sets. They did not dig and pass as well as the Badgers. Hopefully, they will keep improving the rest of the year and make a big run in the NCAA.
God, how I want to be as optimistic as you. They haven't shown all season to be able to push through and get that tough win.

The third set may have been Minnesota's best set of the season.
But one great set per match doesn't cut it at this level of competition, does it? The Gophers were outserved and outhustled and playing from behind all of sets 1 & 2, which seems a pattern v. elite opponents recently. Why aren't the Gophers beating the elite? For the past 3 1/2 years the Gophers have had a world-class HC and a stream of top recruits, but they're being challenged or mostly outclassed by programs like WI and OSU that they've beaten regularly before. Why is this happening given the MN program's outstanding personnel?

Real questionable call at 20-22 Wisconsin in the 4th set. Ball certainly looked like it was in the plane and was fair game for the gophers.
It seems strange that that's not something you can challenge. With a camera angle looking right down the net, it would seem to be one of the easier things to review.

God, how I want to be as optimistic as you. They haven't shown all season to be able to push through and get that tough win.
They've had some nice wins, as well as frustrating losses, mostly at Maturi this season.

Only tough away matches so far have been: Texas, Purdue (first match), Michigan, and now Wisc. Other than Mich, they lost all of them 1-3.

But one great set per match doesn't cut it at this level of competition, does it? The Gophers were outserved and outhustled and playing from behind all of sets 1 & 2, which seems a pattern v. elite opponents recently. Why aren't the Gophers beating the elite? For the past 3 1/2 years the Gophers have had a world-class HC and a stream of top recruits, but they're being challenged or mostly outclassed by programs like WI and OSU that they've beaten regularly before. Why is this happening given the MN program's outstanding personnel?
Look at the Gopher men's hockey team a decade or so ago... top recruits after top recruits but they oftentimes didn't play with the grit necessary to win... as a team. One of the reasons that Motzko was hired as he was doing so much with 'lesser' talent at SCSU.

A group of superstars can be a successful team, a disappointment, and everything in between. Gopher Volleyball has the top-end talent at most positions but has often been lacking a stud in one key area or another. They have been hugely successful but haven't been able to make the run to a national championship because they haven't quite been firing on all cylinders at key moments.

The Gophers have been able to hide their warts during many regular seasons but have come up short in the post season when the margin of error is razor thin.

I certainly don't think that they've been outclassed by OSU over the last few years. Wisconsin HAS had some VERY strong teams during that time frame as evidenced by their post season runs.

NCAA RPI through Sunday's matches (10-30-22)

1. Texas
2 Louisville
3 Ohio State
4 Stanford
5 Wisconsin
6 Nebraska

7 Pittsburgh
8 Florida
9 San Diego
10 Kentucky
11 Minnesota
12 Marquette
13 Houston
14 Oregon
15 Creighton
16 Rice

20 Penn State
24 Purdue
30 Northwestern
35 Michigan

61 Illinois
99 Indiana

Let'sbeclear hasn't posted this yet; so here's the NCAA Selection Committee's Top Ten Reveal from yesterday.

1Texas17-1
2Louisville20-2
3Nebraska19-2
4Pittsburgh21-2
5San Diego20-1
6Ohio State15-5
7Wisconsin17-3
8Stanford15-4
9Minnesota13-7
10Oregon14-5

Let'sbeclear hasn't posted this yet; so here's the NCAA Selection Committee's Top Ten Reveal from yesterday.

1Texas17-1
2Louisville20-2
3Nebraska19-2
4Pittsburgh21-2
5San Diego20-1
6Ohio State15-5
7Wisconsin17-3
8Stanford15-4
9Minnesota13-7
10Oregon14-5
Good selection committee position for a seven-loss team, for whatever it is worth. I like it. Go Gophers!

Look at the Gopher men's hockey team a decade or so ago... top recruits after top recruits but they oftentimes didn't play with the grit necessary to win... as a team. One of the reasons that Motzko was hired as he was doing so much with 'lesser' talent at SCSU.

A group of superstars can be a successful team, a disappointment, and everything in between. Gopher Volleyball has the top-end talent at most positions but has often been lacking a stud in one key area or another. They have been hugely successful but haven't been able to make the run to a national championship because they haven't quite been firing on all cylinders at key moments.

The Gophers have been able to hide their warts during many regular seasons but have come up short in the post season when the margin of error is razor thin.

I certainly don't think that they've been outclassed by OSU over the last few years. Wisconsin HAS had some VERY strong teams during that time frame as evidenced by their post season runs.
I agree w/ your comments but hesitate to reply because I don't follow hockey and know little at all about the technical, qantitative aspects of VB. But I haven't missed a Gophers VB match for 6-7 years. My impressionistic & qualitative feelings are that MN has lost VB games 2000-2022 that MN teams up-to-and-including 2019 would've found a way to win, when not by sheer talent then by grit & determination. Examples of bad losses abound: blowing 3 match points at home v. WI in 2021; in 2022, losing a 2-1 games lead v. lowly (though admittably improving) NW at home; looking dead on their feet v. Pepperdine & OSU at home, & disoriented in sets 1 & 2 v. WI on the road. A team w/ so many talented players shouldn't be so prone to unfocused lapses. Lacking a stud in key areas is maybe the key to shortage, true. But why does a program w/ a top HC in the prime of his career and top recruits incoming & some already in place show a steady decline for the past 3 years? Something is missing that was there before.The answer is likely reflected in stats but not originating there. I'm commenting on (what I think) I see. Correct me....

1Texas17-1
2Louisville20-2
3Nebraska19-2
4Pittsburgh21-2
5San Diego20-1
6Ohio State15-5
7Wisconsin17-3
8Stanford15-4
9Minnesota13-7
10Oregon14-5
Thanks, Ignatius. Big Ten movers since the October 2nd Top Ten: Purdue at #9 dropped out (they were 12-1 at the time; now they're 16-6); and Wisconsin, not listed on October 2nd, is now #7 (they were 8-3 at the time, and since then, have won 9 straight).

Top Bottom