Gopher Volleyball 2022 Season

Good match. Improved enthusiasm and hustle. Looks like they were embarrassed by their play against Pepperdine and came out to redeem themselves tonight. It looked like they lost their focus in the third set but regrouped and almost won the set. They played a solid fourth set to close it out. Hopefully, this win will give them something to build on. Go Gophers.

Coach McCutch is not happy, the zip up is coming off.

It was also became increasingly humid in the Pav as the match rolled on. It brought back some pre air conditioning memories-as did Paula Gentil who made an appearance at half time.

Hugh coached the match from the sideline and not his chair. It seemed to work with the exception that he didn't have a solution to slowing down WSU's outside hitters in the third set. It's a problem we had with Pepperdine.

Anyway, it was a strong conclusion to a football/volleyball double header. Especially the part where we got to marvel at Carter Booth's upside again.

It was also became increasingly humid in the Pav as the match rolled on. It brought back some pre air conditioning memories-as did Paula Gentil who made an appearance at half time.

Hugh coached the match from the sideline and not his chair. It seemed to work with the exception that he didn't have a solution to slowing down WSU's outside hitters in the third set. It's a problem we had with Pepperdine.

Anyway, it was a strong conclusion to a football/volleyball double header. Especially the part where we got to marvel at Carter Booth's upside again.
I'd say with 2 apparent fresshmen superstars in Wucherer and Booth put them in the game and let them play every match to the max.

I’ve written the same thought multiple times before on this message board and will write it one more time, the most underrated Gopher star is Melanie Shaffmaster. Shaffmaster may record more wins at setter than any Gopher in history before she is done and we are so fortunate to have her bridge the time gap between the great SSS and the coming Stella Swenson. Man, she is booking a lot of Ws for Gopher volleyball! Good on ya Melanie Shaffmaster.

Tried to stay up and watch the match when we got back from the football game, but I was fried. Glad that they definitely seemed to have corrected.

People on VT commenting how Hugh was actually out of his chair and animated! Hell yes! Do something!

And yeah (again from VT) seems that Shea Rubright suffered a so-called terrible triad injury (ACL, MCL, meniscus). Still has a year left and will try to come back next year, I wish her all the best and a full recovery!

She's actually tall enough to where Shaffmaster's regular stright-up middle set is right on the money for her (Booth). The other middles it was too high and they could never connect with it.

Also kudos to you for making it to both!! I'll assume you did not soak up the sun in the tailgating lots prior to the game, as I did. But if you did ... wow! You are an ironman!

She's actually tall enough to where Shaffmaster's regular stright-up middle set is right on the money for her (Booth). The other middles it was too high and they could never connect with it.

Also kudos to you for making it to both!! I'll assume you did not soak up the sun in the tailgating lots prior to the game, as I did. But if you did ... wow! You are an ironman!
No tailgaiting and lots of water did the trick

Sorry, if this was already talked about. What was up with the LACK of AC in The Pav last night?

Last edited:

It was getting mighty close to like it was before they put the AC in.....uncomfortable and hot. Thank goodness it never reached unbearable Saturday against Washington State.

Last edited:

It was getting mighty close to like it was before they put the AC in.....uncomfortable and hot. Thank goodness it never reached unbearable.
Oh, it did reach unbearable at one point. A few years ago, for the safety of the players, the Gophers canceled a pre-season intra-squad match. The place was just too hot.

Oh, it did reach unbearable at one point. A few years ago, for the safety of the players, the Gophers canceled a pre-season intra-squad match. The place was just too hot.
It was almost four years to the day that the regular season match with Kansas State was canceled because of the heat. The humidity made the court unplayable.

That match was also on a football Satruday. After the football game we'd picniced in the park infront of the Alumni center and then headed to the Pav to find out the match was canceled. They'd sent a notice by phone; but it was still a late decision.

I don't think the Pav approached anywhere near unplayable last Saturday.

On ESPN2, Kansas takes the first set from Texas 25-23. A late comeback for the Jayhawks

Forgot about Gabby Blossom transferring her Grad year to San Diego. Free viewing on the WCC Network tonight vs Pepperdine. The match is coming up on a Stadium Channel. It is heading to set 3 and tied 1-1.

Up 23-21 and you still lose the set. What the hell am I watching? Every since Mckenna moved into the starting lineup Jenna has been not been herself.

Up 23-21 and you still lose the set. What the hell am I watching? Every since Mckenna moved into the starting lineup Jenna has been not been herself.
Only caught last 2 points thought match started at 8 to see bad passing and bad passing with poorly planned second hit

Purdue playing every point clean vs gophers bunch of ugly scrambling

Just a few years about we would've been winning 3-0 or 3-1 against Purdue. Dave Shondell goes and recruits the players right for his style. They might not always be highly ranked, but under his tutelage he gets the best out of them.

After the first few matches, looks like MS is spreading it around. Tonight it's let throw to two players and hope we win. Probably gonna lose to Wisconsin too.

Disappointing loss. They let the second set slip away. They had lots of chances to win the third. The talent is there, but the confidence and sometimes the effort are not there. They often become too predictable. Digging and passing are still a problem. I hope they shake it off and win the next match.

Just a few years about we would've been winning 3-0 or 3-1 against Purdue. Dave Shondell goes and recruits the players right for his style. They might not always be highly ranked, but under his tutelage he gets the best out of them.
Well, from what I watched, that Eva Hudson looked to be clearly the best player on the floor. She was awesome. Add that quality of a single star player to an already good and very smart team and then consider that they were in their excited, home environment and they were going to be tough for us to beat.

Top Bottom