Gopher Volleyball 2021-Fall Season

The Big Tennis holding up much better in this tournament as compared to last year… where they bombed out bad.

Rematch of 3-1 loss at Baylor and then rematch of home Wisconsin loss likely

I haven’t read back that far but do we know why CC is out?

My favorite play of the match. The diving up by Miyabe; Wenaas with the wild set and then the put away by the POY. Another fun night at the Pav.

I wrote a week or two ago that the Gophers could play with anybody. Maybe I was trying to convince myself. But after tonight, without two of their three best players entering the season, the Gophers dominated Stanford. This was their best match against a quality opponent all season long, maybe in a couple of seasons. Simply outstanding play tonight from so many different players!

Last edited:

Which means the end of the Gophers' season? Don't see how they can beat any good teams w/o her.
I eat my words. I thought Stanford kept trying, but they looked pretty resigned after about halfway through.

the gophers listed “medical reasons” in the game summary. to me that says not an injury. she also hasn’t been on the bench, which also suggests not an injury. but it could mean anything from covid to the mental health stuff she dealt with last year. total speculation.

Attended the game and was very impressed in how Miyabe picked up the slack after losing McGraw (Hugh is not rotating in a different backline defender). She had adequate digs (Stanford was serving at her almost every opportunity) and her serves are better than some of her teammates (her mini-service run in set 1 really got the gophers rolling for the remainder of the match). One concern is that HUGE brace on her leg - that thing goes from ankle to mid-thigh. Hard to believe that at the college level the gophers now have essentially four "6-rotation" players on the court (Samedy, Wenaas, Miyabe, Shaffmaster) - libero Kilkelly is rotating between the 2 middle blockers.

Last edited:

I know Stanford isn't at their best this year but that was still a damn impressive win. Huge congrats to the team for stepping up. It felt like they were in control the whole match. I sure hope McGraw is okay long term.

Wow, the Gophers used only seven players! That took me back half a century to the 1972 Gopher men's basketball team when, with all of the suspensions following the infamous brawl with Ohio State, they too played with hardly any subs.

Glad to see the ladies have figured out Stanford after years of struggle. We'll see if they can rise to the occasion next weekend.

Looking around at some of the other results, the big shocker was Illinois beating #7 Kentucky 3-1 in Lexington. But then again, nearly all SEC teams lost this weekend (Tennessee, Ole Miss, Kentucky, South Carolina, Miss State), only Florida (16th ranked) survived. Big Ten had a respectable weekend - although Michigan lost to Ball State, they should not have made the field in the first place. And the Penn State loss to Pittsburgh was not unexpected - that was a tough draw (probably done for the benefit of the proximity to the PSU fan base). Purdue did win in a big time comeback style (3-2 over Dayton), but the other 4 BT teams (MN, OSU, WI, NE) all won handily - winning 24 of 25 sets total.

Last edited:

Rumor that she is out for the postseason.
Let's just say that I heard from a fairly reliable source that CC is not necessarily out for the remainder of the year and that her issue is not "injury-related."

We'll never know, unless she announces for some reason.

Hugh is worse than PJ, in refusing to allow info out.

The main thing of the rumor is supposedly, that she's done for the post season. Hope that is not the case.

CC should be playing in a couple hours. :)

Good luck ladies! Go Gophers!

Do we have no bench OH available? Samedy should be sitting rest of match

YES !!! So happy for this team and now let's cheer for UCLA .

Never gave up. Tough match with both teams making awesome plays. Wonder what the situation was on the floor with both teams in unity about something was?

Never gave up. Tough match with both teams making awesome plays. Wonder what the situation was on the floor with both teams in unity about something was?
Group prayer, Baylor is private Christian university

Top Bottom