Gopher Volleyball 2021-Fall Season

Worse than 2014? That was the last season we didn't make the tournament. We were 9-11 (8th place) in conference and 19-12 overall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_McCutcheon#Head_Coaching_record

Sure that one awful year, but otherwise he has always finished top 3 in the conference (which has always included Nebraska in his years) and always made at least the regional semi.

I'm not saying that he won't hit both of those marks again. But does seem like that is probably the ceiling for this year.

Setting and middles, particularly the latter, might be the worst in his years. (I have no idea what the 2012-2014 years were like for players)

Everyone seems so doom and gloom. Apparently, consistently finishing in the top 16 teams in the country with 3 appearances in the national semis within the last 6 years is not enough. If this were basketball on either side everyone would be elated. As far as recruiting, it is getting tougher because other B1G teams also want to move up to break through to the top 4 (Nebraska, Penn St, Wisky and MN), but the Gophers will probably have top 3 classes coming in the next two years. Can either basketball team match that?

Everyone seems so doom and gloom. Apparently, consistently finishing in the top 16 teams in the country with 3 appearances in the national semis within the last 6 years is not enough. If this were basketball on either side everyone would be elated. As far as recruiting, it is getting tougher because other B1G teams also want to move up to break through to the top 4 (Nebraska, Penn St, Wisky and MN), but the Gophers will probably have top 3 classes coming in the next two years. Can either basketball team match that?
I don't think it's doom & gloom. More like a natural reaction to very high expectations that built up, but not fully fulfilled. First, Hugh came here w/ outstanding credentials from medals with the national teams. (Didn't the U agree to wait a whole year for him to take the helm?) He's done great & produced some stellar MN teams & players. Second, MN fans are reminded the Gophers have been to 6 Final Fours & won some BIG Ten titles. Very impressive. Three, in 2018 MN had an NCAA home court advantage, which fizzled. Four, two times I've heard Coyle say in interviews that Hugh is priming the program for MN's next nat'l championship. Five, last year MN had the nation's top recruiting class. Still no nat'l title. I suggest what some fans feel is only disappointment at the hype. Maybe smarter to talk about a natty after you win it than before you do? We maybe should be realistic; it may never come. Or as one poster wrote here, it's likely to come when least expected.

Four, two times I've heard Coyle say in interviews that Hugh is priming the program for MN's next nat'l championship.

Well what other major Gopher athletic team is going to win a national title? Football program?… yeah right. Baseball/Softball?… not going to happen. The basketball program at the U of M is a streaming pile of horse manure.

Volleyball is about the only major team left… and it’s not like it is “impossible”, just a lot less than 50 percent likely. And that’s okay. As long as they are about as good as they have been, then I am going to continue to strongly support McCutchen. It will be a challenge because other Big Ten teams are fighting to get where we are. I just think he is the best coach our volleyball team could reasonably expect to have.

The Gators: After sweeping San Francisco, UC Davis and Sacramento State, Florida lost 1-3 in Palo Alto.

The fifth-ranked Florida volleyball team (3-1) looks to bounce back when it opens the home portion of the schedule on Sunday against the 10th-ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers (1-2).

Last Time Against Minnesota
  • The last time Florida and Minnesota faced off was on Dec. 13, 2019, when the Golden Gophers were victorious in a five-set thriller in the NCAA Regional Semifinal in Austin, Texas (25-23, 14-25, 25-16, 15-25, 11-15)
  • The Gators were led of the offensive front by Thayer Hall, who recorded 17 kills on the night. Former Gator Rachael Kramer boasted 15 kills with a .364 clip, while alums Holly Carlton and Mia Sokolowski pitched in nine and eight kills, respectively
  • Marlie Monserez dished out 53 assists on the night, adding 12 digs for her 10th double-double of the season
  • Former Gator Paige Hammons and Monserez each registered a team-high 12 digs on the night, while Gator alum Allie Gregory recorded 10 digs of her own. Hall pitched in nine digs, one short of a double-double for the sophomore
  • As a squad, the team notched seven blocks, including four from Kramer. Lauren Dooley added three of her own, while Hall and Sokolowski both registered two on the evening
  • Gregory, Carlton and Monserez each recorded two service aces on the night
Gators in the SEC
  • As a team, Florida sits in the top-6 in the league in the following categories:
    • Hitting percentage: 3rd (.352)
    • Service aces: 3rd (1.77)
    • Opponent hitting percentage: 5th (.132)
    • Kills per set: 5th (13.46)
    • Assists per set: 6th (11.92)
    • Blocks per set: 6th (2.88)
  • Individually, the following Gators are ranked in the top-10 in the conference:
    • Lauren Forte:
      • Hitting percentage: 4th (.500)
      • Blocks per set: 6th (1.55)
    • Marlie Monserez:
      • Assists per set: 7th (9.77)
      • Digs per set: T-10th (3.46)
    • Elli McKissock:
      • Aces per set: 7th (0.46)
      • Digs per set: T-10th (3.46)

Well what other major Gopher athletic team is going to win a national title? Football program?… yeah right. Baseball/Softball?… not going to happen. The basketball program at the U of M is a streaming pile of horse manure.

Volleyball is about the only major team left… and it’s not like it is “impossible”, just a lot less than 50 percent likely. And that’s okay. As long as they are about as good as they have been, then I am going to continue to strongly support McCutchen. It will be a challenge because other Big Ten teams are fighting to get where we are. I just think he is the best coach our volleyball team could reasonably expect to have.
My post, which you're referring to, was a compliment to Hugh. It says explicitly that he's done great. My critique is of those fans (including me) & some administrators, who've sometimes believed what may be unrealistic expectations. My question is, by implication, why have such expectations not been unrealistic for PSU & Nebr.?

Apparently, consistently finishing in the top 16 teams in the country with 3 appearances in the national semis within the last 6 years is not enough.
Like the Vikings .... no championship.

Kentucky figured it out.

Should absolutely be the expectation for this program.

Like the Vikings .... no championship.

Kentucky figured it out.

Should absolutely be the expectation for this program.
Your last sentence makes good sense, but probably only if there's sufficient support from alumni & the Athletic Dept./University. That's how I read it anyway.

Your last sentence makes good sense, but probably only if there's sufficient support from alumni & the Athletic Dept./University. That's how I read it anyway.
We have some of the best attendance in the country. I'm sure Hugh is paid some of the best salary in the county. I'm sure he has as much recruiting budget, and gets anything else he says he needs to win.

It's simply a matter of delivering the goods.

We have some of the best attendance in the country. I'm sure Hugh is paid some of the best salary in the county. I'm sure he has as much recruiting budget, and gets anything else he says he needs to win.

What’s “the goods?” Feel free to be specific.

What’s “the goods?” Feel free to be specific.
Natty - plain and simple.

The program has done everything else:
- six Final Fours (3 under Hebert, 2003, 2004, 2009, 3 under McC 2015, 2016, 2019)
- three conference titles (1 under Hebert 2002, 2 under McC 2015, 2018)
- one championship game (Hebert in 2004)

Nothing left to do but win the damn thing.

Kentucky beat us there. And we've been nothing but damn lucky that Wisconsin has choked the last two years. Hopefully they lose again this year, no reason not to expect them to be back.

As is usual you write things without investigating them. Hugh’s not even in the top 10 for salary in the Big 10

Any idea why Landfair is not playing today?

The team is out of sorts today. Some individuals are playing hard but out of sync

SOS will be good enough to still get a seed but still 2 tough games next weekend before getting st Thomas and Iowa state for basically scrimmages

In a post-game interview, Florida Coach Mary Wise said in her 31 years of coaching, Samedy's performance might have been the best she's ever seen by an opposing team's player. Samedy had 31 kills on 71 swings, with only 4 errors.

Minus Landfair, the Gophers did stick in there. But again, we need more offense from our middles.

And if Landfair was out for COVID reasons, it's probably not going to be the last time that will happen to a Gopher player this season.

In a post-game interview, Florida Coach Mary Wise said in her 31 years of coaching, Samedy's performance might have been the best she's ever seen by an opposing team's player. Samedy had 31 kills on 71 swings, with only 4 errors.

Minus Landfair, the Gophers did stick in there. But again, we need more offense from our middles.

And if Landfair was out for COVID reasons, it's probably not going to be the last time that will happen to a Gopher player this season.
I don't think it is COVID. She walked slowly of the court in the 4th set and did not return. Not sure what happened to her.

So while I can’t link it after the ‘17 season salaries were
Illinois 300k
Indiana 162
Iowa 228
Maryland 173
Michigan 164
MSU 176
Nebby 600
OSU 300
Purdue 231
Wiscy 299
Rutgers 95 (ugh- who would take that job)
Minn 156
The Minn salary was actually after 2015 but Hugh didn’t get his raise to 200k until 2020 I believe.

Illinois 300k
Indiana 162
Iowa 228
Maryland 173
Michigan 164
MSU 176
Nebby 300
Purdue 231
Wiscy 299
Minn 156
The Minn salary was actually after 2015 but Hugh didn’t get his raise to 200k until 2020 I believe.
Pay him a salary that puts him at least the average of Rose and Cook. He is worth it. And he lives in a higher cost market.

Illinois 300k
Indiana 162
Iowa 228
Maryland 173
Michigan 164
MSU 176
Nebby 600
OSU 300
Purdue 231
Wiscy 299
Minn 156
Don't believe this for a second. And I know you don't care, so I'll just go on assuming you don't know what you're talking about. Works for me

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://www.startribune.com/hugh-mc...ew-deal-could-top-500-000-annually/406163666/

Gophers volleyball success leads to McCutcheon's new deal
The extension, signed two weeks ago, could top $500,000 annually by the end of the 2020-21 school year.
By STAFF REPORTS
December 12, 2016 — 11:31pm

Hugh McCutcheon’s big-time success as Gophers volleyball coach helped him pocket a big-time contract this fall. The 47-year-old coach nearing the end of his fifth season leading Gophers volleyball was signed to his second U of M contract extension two weeks ago — and it came with another nice raise.

McCutcheon stands to make about $450,000 this school year, with more bonuses on the way if the Gophers can keep up their winning ways at the NCAA Final Four in Columbus, Ohio. The Gophers’ semifinal is Thursday night against Stanford. If they win, they’ll play for the title on Saturday.

This is the kind of success McCutcheon is accustomed to creating. He guided the U.S. men’s national team to the gold medal at the 2008 Olympics and won a silver medal leading the U.S. women’s team at the 2012 London Games.

At Minnesota, McCutcheon hit a peak last winter, when the Gophers reached the Final Four for the first time since 2009, before losing to Texas in the semifinal. McCutcheon earned Big Ten coach of the year honors that season.

This year, he had the Gophers at No. 1 in the nation this fall, perhaps making it easy for Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle to sign McCutcheon’s extension on Nov. 30.

In just over four years, McCutcheon’s annual base pay has doubled, and he’ll top a half-million dollars annually if he’s still a Gopher in the final year of the deal, the 2020-21 school year.

McCutcheon’s annual salary is $200,000, and he will earn another $215,000 in supplemental income and retention bonuses, assuming he’s still the Gophers coach at the end of the school year. The former BYU standout, a native of New Zealand, became the Gophers coach in 2012, signing a deal that paid him $200,000 annually.

McCutcheon’s new deal is similar to that of men’s hockey coach Don Lucia’s recent extension ($400,000 annual base pay), and slightly less than women’s basketball coach Marlene Stollings’ 2015 contract (a little more than $500,000 annual base pay).

McCutcheon already has made $30,000 in NCAA tournament achievement bonuses, and he would double that if the Gophers win it all Saturday.

Top Bottom