Gopher Volleyball 2021-Fall Season

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

STrib: Hugh talks about the quickly approaching season:

"Staring down the barrel of back-to-back seasons is going to be challenging. These seasons are rigorous, especially in the Big Ten. So you need a little time to mentally and physically and emotionally recover. And it's going to be a quick turnaround."
[...]
After Sunday's loss, McCutcheon said he thought the Gophers were good enough to reach the Final Four. Samedy, the Big Ten Player of the Year, is still considering whether to return next season and use the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA because of the pandemic. McGraw, a junior, missed the last seven matches because of a leg injury; despite the brief offseason, the team hopes she will be ready for the fall season.

For now, McCutcheon just wants the Gophers to rest, if only for a short time.

Last edited:

STrib: Hugh talks about the quickly approaching season:
Wow!, so at least Samedy has been approached about returning for a 5th year. Interesting. I was doubtful that the Gophers wanted to keep players current Seniors around for another season as the staff probably wants to clear the limited number of roles on a volleyball team for younger players... but Samedy is clearly a rare talent that may be worth some mild team tumult.

Rollins on Rollins:

"This past season, it taught me a lifetime's worth of lessons about how to deal with adversity," Rollins wrote on Instagram. "But now it's time for me to start a new chapter in my life. I have decided to transfer and play the remainder of my two years of eligibility elsewhere."

"These past three years have been amazing," Rollins wrote. "I was able to be a part of winning a Big Ten championship, participate in the Final Four and picked up some awards along the way. It has not been easy, but worth the challenges."

Weren't there rumblings of Rollins transferring before this season even? Not completely shocking but she will be missed!

With possibly Samedy, Pittman, Miyabe, Atherton, Rollins, and who else? (will McGraw be healed?) all gone, who will be left? Looks thin for the fall unless some superstar newcomers show up.

Rollins on Rollins:
I focus on her comment about “remaining 2 years.” I wonder if Rollins wanted a commitment from Minnesota that she will get 5 years of eligibility and the gophers were not prepared to offer that to her... which I agree with by the way. Gophers volleyball has got to keep the roster churning along in my opinion.

She’s one of us. Might be a good addition to replace Rollins.
No, we already have the #1 and #3 recruits in the nation at this position.

They'll be starting in the fall, and they both played quite a bit this spring season already.

The biggest thing will be replacing Samedy. She hasn't made it official yet, but nobody should be surprised if she moves on.

Pittman could be the same. Less sure on that one.

I focus on her comment about “remaining 2 years.” I wonder if Rollins wanted a commitment from Minnesota that she will get 5 years of eligibility and the gophers were not prepared to offer that to her... which I agree with by the way. Gophers volleyball has got to keep the roster churning along in my opinion.
She would likely not have gotten a scholarship in 2022, here.

No, we already have the #1 and #3 recruits in the nation at this position.

They'll be starting in the fall, and they both played quite a bit this spring season already.
I assume there will be other departures so they will have more scholarships available. Could certainly use a DS or Libero to back up CC and Killkelly. They

The biggest thing will be replacing Samedy. She hasn't made it official yet, but nobody should be surprised if she moves on.

Pittman could be the same. Less sure on that one.
Given the poor play of their teammates in the NCAA, it's hard to imagine why Samedy & Pittman would want to stay, though they'd be welcome.

I kinda wonder about Gopher VB. With people jumping ship or possibly not returning, the roster seems thin. Is there a viable future for 2021?

I kinda wonder about Gopher VB. With people jumping ship or possibly not returning, the roster seems thin. Is there a viable future for 2021?
My guess is... they will be fine.

There is a lot of talent there to keep them one of the top 3-4 best teams in the Big Ten and one of the 8-9 best teams in the nation. Go Gophers!

Cretin Durham
Trying to find her by Googling. Where is her highschool? (She's one of us - comment)
Cretin Durham Hall...her brother is the basketball player Ben Carlson at Wisconsin.

Attachments

• 3AC0D5E5-9AF8-4E44-A0FA-0DA4514304BC.jpeg
    3AC0D5E5-9AF8-4E44-A0FA-0DA4514304BC.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 8

Given the poor play of their teammates in the NCAA, it's hard to imagine why Samedy & Pittman would want to stay, though they'd be welcome.
So none of our highly-touted underclassmen will improve over the off-season? And Samedy and Pittman are incapable of seeing any potential in their teammates? Pro career options and being ready to move on with life is the reason they will likely leave.

I don't understand some of the gloomy predictions for next year even if Samedy and Pittman are gone.

So none of our highly-touted underclassmen will improve over the off-season? And Samedy and Pittman are incapable of seeing any potential in their teammates? Pro career options and being ready to move on with life is the reason they will likely leave.

I don't understand some of the gloomy predictions for next year even if Samedy and Pittman are gone.
It's the Minnesota way. Everything is always the end of the world when teams don't get it done. But that's the way it goes when teams associated with Minnesota almost always fail on the national stage. It's a natural part of the average Minnesota fan's psyche.

If Samedy and Pittman leave, others will have to step forward and fill those roles. That's just the way it is in college athletics. And Hugh has brought in tons of talent in recent years with more on the way.

With that said, there are legitimate concerns about the right side and back row. But the way some folks think and talk, you would think the program is about to slide into total mediocrity despite there being no evidence anywhere to indicate it.

Bottom line for me is that they'll be just fine as the youngsters mature and new blood joins the program. I just happen to think this team's performance in the NCAAs was a major disappointment and people are venting a bit.

It's the Minnesota way. Everything is always the end of the world when teams don't get it done. But that's the way it goes when teams associated with Minnesota almost always fail on the national stage. It's a natural part of the average Minnesota fan's psyche.

If Samedy and Pittman leave, others will have to step forward and fill those roles. That's just the way it is in college athletics. And Hugh has brought in tons of talent in recent years with more on the way.

With that said, there are legitimate concerns about the right side and back row. But the way some folks think and talk, you would think the program is about to slide into total mediocrity despite there being no evidence anywhere to indicate it.

Bottom line for me is that they'll be just fine as the youngsters mature and new blood joins the program. I just happen to think this team's performance in the NCAAs was a major disappointment and people are venting a bit.
Very good comments, MRJ. My question is about the roster. MN had only 14 on the VB roster this spring. If Miyabe, Samedy, Pittman, Atherton, Rollins, possibly Myers, and maybe CC (injury, how serious?) are gone, only seven seem to be left? And who is coming in to replace those who are leaving? Just a question.

Rollins to Penn St, very interesting. Wonder if Russ will have a DS for her in the back row, if not guess we know who the Gophers will target this Fall in serve receive when playing Penn St.

My question is about the roster. MN had only 14 on the VB roster this spring. If Miyabe, Samedy, Pittman, Atherton, Rollins, possibly Myers, and maybe CC (injury, how serious?) are gone, only seven seem to be left? And who is coming in to replace those who are leaving? Just a question.
That's a lot of "ifs." Only Pittman & Rollins are for sure gone right now. Samedy likely. The other 3 have yet to give any indication of their plans. The Gophers have 4 incoming recruits for the fall - Wolf, Crowl, Gray, and Glenn. You think the Gophers will have trouble finding players to transfer in if need be? Aren't they a ranked team every year now, often in the top 10?

They had 15 players until Appiani decided to leave because of Covid, home-sick, or whatever the speculated reason. Sure they could have used a few more players as backups. But aren't there only 13 scholarships for volleyball? If injuries are forcing you to play the preferred walk-ons, what chance do you have of beating the better teams in the Big Ten anyhow?

I see a few of those posting using the words " they'll be fine" to describe the upcoming seasons for Gopher volleyball. I return that by saying it depends on how you DEFINE the word FINE.

If (Big If), all starters who are not graduating return, they are:
Setter - Sophomore (Shaffmaster)
OH1 - Sophomore (Landfair)
OH2 - Sophomore (Wenaas, very minimal playing time at this position)
MB2 - Junior (Rubright actually played her first entire season except when out for Covid related issues-still developing)
MB1 - ????
Opp - ???? (waiting on Samedy's decision)
DS - Junior (Kilkelly)
Libero - Senior (CC)
Setter - Grad Senior (waiting on Atherton's decision)
Opp - Grad Senior (waiting on Miyabe's decision)

IMO there will be A LOT OF DEVELOPING OF FUTURE PLAYERS for this coaching staff.

I just don’t remember Minnesota volleyball teams relying on much more than 9-10 players to be regularly on the court in a year.

I would expect your regular Gopher volleyball players next year will be:

Shaffmaster
Landfair
Wenaas
Rubright
Killkelly
McGraw

Myers
Crowl
Husemann or Wolf

You are correct that the real issue on this board is how the word “fine” is defined. Is it, “fine” like they will be winning a national championship? Or is it “fine” like they will be one of the teams in the mix with Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin competing for the Big Ten title? To me they will be fine and they will be there in the latter interpretation of “fine” category; which I believe is the healthiest definition of “fine” for a sports fan to hold.

I see a few of those posting using the words " they'll be fine" to describe the upcoming seasons for Gopher volleyball. I return that by saying it depends on how you DEFINE the word FINE.

If (Big If), all starters who are not graduating return, they are:
Setter - Sophomore (Shaffmaster)
OH1 - Sophomore (Landfair)
OH2 - Sophomore (Wenaas, very minimal playing time at this position)
MB2 - Junior (Rubright actually played her first entire season except when out for Covid related issues-still developing)
MB1 - ????
Opp - ???? (waiting on Samedy's decision)
DS - Junior (Kilkelly)
Libero - Senior (CC)
Setter - Grad Senior (waiting on Atherton's decision)
Opp - Grad Senior (waiting on Miyabe's decision)

IMO there will be A LOT OF DEVELOPING OF FUTURE PLAYERS for this coaching staff.
I think everyone eligibility-wise is one class less. 2020 is effectively a red shirt year for everyone. There are still a lot of unknowns. Will the Gophers get an incoming transfer? They seem to get one a year. Position-wise:

Setter: Shaffmaster, McMenimen, Atherton(?)
OH: Landfair, Wenaas, Miyabe, Glenn, Gray
MB: Crowl, Wolf, Husemann, Rubright, Myers
OPP: Glenn, Crowl, Miyabe, Samedy(?) (Glenn and Crowl are natural lefties)
Libero/DS: Kilkelly, McGraw, Gray

I think you can form a very good lineup with those players.

I think everyone eligibility-wise is one class less. 2020 is effectively a red shirt year for everyone. There are still a lot of unknowns.

I know this is technically correct. However I just think it understates the pressure on the volleyball team to keep athletes moving through their time at Minnesota and make way for new athletes. I believe they have a very talented class committed to coming in to the program in 2022 - I am excited for this McKenna Wurcherer to join.

I think that unless an athlete is extremely rare (I am thinking of Samedy here) I assume McHutchen is going to desire that they keep moving through the program, and treat 2020-2021 as NOT a redshirt year for everybody. Maybe I am wrong.

Top Bottom