Gopher Ticket and Contribution revenue Grew at a -1.3% rate between 2014 and 2018

hello-world

Reaction score
  • Coyle may be tempted to increase Gopher football season ticket prices now that the Gophers have had a highly successful season.

• With that thought in view; I want recap the devastation that Teague caused to athletic department revenues with his over-the-top price increases in 2014

• Gopher Athletics announced an expansion of scholarship seating in 2014
    • Mandatory 'Donations' for Zones 1-3 would increase between 100 and 500% over 3 years
    • New mandatory 'Donations' of between $150 and $250 would be added for Zones 4-5

• These changes appeared to pay off in 2015 with a Ticket and Contribution revenue increase of ~12%
    • New donations masked a ~19% decrease in ticket revenue

• Ticket holders revolted in 2016 and canceled tickets in droves; overall Ticket and contribution revenue decreased ~10%
    • Ticket and Contribution revenue declined at a ~5% CAGR between 2015 and 2018
    • Minnesota masked this decrease with increases in sponsorship revenue, and when necessary, a $7M increase in institutional transfer funding from the University in 2016

• Teague's price increases priced many Gopher fans out of their tickets, decreased attendance, and wrought havoc on the Gopher Athletics budget; it was an awful decision

• Coyle should let the stadium re-populate before re-introducing price increases because Minnesota over-corrected in their last attempt at price increases and shot themselves in the foot

Last edited:

Being that renewals can already be done now, I do not believe that there will be any thought of price change. Plus, I think a lesson has already been learned.

Let's have a few near sellouts and more new season tickets holders and after winning some Big Ten titles first.

Let's have a few near sellouts and more new season tickets holders and after winning some Big Ten titles first.
Totally agree. A couple years of sellouts and then talk about raising prices. I could see if the team wins 20 games over the next two years, sells out 90% of home games then considering it, but until then the FB tickets are plenty expensive. Its still about building the brand

There is absolutely no plan to raise ticket prices. They will seek to get a revenue bump by selling more tickets and by selling them at regular prices rather than at discounted prices. They have learned from the mistakes in the past and are committed to working to build up the base in a sustainable way. If they want to entice people to make larger donations there are perks that can offered outside of seating donations.

Top Bottom