Gopher team statistical superlatives

fmlizard

Reaction score
I was checking out the Big Ten team stats and found a few places where the Gophers stand out. Note that there aren't any serious places where the Gophers rank at the bottom and quite a few meaningful stats where the good guys are at the top. Most areas are at least mid-pack except volume passing stats.

Gophers are Elite in:

#1 in red zone TD rate (71.4%)
#1 in time of possession (35:40)
#2 in fewest sacks allowed (9)
#2 in rushing offense per game (222.3 yds)
#2 in rushing defense per game (92.9 yds)
#2 in 3rd down conversion rate (48.5%)
#1 in 4th down conversion rate. Gophers have attempted 4 4th down conversions, half as many as any other Big Ten team. Only one missed 4th down conversion this season. 😬 🤦‍♂️

Gophers are failing growing in:

#12 in opposing team penalties (only 40.6 ypg)
#12 in FG% (62.5%)
#14 in pass completions (88)
Tied with 4 teams for fewest defensive INT (4)

I was checking out the Big Ten team stats and found a few places where the Gophers stand out. Note that there aren't any serious places where the Gophers rank at the bottom and quite a few meaningful stats where the good guys are at the top. Most areas are at least mid-pack except volume passing stats.

Gophers are Elite in:

#1 in 4th down conversion rate. Gophers have attempted 4 4th down conversions, half as many as any other Big Ten team. Only one missed 4th down conversion this season. 😬 🤦‍♂️

#12 in FG% (62.5%)
Opponents aren't turning the ball over and aren't being penalized. . . sounds like we're due.

What week is it alright to be excited about superlatives? Asking for a friend.

Gophers are Elite in:

#12 in FG% (62.5%)

This is really interesting, deep-dive information. Nice job compiling this, fmlizard!

Gophers are Elite in:

#12 in FG% (62.5%)
Good stuff. Got one that didn't make your cut (assume because we are #3) but absolutely should be included in the elite column.

#3 in Opponent 4th Down Conversion (4 for 12 - 33%)

Been a running joke with Fleck and Rossi that those stops should count as turnovers. I kind of agree with Rossi, but regardless, that is 8 times where we needed a critical stop and got it.

Good stuff. Got one that didn't make your cut (assume because we are #3) but absolutely should be included in the elite column.

#3 in Opponent 4th Down Conversion (4 for 12 - 33%)

Been a running joke with Fleck and Rossi that those stops should count as turnovers. I kind of agree with Rossi, but regardless, that is 8 times where we needed a critical stop and got it.

Eight stops on fourth down — in 8 games?

Yes, that's huge!

Minnesota is the only Power 5 team ranked in the top 15 for rushing and top 15 for rushing defense.

That's a good metric of a good team.
I see Sconnie is lurking with the #1 rush defense and #20 rush offense. But yeah, if you can run the ball and stop the run you have a great shot of being a good football team and beating a lot of teams.

As I skimmed the stats one thing that stood out was the Gophers run/pass efficiency balance on offense for being the runningest non-service academy in America.

The Gophers, as they have been in past seasons, are not as efficient of a running team (YPC) as the run play volume would suggest. They are also a more efficient passing team (YPA) than the play distribution.

The Gophers are Team Ground Pound this season by choice, not by necessity. That will come in handy when Wisconsin has a historically good run defense, and Iowa sits just below Minnesota at #3 vs the run.

As I skimmed the stats one thing that stood out was the Gophers run/pass efficiency balance on offense for being the runningest non-service academy in America.

The Gophers, as they have been in past seasons, are not as efficient of a running team (YPC) as the run play volume would suggest. They are also a more efficient passing team (YPA) than the play distribution.

The Gophers are Team Ground Pound this season by choice, not by necessity. That will come in handy when Wisconsin has a historically good run defense, and Iowa sits just below Minnesota at #3 vs the run.

Yes, indeed! The Gophers can throw; and if the opponent sells out on stopping the run...

Yes, indeed! The Gophers can throw; and if the opponent sells out on stopping the run...
Been saying that is the key difference between us and Wisconsin right now. I am not convinced they can throw if they have to, whereas I absolutely think we can throw if need be. First half of the Nebraska game was proof of that.

Been saying that is the key difference between us and Wisconsin right now. I am not convinced they can throw if they have to, whereas I absolutely think we can throw if need be. First half of the Nebraska game was proof of that.

The Gopher offense was more reliant on the downfield passing game in 2019. I'm convinced the worsening weather conditions negatively impacted the Gopher's passing game in the 2019 wisconsin game, and contributed to the loss.

We seem better suited to moving the ball in bad weather this year. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

The Gopher offense was more reliant on the downfield passing game in 2019. I'm convinced the worsening weather conditions negatively impacted the Gopher's passing game in the 2019 wisconsin game, and contributed to the loss.

We seem better suited to moving the ball in bad weather this year. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Yeah.
Also, didn't they commit to having Winfield Jr help in run support the majority of the game? That's where WI hit us hard with their big passes.
But missing on our shots downfield where we were hella successful with all year definitely changed the tone of that game.

Top Bottom