Gopher Tackling

Youth. Inexperience. It's what you get.

Put royston and theret back in the mix. Have enough depth to reward good tackling with PT and the problem goes away. Not worried.

Gopher Tackling? I'm in favor of it.

I'm a bit concerned that some of it was the attempt to get a big hit or strip the ball. I think being able to wrap up while doing the first two is something we need to be able to rely on.

Call me wacky but I did not have a big problem with the tackling I saw against MTSU. I would probably have noticed it because I get super apoplectic about sloppy fundamentals. Sure there were a few missed tackles but they weren't the cause of our problems last Thursday, IMO.

My take is that when Kim Royston and Kyle Theret get back in there and help out with alignment, the D players will be in better position and do a better job of tackling.

Time to pause

I'm going to give the defense a bit of a break for the MTSU game. The first game out of the shoot, the first start for MANY of these guys and the first GAME for a number of others.

Bottom line, for all the inexperience of the Defense, this was an INCREDIBLY difficult game to prepare for. The Gophers will never see an offense like this, at least not run at this level, for the rest of the season. Sure, the QB was inexperienced but the rest of the starting offense had PLENTY of experience running that Chinese fire drill of an offense.

Absolutely no way to simulate that in practice. Consider me among the ones that are very happy to have gotten out of there with a win.

That being said, I still think they missed more than their share of tackles. I'll reserve judgment until they get 3-4 games under their belt, on both sides of the ball.

Top Bottom