Gopher Starting D: 10 games, 5 touchdowns

fmlizard

Reaction score
In the 10 games the Gophers either won or could have reasonably won, the starting D allowed a total of 5 touchdowns.

2 for purdue, 1 for nebraska, 1 for iowa, 1 for wisconsin

Yeah, they don’t get enough credit on this forum at times. Bend but don’t break sometimes but the most important thing is, we play good enough defense to win almost any and every game. That is why PJ and his staff have turned this around and had some sustained success. The ups (2019) and disappointing downs (8 wins when we could have won the west 2 of the last 3 years) have been largely due to inconsistent offensive play in my opinion. We have been an eyelash away from Indy 3 times now. Just need to keep improving.

Joe Rossi needs a raise, this is the best and most successful run of defense in my lifetime. I got really frustrated with lack of pass rush, but they were simply amazing. They deserved better.
You darn right!

Pretty impressive effort today. I know Wisconsin isn’t a great offense and didn’t have their star rb, but we were also missing Nubin who is arguably our best player on Defense. Dixon and Green did a nice job.

LOL - You can't just choose to leave out the Penn State and Illinois games.

Pretty impressive effort today. I know Wisconsin isn’t a great offense and didn’t have their star rb, but we were also missing Nubin who is arguably our best player on Defense. Dixon and Green did a nice job.
I'm too lazy to look it up, and didn't hear all the tv audio. Why did Nubin miss the game? Was he hurt from last week's game? Thanks in advance for someone that can tell me why he missed the game.

I admit it's selective, but even if you include those the starting D gave up a TD per game over the whole season. That's really good.
See, now this is a stat I'm impressed with! (Even if one game dragged the average down)

Coming into today's game, Minnesota was third in the B1G in total defense, and fifth in the nation.

Coming into today's game, the Gopher defense was third in the nation in points allowed.

I'm too lazy to look it up, and didn't hear all the tv audio. Why did Nubin miss the game? Was he hurt from last week's game? Thanks in advance for someone that can tell me why he missed the game.
Broken hand, wrist or thumb. Had a cast. Great leader still very positive.

Apparently broke his wrist last week

Both games in the 4th Q where the Gophers had to keep the opposition out of the end zone to preserve a victory, they accomplished the task.

Nebraska & Wisconsin, they bent but did not break.

Coming into today's game, Minnesota was third in the B1G in total defense, and fifth in the nation.

Coming into today's game, the Gopher defense was third in the nation in points allowed.

And top 10 in passing yards allowed in the nation.

Sacks down? Yes. But it really didn’t hurt us.

Top Bottom