Gopher Starting 22 for 2000 to present!

Otis

Reaction score
I’m not going to pretend to know who would be at all the positions for this fictional team, but I’ll get you started with a fun thread to get us to our first kickoff!
Offense:

QB: Tanner Morgan
RB: Mo
WR: Johnson
WR: Bateman
WR: Decker
TE: Spaeth
OL: Eslinger
OL: Schmitz
OL: Faalele
OL: Setterstrom
OL: Hamilton (replaces Ersery, thx Lizard)

Went with 3 wr set.

Defense:

Need help here!
DL: Coughlin
DL: VanDeSteeg
DL: Hageman
DL: Riley
LB: Cashman (replaces Gibbons, thx 1992)
LB: Lee Campbell
LB: Devondre Campbell ( thx Lizard)
DB: Boddy-Calhoun
DB: Walley
DB: Nubin
DB: Antoine Winfield III

Teach me who else belongs, I know I’m week at LB. Can’t remember everybody!

Last edited:

Hard to argue your offense. Plenty of debates to be had but we’d have the best receiving in the country. Could argue Kieft at TE as he provides better protection and the pass catching isn’t that crucial. Maxx Williams if I want a pass catcher.

Winston Delattatonofletters needs to be on the field. Emotional leader and Mike Grimm is so good at that name. Maybe a depth spot.

If we're going positionless along the OL Ben Hamilton has to get that last slot. He played the 2000 season in M&G and was 1st team All American

Hard to argue your offense. Plenty of debates to be had but we’d have the best receiving in the country. Could argue Kieft at TE as he provides better protection and the pass catching isn’t that crucial. Maxx Williams if I want a pass catcher.

Winston Delattatonofletters needs to be on the field. Emotional leader and Mike Grimm is so good at that name. Maybe a depth spot.
Spaeth could both block and catch, which is why he made it over the others.

Delotsandlosofletters just didn’t do what these others guys did IMO.

QB: Adam Weber
RB: Laurence Maroney
RB: Marion Barber III
WR: Rashod Bateman
WR: Eric Decker
TE: Maxx Williams
C: Greg Eslinger
G: John-MichaelSchmitz
OT: Daniel Faalele
OG: Ben Hamilton
OT: Blaise Andries (gets the nod due to his versatility)

Defense:

DE: Carter Coughlin
DL:Esezi Otomewo
DL: Rasheed Hageman
DE: Boye Mafe
LB: Damien Wilson
LB: Devondre Campbell
Slot: Breian Boddy-Calhoun
CB: Justin Walley
CB: Eric Murray
S: Brock Vereen
S: Antoine Winfield Jr.

Special teams

K-Rhys Lloyd
P-The HOTY PeterMortell
LS-Jake Filkins
KR-Rodney Smith—His 2 TD put him over Troy Stoudemire (who is oddly enough the all time leader in Kick return yards in NCAA History)
PR-Marcus Sherels

Weber
Mo
Maroney
Bateman
TJ
Decker
Williams
Eslinger
Schmitz
Falale
Setterstrom
Hamilton

Coughlin
Mafye
Riley
Hageman
Campbell
Wilson
Winfield
St Juste
Murray
Boddy
Walley

Note on Chris Streveler

Chris Streveler reverts to Jets' injured reserve list after going unclaimed​

ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
Tue, Aug 8, 2023, 5:33 PM EDT·1 min read

Chris Streveler injured his throwing thumb, hitting it on a helmet, in last Thursday's Hall of Fame Game. The Jets waived him with an injury designation Monday.
He cleared waivers Tuesday and reverted to the Jets' injured reserve list.
Streveler and the Jets could reach an injury settlement that would make him a free agent. Otherwise, he will spend the season on injured reserve.
Streveler went 1-of-7 for 9 yards and an interception against the Browns last week. He also had a 7-yard rush in his 18 snaps.
The Jets benched Zach Wilson in last year’s Week 16 matchup against the Jaguars, and Streveler was 10-of-15 for 90 yards and rushed for 54 yards.
The Jets currently have Wilson and Tim Boyle behind starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Weber
Mo
Maroney
Bateman
TJ
Decker
Williams
Eslinger
Schmitz
Falale
Setterstrom
Hamilton

Coughlin
Mafye
Riley
Hageman
Campbell
Wilson
Winfield
St Juste
Murray
Boddy
Walley
Your list makes it harder. I know he only played one year, but Traimaine Brock was a very good DB as well. He was in the league for 9years?

Give me Steven Richardson on the somewhere. Could not be blocked against the run.

A couple other names to throw out there:

Willie middlebrooks
Mike Lehan
Asad Abdul Khaliq

You can’t go wrong with a number of different RBs or TEs but the WRs need to include Bateman and Decker (you can make reasonable arguments for about 5 guys for WR3).

WR: Rashod Bateman
TE: Maxx Williams
C: Greg Eslinger
G: John-MichaelSchmitz
OT: Daniel Faalele
OG: Ben Hamilton
OT: Blaise Andries (gets the nod due to his versatility)

Defense:

DE: Carter Coughlin
DL:Esezi Otomewo
DE: Boye Mafe
LB: Devondre Campbell
Slot: Breian Boddy-Calhoun
CB: Justin Walley

Special teams

K-Rhys Lloyd
P-The HOTY PeterMortell
LS-Jake Filkins
KR-Rodney Smith—His 2 TD put him over Troy Stoudemire (who is oddly enough the all time leader in Kick return yards in NCAA History)
PR-Marcus Sherels
Weber, until he was ruined by the new QB coaches was the best QB. Morgan is not even close. Maroney and Barber were clearly better than Mo.

Mine would be
WR: Tyler Johnson
TE: Matt Spaeth
OL: Greg Eslinger
OL: Ben Hamilton
OL: John Michael Schmitz
OL: Daniel Faalele
OL: Blaise Andries

DL: Esezi Otomewo
DL: Boye Mafe
DL: Karon Riley
LB: Carter Coughlin
LB: De’Vondre Campbell
CB: Briean Boddy-Calhoun

K: Dan Nystrom
P: Peter Mortell
KR: Troy Stoudermire
PR: Marcus Sherels

Mine would be
WR: Tyler Johnson
TE: Matt Spaeth
OL: Greg Eslinger
OL: Ben Hamilton
OL: John Michael Schmitz
OL: Daniel Faalele
OL: Blaise Andries

DL: Esezi Otomewo
DL: Boye Mafe
DL: Karon Riley
LB: Carter Coughlin
LB: De’Vondre Campbell
CB: Briean Boddy-Calhoun

K: Dan Nystrom
P: Peter Mortell
KR: Troy Stoudermire
PR: Marcus Sherels
This is a pretty good list. My only nitpick would be I'd have to put Bateman in there, probably over TJ. Other than that this looks similar to what mine would.

This is a pretty good list. My only nitpick would be I'd have to put Bateman in there, probably over TJ. Other than that this looks similar to what mine would.
Yeah, that is such a razor thin category with how good both were in college. Tight end is tough, too when we also had Maxx and Utecht.

Weber, until he was ruined by the new QB coaches was the best QB. Morgan is not even close. Maroney and Barber were clearly better than Mo.
Nobody was clearly better than Mo. We get it that Mo's teams dominating the Badgers have sent you into this tailspin where you're a grown man creepily lurking on a mediocre college football teams message board, but this is awful take.

I'm cool with people saying Barber was better, he is probably my favorite Gopher of all time (growing up in MN, playing sports against him, and going to the U at the same time as him), but not a chance any RB at MN was "clearly" better than Mo. Even when you try to factor in that Mo had way more carries and way fewer % of his touches came against cream puffs, it's just hard to rank them. That said, you'd have to have a horse in the race to say it is "clear". Mo was dominant on teams that beat the Badgers, so I think we know what horse you have in this race.

Career Stats:
MB3: 575 - 3276 - 5.7 yards - 35 TDs
Mo: 867 - 4668 - 5.4 yards - 53 TDs

Stats removing non-conference:
MB3: 399 carries - 2220 yards 5.6 ypc - 16 TDs
Mo: 774 carries - 4015 yards 5.2 ypc - 45 TDs

Averaged out to 200 carry season:
MB3: 200 carries - 1112 yards - 8 TDs
Mo: 200 carries - 1037 yards - 12 TDs

I love Walley, but Eric Murray should be in over him at CB (for sure as of now anyways).

Damien Wilson, Brock Vereen, Demarious Travis other options

Nobody was clearly better than Mo. We get it that Mo's teams dominating the Badgers have sent you into this tailspin where you're a grown man creepily lurking on a mediocre college football teams message board, but this is awful take.

I'm cool with people saying Barber was better, he is probably my favorite Gopher of all time (growing up in MN, playing sports against him, and going to the U at the same time as him), but not a chance any RB at MN was "clearly" better than Mo. Even when you try to factor in that Mo had way more carries and way fewer % of his touches came against cream puffs, it's just hard to rank them. That said, you'd have to have a horse in the race to say it is "clear". Mo was dominant on teams that beat the Badgers, so I think we know what horse you have in this race.

Career Stats:
MB3: 575 - 3276 - 5.7 yards - 35 TDs
Mo: 867 - 4668 - 5.4 yards - 53 TDs

Stats removing non-conference:
MB3: 399 carries - 2220 yards 5.6 ypc - 16 TDs
Mo: 774 carries - 4015 yards 5.2 ypc - 45 TDs

Averaged out to 200 carry season:
MB3: 200 carries - 1112 yards - 8 TDs
Mo: 200 carries - 1037 yards - 12 TDs
I would argue that the ypc for MB3 shows that he was the better RB.
How does Maroney fare vs Mo?
I thought he had more talent than Mo or MB3

Top Bottom