Gopher Stakeholders Raise Concerns About Athletic Director Search

scher215

Reaction score
Can't say I disagree with any of the major concerns raised in the article. The whole ordeal is becoming a bit of a mess. Hopefully Kaler actually has the ability to lead through this and ease people's concerns.

http://cbsloc.al/1UlE1B8

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — When University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler announced a 16-member search committee to find the next Gophers athletic director in late March, he called for a search that “must surface the highest quality candidates” and said “the process must reflect the integrity we expect of our next athletics director.”

But multiple people connected to Gophers athletics told WCCO they have serious concerns about that process, and as a result, the quality of candidates Minnesota might be able to attract.

Kaler doesn't come off well in this article.

Sakal sounds off on the U in that article:

Tom Sakal, the captain of Minnesota’s last Big Ten champion football team in 1967, told WCCO he has received “half a dozen” calls from the University in the last two months asking for money but has lost confidence in his alma mater’s ability to use it wisely.

“When I look at the people on that committee, an aerospace engineer, a professor of horticulture, what the hell do they know about selecting an athletic director?” Sakal said. “You can quote me on that. It’s a laughingstock.”

Sakal said he was planning to leave “a six-figure sum of money” for the athletic department from his estate, but has grown so frustrated with Kaler that he removed the gift from his will. The handling of the athletic director search was the last straw, he said.

“I’m extremely disgusted, it’s one failure after another,” he said. “There is no way in hell I’m going to leave them one penny.”

Go Gophers!!

Sakal sounds off on the U in that article:

Tom Sakal, the captain of Minnesota’s last Big Ten champion football team in 1967, told WCCO he has received “half a dozen” calls from the University in the last two months asking for money but has lost confidence in his alma mater’s ability to use it wisely.

“When I look at the people on that committee, an aerospace engineer, a professor of horticulture, what the hell do they know about selecting an athletic director?” Sakal said. “You can quote me on that. It’s a laughingstock.”

Sakal said he was planning to leave “a six-figure sum of money” for the athletic department from his estate, but has grown so frustrated with Kaler that he removed the gift from his will. The handling of the athletic director search was the last straw, he said.

“I’m extremely disgusted, it’s one failure after another,” he said. “There is no way in hell I’m going to leave them one penny.”

Go Gophers!!
Yikes. Wonder if we'll be looking for a new president AND a new AD!

Seems like a bunch of people who are mad about not having a say in the search. For the most part I like these candidates

Top Bottom