Gopher Sports Update Inteview with Joel Maturi

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
Yesterday, Gopher Sports Update interviewed AD Joel Maturi at the U of M stage. Some noteworthy things that I picked up on:

-The current contract between the U and the State Fair runs through the end of the 2013 school year. This contract prevents home games during the Fair in that timeframe. So no home games on Labor Day weekend until at least September 2013.

-The department is working on booking a very big music act for a concert next summer at the New Brickhouse. Maturi declined to say who they were trying to get, but he did say that they would be a hot ticket.

-The "bubble" came off the new hardwood at The Barn last week, and the team is excited to get up there and see how it plays.

Gopher Sports Update is produced by the Minnesota Broadcasters Association

The current contract between the U and the State Fair runs through the end of the 2013 school year. This contract prevents home games during the Fair in that timeframe. So no home games on Labor Day weekend until at least September 2013.

Seems to me that the U is relying much more heavily upon the St Paul campus for parking for games at the stadium than they were when games were played at the Dome. And, access to those lots on the St Paul campus is pretty difficult without going through the fairgrounds (it's possible but difficult).

I'd think that the U will need to avoid booking home games when the fair is running regardless of whether the contract is extended or not.

Seems to me that the U is relying much more heavily upon the St Paul campus for parking for games at the stadium than they were when games were played at the Dome. And, access to those lots on the St Paul campus is pretty difficult without going through the fairgrounds (it's possible but difficult).

I'd think that the U will need to avoid booking home games when the fair is running regardless of whether the contract is extended or not.

That would PO a lot of fans. My hope would be that they would take the time (they have 4 years after all) to get a plan in place that would be clearly communicated to season ticket holders and casual fans alike. If OU/Texas can hold their rivalry game smack in the middle of the State Fair of Texas (literally) then the U can set up parking for a few thousand gopher fans.

Top Bottom