Gopher Softball & Baseball - 2025

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Well, it looks like USC & UCLA are joining the Big Ten for the 2024-2025 season.

What does that mean for the bat & ball games starting in 2025?

Can't imagine schools that primarily drive for non-revenue generating sports will be happy about adding in California

For softball, it would seem UCLA would certainly improve the league and would likely be a league favorite when they join (assuming they are at same level). One cool thing is now being able to host UCLA for series, which would be fun. There isn't going to be any short road trips for them in the conference. It also means B10 softball would have an odd number of teams (with USC not having softball); so brings a scheduling challenge.

I think similar story for baseball - they will improve baseball overall, but I'm wouldn't expect them to be dominant (thinking more along the lines of Nebraska when they joined, maybe slightly better).

Agree with rowdaboat on travel. Can you imagine USC/UCLA to Maryland/Rutgers trips? LOL

Might bring geographic divisions to these sports?

For softball, it would seem UCLA would certainly improve the league and would likely be a league favorite when they join (assuming they are at same level). One cool thing is now being able to host UCLA for series, which would be fun. There isn't going to be any short road trips for them in the conference. It also means B10 softball would have an odd number of teams (with USC not having softball); so brings a scheduling challenge.

I think similar story for baseball - they will improve baseball overall, but I'm wouldn't expect them to be dominant (thinking more along the lines of Nebraska when they joined, maybe slightly better).

Agree with rowdaboat on travel. Can you imagine USC/UCLA to Maryland/Rutgers trips? LOL

Might bring geographic divisions to these sports?

I think it's only a matter of time that USC adds softball given its growing popularity.

No question that UCLA would be hosting all the early season conference games.

I think it's only a matter of time that USC adds softball given its growing popularity.

No question that UCLA would be hosting all the early season conference games.
Highly unlikely that USC adds Softball. They have no options in the area for a field. Plus if they really wanted to add softball I think they would have done so long ago.

Well, it looks like USC & UCLA are joining the Big Ten for the 2024-2025 season.

What does that mean for the bat & ball games starting in 2025?
It means it sucks. How are we going to win bat and ball sports’ Big Ten championships with those teams in the conference?

Top Bottom