Gopher Softball 2024

Think a lot of people lost interest in this team. 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's hard to lose interest in a team with hitters like Oakland, DeBord, Chavez, & Krapf. But very easy to wonder about coaches who bring in---what? 7?---freshman recruits who aren't deemed worthy of much more than pinch-running, or assemble a pitching staff that can't hold leads. Is it possible to blow a 16-run lead? Imagine if Enter hadn't come back this year. This is actually a pretty darned good team, except for the recruitment of pitchers.

Watched the game on tv yesterday, 16-1 can happen in MLB as well to good teams. I was happy to see the Gophers win, but also realize that the score isn't a true reflection on any team. Crap happens every where. Hope they take two today.

Think a lot of people lost interest in this team. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think that is true; it is true for me. But it shouldn’t be.

We do have one of the best players in the nation playing shortstop on this team. Fans should take advantage of that while we have it because, in the “portal” world, who knows for how long?

1st game today, Gophers up 6-0 with 4 home runs. Middle 3

13-0 bottom 5. Gophers with 7 home runs. Oakland 4-4 with three homers and a double

Inconsistency in the entire battery. In the circle Schwartz out (with an injury? has it ever been described?); other pitchers not throwing strikes; only Enter able to get outs consistently. None of this helped by Krapf not able to catch every game; and freshman Wolocko only used for defense,not given any at-bats; Lindmark mysteriously gone from the roster, with never a word from the coaching staff. Why are fans not given even the slightest helpful general insights?
In this media market, there are few times when the coach has to actually face the media and answer questions, and rarely are the questioners knowledgeable enough to ask the pertinent questions.

One of those few times is this week, when the media always shows up to the stadium prior to the home B1G opener.

I hope someone in the media at least addresses both Schwartz and Lindmark, but I suspect we will only hear anything about Schwartz (due to local reporters obsession with local players).

This team actually seems to have proven to be a better offensive club than any we have seen since 2019. If we can get Schwartz back pitching as she is capable we might just have what it takes to finish in the top 3 and be a legitimate threat to win the B1G tournament.

The problem is that Penn State, Northwestern, Michigan, and even Iowa, Michigan State, Indiana, and Maryland all have #1 pitchers who are clearly better than anyone we can throw out there.

We play Iowa and Indiana on the road and we’ve already seen how hard it is to beat a true ace at Maryland. The encouraging thing is we hit Wyche pretty well despite losing twice.

In this media market, there are few times when the coach has to actually face the media and answer questions, and rarely are the questioners knowledgeable enough to ask the pertinent questions.

One of those few times is this week, when the media always shows up to the stadium prior to the home B1G opener.

I hope someone in the media at least addresses both Schwartz and Lindmark, but I suspect we will only hear anything about Schwartz (due to local reporters obsession with local players).

This team actually seems to have proven to be a better offensive club than any we have seen since 2019. If we can get Schwartz back pitching as she is capable we might just have what it takes to finish in the top 3 and be a legitimate threat to win the B1G tournament.

The problem is that Penn State, Northwestern, Michigan, and even Iowa, Michigan State, Indiana, and Maryland all have #1 pitchers who are clearly better than anyone we can throw out there.

We play Iowa and Indiana on the road and we’ve already seen how hard it is to beat a true ace at Maryland. The encouraging thing is we hit Wyche pretty well despite losing twice.
A healthy Schwartz and they could possibly have swept Maryland.

Is it a possibility for either Oakland or Krapf to be Big Ten Player of the Week? We really didn't have the toughest of competition with Illinois. What actually is taken into consideration when votes are being cast?

Caught some Highlights on YouTube of some of the games vs Illinois....Homerun after homerun after homerun.

Is it a possibility for either Oakland or Krapf to be Big Ten Player of the Week? We really didn't have the toughest of competition with Illinois. What actually is taken into consideration when votes are being cast?

Caught some Highlights on YouTube of some of the games vs Illinois....Homerun after homerun after homerun.
A very strong wind was blowing toward the outfield fence. Some of the MN hitters were strong enough to launch pitches up into the air. On the other hand, I read Enter has a drop ball, which meant she had pretty good success getting IL hitters pounding the ball on the ground both games she pitched. If you've been to Champaign-Urbana, you know there's no stopping the wind.

Sometimes I think Piper needs to make mound visits quicker when the pitchers are struggling with the strike zone.
One thing I don’t like to see is taking a pitcher who has been effective out merely because they will be seeing the top of the order for the third or fourth time.

Piper isn’t the only coach who does this, and I understand some of the reasoning behind it. But a coach can be too clever sometimes and overthink. If my pitcher is cruising and not on a pitch count, why not let her work her way into a little trouble before giving her the hook? The pitcher who is cruising is a known commodity that day. Anyone else you bring in is a total wild card unless she’s your bona fide ace.

One thing I don’t like to see is taking a pitcher who has been effective out merely because they will be seeing the top of the order for the third or fourth time.

Piper isn’t the only coach who does this, and I understand some of the reasoning behind it. But a coach can be too clever sometimes and overthink. If my pitcher is cruising and not on a pitch count, why not let her work her way into a little trouble before giving her the hook? The pitcher who is cruising is a known commodity that day. Anyone else you bring in is a total wild card unless she’s your bona fide ace.
Enter was good this weekend, but I’ve seen her struggle in the late innings as well. Looks like Richardson has become the #2 starter, not sure what is going on with Hambrick. Hopefully Schwartz will returns soon.

This is slightly off topic, but just read Clemson and Florida state joining Big Ten. They haven’t f figured out yet how to schedule 18 teams now they need to redo the process for 20.

9-1. Five inning win. Enter with a one hitter. Jess was 1-1. Walked her first two time up. Looked like OSU wanted nothing to do with her.

Others were mentioning previous to this BIG season, we should be able to compete in the BIG quite nicely this season. After the start we are having, it appears to be true.

Strelow has improved her at bats this year whereas Ehlke has gone the opposite route. I don't feel inserting her in the 5th(?) batting position yesterday by Piper was even close to being justified. There was no payoff in that decision by our HC.

Hope they can get it going today again. Beautiful MN day for outdoor softball.

Last edited:

Like some other folks, I attended all 3 games vs OSU at Jane Sage Cowles. It was a treat to watch Gophers players who clearly enjoy their squad and play with spirit and energy. An unsung star is Debord, and it's amazing to see how quick Krapf's bat is. No to mention other players more widely praised. In general, a delight to see them produce 35 runs in only 18 innings, with much production coming from what's been an unproductive lower half of the batting order. Hard, though, to overlook the questionable pitching. How long can Piper keep juggling a vulnerable staff? Aside from the circle, this is a pretty darned good team.

Like some other folks, I attended all 3 games vs OSU at Jane Sage Cowles. It was a treat to watch Gophers players who clearly enjoy their squad and play with spirit and energy. An unsung star is Debord, and it's amazing to see how quick Krapf's bat is. No to mention other players more widely praised. In general, a delight to see them produce 35 runs in only 18 innings, with much production coming from what's been an unproductive lower half of the batting order. Hard, though, to overlook the questionable pitching. How long can Piper keep juggling a vulnerable staff? Aside from the circle, this is a pretty darned good team.
Agree it was amazing to watch a team completely turn around a game from an 11-3 run-rule loss to a 12-11 win. We scored 9 runs on 10 hits in the final two innings, while Hambrick, who has struggled mightily this season, held the Buckeyes hitless over the same period.

The addition of DeBord, who started the season a little slow and has been criticized here for missing cutoffs, has been huge for this team. She made two or three phenomenal catches and doubled Ohio State’s lead off hitter off first on a line drive she caught way over in left center field. Then she made a diving catch on the logo and for an encore, she hit the 3-run HR to tie the game 11-11. She and Krapf were absolutely phenomenal today. But there were so many heroes it’s an injustice to single out anyone.

Yes, this team has limitations due to its lack of star power among its veteran pitchers and a lack of experience among the rest of the staff, but I’m seeing progress despite some rough outings. Enter was hit pretty well in Game 2 today but she was lights out on Friday and she is showing why Lonni Alameda thought she had enough talent to recruit her to Florida State.

The enthusiasm displayed by the team after the game during the Rouser might have been even better than after the LSU super-regional win in 2019.

I posted earlier that this may be the best hitting team since 2019. Now i have to revise that. I now think this is the second-most prolific offense in Gopher history, behind only the 2017 team.

Keep this offense together, add Susa, who was rated as highly as Fiser and Leavitt before she tore her ACL last April, develop one stud pitcher from this freshman class, and we could be all the way back.

This year, we unfortunately have dug ourselves such a deep RPI hole that we will likely have to win the B1G tourney to keep our NCAA streak alive, but this is still a tremendously fun team to watch.

Agree it was amazing to watch a team completely turn around a game from an 11-3 run-rule loss to a 12-11 win. We scored 9 runs on 10 hits in the final two innings, while Hambrick, who has struggled mightily this season, held the Buckeyes hitless over the same period.

The addition of DeBord, who started the season a little slow and has been criticized here for missing cutoffs, has been huge for this team. She made two or three phenomenal catches and doubled Ohio State’s lead off hitter off first on a line drive she caught way over in left center field. Then she made a diving catch on the logo and for an encore, she hit the 3-run HR to tie the game 11-11. She and Krapf were absolutely phenomenal today. But there were so many heroes it’s an injustice to single out anyone.

Yes, this team has limitations due to its lack of star power among its veteran pitchers and a lack of experience among the rest of the staff, but I’m seeing progress despite some rough outings. Enter was hit pretty well in Game 2 today but she was lights out on Friday and she is showing why Lonni Alameda thought she had enough talent to recruit her to Florida State.

The enthusiasm displayed by the team after the game during the Rouser might have been even better than after the LSU super-regional win in 2019.

I posted earlier that this may be the best hitting team since 2019. Now i have to revise that. I now think this is the second-most prolific offense in Gopher history, behind only the 2017 team.

Keep this offense together, add Susa, who was rated as highly as Fiser and Leavitt before she tore her ACL last April, develop one stud pitcher from this freshman class, and we could be all the way back.

This year, we unfortunately have dug ourselves such a deep RPI hole that we will likely have to win the B1G tourney to keep our NCAA streak alive, but this is still a tremendously fun team to watch.
Very interesting comments! The Gophers' weak underbelly has been poor hitting production from 5-8 in the batting order. But without those batters' clutch hitting the Saturday comebacks wouldn't have been possible. That production has to continue. BTW I sensed a strange but undefinable psychological connection (or disconnect) between OSU's coaches and players; and also with the umpiring, as though they felt everything was suspect. Was that only my imagination?

Happy for the team, fans and program. Great weekend for Gopher Softball. Go Gophers!

Can anybody add anything on BB Jones at bats?

Happy for the team, fans and program. Great weekend for Gopher Softball. Go Gophers!

Can anybody add anything on BB Jones at bats?
Her first time at bat in the big inning, she struck out swinging at a well-placed fast ball on the outside corner. The second time she got a change-up left too high in the power zone and didn't hesitate.

Top Bottom