Gopher Softball 2024

How did Piper think this pitching staff could survive at the D1 level. This is horrendous.

Well the Saving Grace for this game....it will be over for sure in the top of the 7th, if we can get there.

How did Piper think this pitching staff could survive at the D1 level. This is horrendous.
It’s not all Coach’s fault. These players have to play better. Schwartz and Snippes were the top pitchers in their state. Hambrick has college experience. Enter was recruited by Florida State. Pitchers have to step up and play well.

Coach Ritter isn’t throwing those pitches.

It’s not all Coach’s fault. These players have to play better. Schwartz and Snippes were the top pitchers in their state. Hambrick has college experience. Enter was recruited by Florida State. Pitchers have to step up and play well.

Coach Ritter isn’t throwing those pitches.
It’s her job to understand the quality of arms on her team. A D2 team would rock this staff.
Next year we get UCLA,Washington, and Oregon added to the arms of Schwartz, Snippes, and Richardson.

I'll be happy to eat my previous words, if they pull a win out of this one.

It’s her job to understand the quality of arms on her team. A D2 team would rock this staff.
Next year we get UCLA,Washington, and Oregon added to the arms of Schwartz, Snippes, and Richardson.
These 3 softball programs being added is not Coach’s fault. This specific unfairness is a responsibility held by the Big Ten and the university presidents.

Pitching or lack of it by both teams tonight. JC with a nice 6th and 7th. Gophers win 11-8. Over 3 hour game. One of the longest regulation games I have ever seen …

These 3 softball programs being added is not Coach’s fault. This specific unfairness is a responsibility held by the Big Ten and the university presidents.
I never said it was her fault for those teams being added; however it is her responsibility for the recruits she brings into the program.
You see all these upsets each week, (including Fordham over Kentucky) yet this program can’t beat a top 25 team.

So you're saying they lost this game?

I'm looking at the box score...

Good to see the Gophers win with their bats for once. But the pitchers must be able to stop the opponents. Who will do it is the question. Dunno who. I only followed the game on stats, but the fact they came back to win hints at a lot of anger and emotional feeling that they put to positive use. Good vibes!

Last edited:

I never said it was her fault for those teams being added; however it is her responsibility for the recruits she brings into the program.
You see all these upsets each week, (including Fordham over Kentucky) yet this program can’t beat a top 25 team.
But beating a top 25 isn’t the standard. It’s about regularly defeating top 100 Big Ten teams and winning a conference championship and/or participating in a Big Ten tourney title game.

Many of us were watching and frustrated as fans so I am sure the team was as well.

As already alluded to, if it wasn't for JC stepping up and pitching two fantastic innings for the Gophers, they might not have won that game.

Whether you are a ranked team or not, you cannot expect to win a game, if both your bats are silent and pitching is not there. If Schwartz is not available, JC might have to repeat that pitching today in order to see another Gopher victory.

Many of us were watching and frustrated as fans so I am sure the team was as well.

As already alluded to, if it wasn't for JC stepping up and pitching two fantastic innings for the Gophers, they might not have won that game.

Whether you are a ranked team or not, you cannot expect to win a game, if both your bats are silent and pitching is not there. If Schwartz is not available, JC might have to repeat that pitching today in order to see another Gopher victory.
I agree it has been a frustrating season to date. I think we are able to see flashes of what they could be, but man, right now it's like all of the stars need to align to have successes. The hard part for me right now...what is the identity of this team? Pitching? no Hitting? no Defense? no Baserunning/small ball/manufacture runs? no.....I think that's what makes it frustrating right now...in the past we know that we, as fans, had certain aspects we could count on....right now, all of it is inconsistent..

4 things that are sticking out to me right now.
1) I hope we are appreciating what Jess Oakland is and what a terrific player she is.
2) It's good to see Strelow's bat with some consistency
3) Burnett is having a good start to the season
4) Hambrick needs to have more outings like her last one...coming in I thought she was going to be the #1.

5) just to be extra....We as fans don't know all that's going on. These athletes are doing their part and working hard trying to improve...for whatever reasons, right now, it's not firing on all cylinders. Hopefully that changes and they can create some momentum before the B10 schedule starts.

Looking at the roster, Lindmark is missing. Is it a website glitch/error? I thought she would have more of an impact with a .300+ BA at PSU.

Last edited:

Any
I agree it has been a frustrating season to date. I think we are able to see flashes of what they could be, but man, right now it's like all of the stars need to align to have successes. The hard part for me right now...what is the identity of this team? Pitching? no Hitting? no Defense? no Baserunning/small ball/manufacture runs? no.....I think that's what makes it frustrating right now...in the past we know that we, as fans, had certain aspects we could count on....right now, all of it is inconsistent..

4 things that are sticking out to me right now.
1) I hope we are appreciating what Jess Oakland is and what a terrific player she is.
2) It's good to see Strelow's bat with some consistency
3) Burnett is having a good start to the season
4) Hambrick needs to have more outings like her last one...coming in I thought she was going to be the #1.

5) just to be extra....We as fans don't know all that's going on. These athletes are doing their part and working hard trying to improve...for whatever reasons, right now, it's not firing on all cylinders. Hopefully that changes and they can create some momentum before the B10 schedule starts.

Looking at the roster, Lindmark is missing. Is it a website glitch/error? I thought she would have more of an impact with a .300+ BA at PSU.
Really good comments! Any opponent with a decent scouting report immediately sees the Gophers have little hitting production from 2. (with surprisingly low BA from Krapf/Lindmark), 3., 4. (exception v. Charlotte), DP (sporadic power), and 9. That leaves about 4 hitters in the Gophers lineup who are consistent threats. 2, 3, and 9 have been especially anemic. Gophers pitchers have been weak the 2nd or 3rd times through batting orders. Freshmen have struggled with one inning even. Some of those weaknesses are of 2-3 years standing. What efforts have been made to bolster them? Few that are visible. Anyway the comeback win v. Charlotte was a really positive, gutsy step forward by the players.

Both were outstanding pitchers, just as good Barber. Not that anything a person does in high school matters. Look at past pitchers in the state and how they turned out. Hostettler, Dueck, the older Schwartz, Armbruster, Mickshl (sp)....along with the newer group like Snippes, Barber, Schwartz, Benning, Hess. They were all outstanding in the state of MN in HS... From that list I'd say only Mickshl and the older Schwartz have had above average college careers. Bottom line is they need to go to the right situation for them to grow and improve....

Who cares if they offered Barber, she's not here. It's like saying did they offer Rothrock or Cagle...just because she's from MN? Unless she's in the portal and transferring into MN what's the point of that discussion?

Last edited:

Are they not televising today’s game on live espn+. I have it on live stats but not on tv

Damn Gophers out there doing work. See what happens when you take advantage of poor pitching from the opponents. Weird monday-tuesday games on the schedule. Let's also get that W tomorrow against UNCG.

Goddammit Jessa, how hard is it to throw strikes when you're you by 14? Like seriously. You're up big, just freaking pound the strike zone. The only way that Charlotte is do any damage is if they get runners on and look what happened.😤

14-4 Gophers. You can’t give up on Jessa, . but obviously she has a long way to go to help the team. Good weekend for the win column

14-4 Gophers. You can’t give up on Jessa, . but obviously she has a long way to go to help the team. Good weekend for the win column
She gonna be in the dog house for a few games, you're up 14 and you can't even throw strikes.🙄

Has anybody been able to count how man BBs were issued by teams the past few days? Actually the Gophers' batting order doesn't look too bad as it lined up today. If only Krapf would hit. She'll be under .200. Is she injured? And Lindmark, Why is she off the roster?

Last edited:

Has anybody been able to count how man BBs were issued by teams the past few days? Actually the Gophers' batting order doesn't look too bad as it lined up today. If only Krapf would hit. She'll be under .200. Is she injured?
No. Inside info, but she did have surgery in the off season I believe

Has anybody been able to count how man BBs were issued by teams the past few days? Actually the Gophers' batting order doesn't look too bad as it lined up today. If only Krapf would hit. She'll be under .200. Is she injured? And Lindmark, Why is she off the roster?
Good catch. I am curious too.

Top Bottom