Gopher softball 2023

Watching today, they mentioned that MN was in line at moment for a 2nd seed in the NCAA tournament. For those on here who follow the team closely, does that sound right?
Yes. Until this recent run, they were teetering on the edge of 2-seed and 3-seed. They are now a pretty solid 2-seed. Unfortunately, due to archaic NCAA guidelines regarding bracketing, we won’t be sent to any location where another 2-seed, regardless of their relative position on the S-curve vs Minnesota, is within 400 miles of the host site.

That pretty much limits our potential destinations to Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and possibly UCLA, except this year it looks like they have a good 2-seed/3-seed combination within that 400-mile radius in Fullerton and San Diego State.

The NCAA is finally considering seeding the top 32 teams instead of just the top 16 for softball, although this change may be 2-3 years out. That change would result in a fairer and more balanced bracket, because a team seeded 25 would be sent to the 7-seed (or relatively close to #7) no matter the host’s location as opposed to today where that same team might be limited to just a few locations within that 400-mile radius.

Last edited:

Watching today, they mentioned that MN was in line at moment for a 2nd seed in the NCAA tournament. For those on here who follow the team closely, does that sound right?
That would mean they are somewhere in the 17-32 seeded team in the tournament. That sounds right.

G
Errors get changed after every game for every team. That isn't a "gopher only" thing. And as a reminder, if you are taking errors away from fielders, your are giving hits against the pitchers. You're looking for something that isn't there. Fact the we have the fewest double plays...might be the most insane comment I've read in a long time. Double plays don't just happen...you've got the B10 leader in K's on the the team, not getting double plays isn't a matter of not being able to field...you do understand the chance needs to be there to even attempt a double play.

Comparing OSU to MN isn't a tough comparison if you look at who they have played in conference.

OSU has played

Indiana, Rutgers, Penn State, Illinois, Purdue

Conference Ranks for each team in hitting/pitching with the series record vs them

Indiana 1st/10th 0-3
Rutgers 12th/9th 2-1
Penn State 10th/8th 3-0
Illinois 5th/13th 2-1
Purdue 14th/12th 2-1

Their conference schedule/record tells me they aren't in the same class as the Gophers. I see a sweep.
Good call!!

We all know the biggest winning difference between Ohio State and Minnesota is that Minnesota has Autumn Pease. Is it possible she will go back to back with the Big Pitcher of the Week Award?

IMO she certainly deserves it.

I would bet on Minnesota getting sent to either Washington or Oregon, which I actually wouldn't mind. I think the Gophs would have a good shot against those teams.

I'd like to read some some assessments of the Gophers' chances in the Big Ten tournament, if anyone here has an opinion. Realistically what are their chances of winning it? And is their NCAA seeding still up for grabs or already decided in some secret nook and cranny of the NCAA committee?
It's so impressive to see how this team has come together since February. It's especially great to see the speed in their outfield. Bradly and Den Hartog made great catches today, and Burnett would likely have caught up to the foul fly to rf that Valencia made a diving try for yesterday.

Without knowing seeds and matchups: Northwestern 7/5, Minnesota 3/1, Indiana 5/1, Nebraska 6/1, Michigan 12/1, Field (anyone else) 30/1.

I'd like to read some some assessments of the Gophers' chances in the Big Ten tournament, if anyone here has an opinion. Realistically what are their chances of winning it? And is their NCAA seeding still up for grabs or already decided in some secret nook and cranny of the NCAA committee?
It's so impressive to see how this team has come together since February. It's especially great to see the speed in their outfield. Bradly and Den Hartog made great catches today, and Burnett would likely have caught up to the foul fly to rf that Valencia made a diving try for yesterday.
I'd put the Gopher's chances at 60-40 in every game up until Northwestern. Then is Pease on or off(and an ump that gives the far outside corner). If she's on, I'd make it 70-30. Overall with NU I'd say 45-55.

And in NCAA, I'd say that unless we stumble early we will be a 2 seed no matter what.

If the team wins out they most definitely will be a top 16 seed in the NCAA’s.

Getting some attention from the folks at D1 softball.

Attachments

• A333178F-F7AE-475E-B8A1-2AD29E2CA6E9.jpeg
    A333178F-F7AE-475E-B8A1-2AD29E2CA6E9.jpeg
    873.2 KB · Views: 24

If the team wins out they most definitely will be a top 16 seed in the NCAA’s.
This won't happen. Indiana plays Michigan state this weekend, so that will be a sweep, Northwestern finishes with Rutgers...another sweep. Minnesota should finish 3rd in the B10, with only NU being ranked in the top 25.

Current RPI has us at 27, NU is at 6, Indiana at 30....Even with winning the B10 tournament, there is no way we jump into the top 16. Not happening.

This won't happen. Indiana plays Michigan state this weekend, so that will be a sweep, Northwestern finishes with Rutgers...another sweep. Minnesota should finish 3rd in the B10, with only NU being ranked in the top 25.
Current RPI has us at 27, NU is at 6, Indiana at 30....Even with winning the B10 tournament, there is no way we jump into the top 16. Not happening.
Unfortunately, we didn’t capitalize earlier in the season enough when matched up against quality teams. Even more so than losing three to Northwestern, the two losses at Baylor really hurt us. We are currently 2-7 against the RPI Top 25 (a metric the Committee loves to use to help differentiate potential hosts). The other teams vying for those slots all have already accumulated a better record than that, and we have no opportunities (save one if we beat Northwestern in the B1G tournament) to garner any more Top 25 wins. Plus, we have three losses to 100+ opponents, which could also be used against us by the Committee, as most if not all the teams on the bubble to host do not have that many losses to those types of teams.

While I would love to watch another regional at Jane Sage Cowles, depending upon where we are sent (just no Oklahoma again, please. We don’t deserve that) last year we finally saw the parity everyone keeps talking about (other than Oklahoma, of course) as five non-hosts advanced to super-regionals and Arizona and Oregon State made it to the WCWS.

I’d rather be a hot 2-seed with a good matchup (for us, that would be lack of a truly dominant pitcher) as opposed to just barely hosting (16-seed) and knowing that as much fun as it is to try and defend your turf in a regional, your reward is a trip to Norman for the supers.

Getting some attention from the folks at D1 softball.
D1 giving the Gophers more love with a Top 25 ranking this week. I don’t really expect to see them ranked by the main polls (NFCA coaches or ESPN media) but IMO the D1 rankings are the least biased and most informed of all the rankings/polls out there.

Agree with the others that have said there is no path to a top 16 seed. No way to jump that high from 27 in RPI. Without those 3 RPI 100+ losses, it would likely have been a possibility if they were to win the B1G tournament. Despite this, this team should be very proud of what they have done over the second half of the season. Offense is coming together, Pease looks to be running away with B1G pitcher of the year, and the other 3 pitchers are working well together so Pease doesn't have to pitch every inning. I will admit after the first month of the season I wasn't convinced they would even make the tournament let alone be a top 25 team (which I think they will be consensus following this weekend). They're gonna be a hot #2 seed in a regional that is going to give the host fits.

Agree with the others that have said there is no path to a top 16 seed. No way to jump that high from 27 in RPI. Without those 3 RPI 100+ losses, it would likely have been a possibility if they were to win the B1G tournament. Despite this, this team should be very proud of what they have done over the second half of the season. Offense is coming together, Pease looks to be running away with B1G pitcher of the year, and the other 3 pitchers are working well together…
I agree with the above, especially the bolded parts.

I have come around to the realization that we will really miss Pease next year.

Finish the season strong vs. Michigan, have a good showing in the BG10 tourney, then I feel a trip to Stanford coming.

I agree with the above, especially the bolded parts.

I have come around to the realization that we will really miss Pease next year.
I've decided that I'll give Piper the ability to come up with another stud pitcher for next year. Don't know if they're currently on the team but she might.

Finish the season strong vs. Michigan, have a good showing in the BG10 tourney, then I feel a trip to Stanford coming.
I can see that, I also have a Tennessee vibe for some reason.

I've decided that I'll give Piper the ability to come up with another stud pitcher for next year. Don't know if they're currently on the team but she might.
Next year, someone (Hambrick, Sippes, Schwartz, Richardson, or Greyson) will have to emerge as an ace-level bridge to Natalie Susa who comes in 2025.

I just don’t know which one of the above can get to “ace-level”. That’s why Coach Ritter gets paid the big bucks I guess… it’s for her to worry about that, not me.

Next year, someone (Hambrick, Sippes, Schwartz, Richardson, or Greyson) will have to emerge as an ace-level bridge to Natalie Susa who comes in 2025.

I just don’t know which one of the above can get to “ace-level”. That’s why Coach Ritter gets paid the big bucks I guess… it’s for her to worry about that, not me.
In today's environment, we can be fairly certain that there will be portal movement on the team. Just don't know who, when, position, and will it be an improvement or not. An example would be Kinch. We we're concerned when she left, concerned about Krapf when she arrived, Krapf has been great. Kinch has only played in half of ASU's games and is batting .151 with lots of K's and only 1 HR. Turned out in our favor ultimately.

Obviously, I don't follow this sport and players off season like many of you do.

What was Kinch supposedly bringing to the table before arriving as a Gopher? Some of you have expressed over time that you were hoping she was one of the players that didn't leave. Personally, I must have missed something. I never felt that we couldn't afford to lose her.

Please feel free to explain.

I can see that, I also have a Tennessee vibe for some reason.
Until the NCAA does away with the 400-mile rule and starts seeding the Top 32, it is unlikely we get sent anywhere east of the Mississippi. Just too many teams within 400 miles of those host sites, and too few teams within 400 miles of places like Washington,
Oregon, and Stanford.

It is possible if there are enough hosts in that general part of the country that they can’t bus teams to all of the sites.

All we have to do is look at recent history:

2013 - Washington
2014 - Host
2015 - Arizona
2016 - Washington
2017 - Alabama
2018 - Washington
2019 - Host
2021 - UCLA
2022 - Oklahoma

The only time we were sent east of the Mississippi was 2017, which is such an anomaly because we were RPI 11 and ranked #1 in the coaches poll and #2 or #3 in the media poll.

It was so controversial that ESPN’s selection show led with the “surprise” of that decision. Once the NCAA decided that Ole Miss should host instead of us because they (RPI 21) won the SEC tournament, they knew they had to be able to say they moved us to #17 to face #16 because as preposterous as that matchup was, it would have been worse if they had sent us to say, an 8-seed, which would appear to make us barely a Top 25 team in their eyes.

They didn’t want to seed Ole Miss at 16 because they knew we’d obliterate them, so they put Alabama at 16, which sent us to a team with two legitimate ace pitchers who our hitters had never seen before, and to one of the toughest road venues in the country (until a year or two ago, Alabama had never lost a single regional GAME at Tuscaloosa, much less a regional).

That discussion about how we ended up in Alabama’s regional in 2017 was long-winded, but I find at this time of year I need to remind myself of the capriciousness of the NCAA and revisit the horror of that selection day to exorcise those demons and manage expectations for the coming selection day.

To the NCAA’s credit, payback occurred two years later, when I was getting Tweets from Gopher softball basically begging the NCAA for a regional hosting slot when we had an RPI of 7 going into the selection. I tweeted back that we were aiming too low — we not only deserved to host a regional but we deserved to host a super-regional as well. Fortunately, the joy of that selection show partially erased the disappointment of two years prior.

Last edited:

Obviously, I don't follow this sport and players off season like many of you do.

What was Kinch supposedly bringing to the table before arriving as a Gopher? Some of you have expressed over time that you were hoping she was one of the players that didn't leave. Personally, I must have missed something. I never felt that we couldn't afford to lose her.

The bolded is beyond what I was saying or feeling. She had shown some feistiness and power numbers that seemed good for the team. Just didn't know what we'd be replacing that with that left me concerned.

The signing of Kinch was considered a big win for the program at the time. She may have been the highest-rated player we had ever signed out of California (at the time) and she played club ball with Athletics Mercado, one of the top teams in the country, although she was not their everyday catcher the entire time she was there.

Emily Leavitt also played for Athletics Mercado and surpassed Kinch as the highest-rated player a couple years later. The irony of course, is that they both ended up transferring to schools in more prestigious softball conferences.

That’s one of the problems with going after players from the prestige clubs. Those clubs love to brag about all the players they sent to Oklahoma, the PAC, and the SEC. That may condition some of these players to think that they are “settling” when they have to accept an offer from a B1G school. I’m not saying Kinch felt that way at all. It’s just something to consider when recruiting players from those types of club teams.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Piper hits the portal hard for an established ace, even if that pitcher only has one year of eligibility remaining. If Autumn is named B1G Pitcher of the Year, the evidence that Piper knows how to develop ace pitchers, which is already strong, becomes overwhelming.

That doesn’t mean we will actually land anyone. Every top program is shopping for the same transfer pitchers. Established D1 aces go to Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. We would probably be shopping along with the top teams in the SEC, PAC, and ACC for great mid-major pitchers (like Pease) who want to take the next step, so no guarantee we get anyone. Now that Piper has established some staff depth, she won’t take anyone she doesn’t think can develop into a high-level ace, so we will either get someone really good or she will roll with what we have.

Top Bottom