Gopher softball 2023

Errors get changed after every game for every team. That isn't a "gopher only" thing. And as a reminder, if you are taking errors away from fielders, your are giving hits against the pitchers. You're looking for something that isn't there. Fact the we have the fewest double plays...might be the most insane comment I've read in a long time. Double plays don't just happen...you've got the B10 leader in K's on the the team, not getting double plays isn't a matter of not being able to field...you do understand the chance needs to be there to even attempt a double play.

Comparing OSU to MN isn't a tough comparison if you look at who they have played in conference.

OSU has played

Indiana, Rutgers, Penn State, Illinois, Purdue

Conference Ranks for each team in hitting/pitching with the series record vs them

Indiana 1st/10th 0-3
Rutgers 12th/9th 2-1
Penn State 10th/8th 3-0
Illinois 5th/13th 2-1
Purdue 14th/12th 2-1

Their conference schedule/record tells me they aren't in the same class as the Gophers. I see a sweep.
Chase the fact that Minnesota can’t execute double play has not been due to lack of opportunities it has to do with the speed of play by multiple players..it is lacking. Don’t under estimate Ohio who has a RPI of 37 Vs 30 for Minnesota. so far we are leading via home runs but the number of hitters striking out is sad this late in the season. In regards to having a K’s leader we also have others that don’t produce K’s so a lot of opportunities come.

Game 1 in the books. Pease lost shutout in 7th. 7-1 final. 2 to go.

The number of strike outs by Minnesota batters is a big concern. Ohio has some good hitters that may take our other pitchers to the shed. I hope the game plan was swing for the fences cause the lack of discipline was huge.

How many innings did she go without giving up a run? I know when Megan at UCLA went 34.2 it was talked about as being something amazing. If you’re going to give up a run at least give up via home run…that is just a great hit. Better then getting eat up one single after another.

How many innings did she go without giving up a run? I know when Megan at UCLA went 34.2 it was talked about as being something amazing. If you’re going to give up a run at least give up via home run…that is just a great hit. Better then getting eat up one single after another.
40-1/3. Impressive to say the least. It’s very difficult to go that many innings without a HR or a couple bloops and an error. This isn’t an earned run streak; it is an ANY run streak. Hats off to Autumn. She’s really exhibiting great command of all her pitches right now, which means she can attack the corners relentlessly without ever giving in to the hitter. It’s really a joy to watch.

Denhartog ejected for that. Now I've seen everything.

3-0 Gophers. Top 3 rd. Just got the bases full on 3 walks to start the inning.. take advantage of it. Pitching change for OSU

3-0 Gophers. Top 3 rd. Just got the bases full on 3 walks to start the inning.. take advantage of it. Pitching change for OSU
Correction. Oakland lead off with a HR. Followed by 4 walks and a single. 5-0 bottom 3

OSU just put up a 4 spot in the bottom of the inning. Could've blown the game wide open, but the Gophers ineffectiveness to hit with RISP is showing up again.

OSU just put up a 4 spot in the bottom of the inning. Could've blown the game wide open, but the Gophers ineffectiveness to hit with RISP is showing up again.
And we come back with 4 of our own with some clutch hitting. 9-4 bottom 5

What happened
Pop up to 1st. Right on baseline halfway down. Denhartog runs her over then gets up and walks to dugout knowing she's out due to interference. Player stays down for a bit. Then ump decides she initiated contact so ejects her

10-6 final. Hambrick started and finished with Schwartz getting some good middle innings in. Let’s get the 🧹 tomorrow.. Valencia fills in for Nat and gets a couple hits and a walk for the Gophers. Good team effort.

Last edited:

Pop up to 1st. Right on baseline halfway down. Denhartog runs her over then gets up and walks to dugout knowing she's out due to interference. Player stays down for a bit. Then ump decides she initiated contact so ejects her
It seems incomprehensible how a batter could possibly run over a first baseman attempting to catch a pop-up, but any of us who have played a little ball know that if you pop up a pitch you thought you could mash, your first instinct is to put your head down and sprint to first to work off your anger and frustration.

The only problem is Nat didn’t really locate where the pop up would fall, and it looked like she didn’t even realize Rodriguez was in her path, as Nat’s sunglasses and helmet flew off and she went to the ground on her stomach.

Of course, Rodriguez got the worse of it. We all know Natalie’s dad is a football coach and she started off her athletic career playing football.

It was a weird and unfortunate play. Just glad nobody was hurt. It seemed Nat was Ok and Rodriguez was checked for concussion in the dugout but returned.

Last edited:

10-6 final. Hambrick started and finished with Schwartz getting some good middle innings in. Let’s get the 🧹 tomorrow.. Valencia fills in for Nat and gets a couple hits and a walk for the Gophers. Good team effort.
Schwartz stopped the bleeding. She deserves the win.

Schwartz stopped the bleeding. She deserves the win.
JC had them handy and she left the game in the lead and could have easily controlled the rest of the game. The decision to pull her almost blow up and was a bad decision. It appears the coach underestimated Ohio’s hitting ability. She should have been returned to the game. Not sure why the stats are completely wrong. Jc pitched the first 2 innings yet she is credited with 3.0 innings. She left the game with no runs given up yet the box score pins 1 on her. Scoring is wrong and not sure why. Seems strange . The only possible reason to give the win to Syd is based on the number of inning pitched..since the NCAA says you need 4 to earn a win.

Last edited:

JC had them handy and she left the game in the lead and could have easily controlled the rest of the game. The decision to pull her almost blow up and was a bad decision. It appears the coach underestimated Ohio’s hitting ability. She should have been returned to the game. Not sure why the stats are completely wrong. Jc pitched the first 2 innings yet she is credited with 3.0 innings. She left the game with no runs given up yet the box score pins 1 on her. Scoring is wrong and not sure why. Seems strange . The only possible reason to give the win to Syd is based on the number of inning pitched..since the NCAA says you need 4 to earn a win.
JC also pitched the 7th

JC also pitched the 7th

That make sense for the innings then. I missed the 7th on the tube. Then I’m not sure why Syd would get awarded the win. If JC had the lead and returned that tells me the coach felt she was a more effective pitcher.

Out of town yesterday and caught the game on replay. Really glad they won.

I could be alone on this , but in all fairness to the batters, I felt the home plate ump was a little inconsistent on some of his calls.

Out of town yesterday and caught the game on replay. Really glad they won.

I could be alone on this , but in all fairness to the batters, I felt the home plate ump was a little inconsistent on some of his calls.
Wasn't giving the outside as much as some recent umps

Nice sweep. Should get bye in tourney now. Still chance for 2nd place.

Nice sweep. Should get bye in tourney now. Still chance for 2nd place.
Yep. Need Michigan to give us a little help today then hold court next week. We have tie breaker vs Indiana I think.

Watching today, they mentioned that MN was in line at moment for a 2nd seed in the NCAA tournament. For those on here who follow the team closely, does that sound right?

Yep. Need Michigan to give us a little help today then hold court next week. We have tie breaker vs Indiana I think.
There is not much difference between a #2 versus #3 seed however. Either way, we will get a first round bye with the likelihood of having to play Indiana and win to get to play Northwestern for the championship.

#B1GTournamentIsTheBestSoftballWeekendOfTheYear

Top Bottom