Gopher softball 2023

Well I was not aware of that call why she was safe. Just commented on what I saw with the replay.

I tried to ignore the announcers as much as possible. Especially with one of them having a very annoying monotone voice.

Thanks. My response corresponds to yours. I wondered, though, if I missed things the fans around me saw. Both pitchers seemed miffed by various Ball/Strike calls. The line score of that game looks pretty cut and dried, but MN walked a fine line all 7 innings.

Adams did a smart job both days of hammering pitch after pitch in on Gophers' righthanded hitters' fists. They never adjusted and kept hitting balls foul down the lf line or popping up off the handle of the bat. Adams had trouble with lefthanded hitters Bradley and Ehlke.
Yes, I thought maybe our right handed hitters should have moved an inch or two farther away from the plate, or alternatively up in the box to hit the screwball before it broke too far inside. Make her command the outside corner, which she never did because she didn’t have to. The only other solution would be to simply take those pitches. Some almost seemed if they would have hit us if we hadn’t swung and hit yet another hard shot out of play to the left. Adams spins it very well, but she won’t blow anyone away with her velocity.

I also thought Iowa’s strategy of playing their outfielders shallow really fit well with Adams’ pitching strength, which is forcing a lot of swings on pitches breaking in on the hands, resulting in either barreled-up fouls down the left field line or square hits low on the barrel. We saw a lot of shallow outfield liners that were caught on nice plays by Hawkeye outfielders.

Yes, I thought maybe our right handed hitters should have moved an inch or two farther away from the plate, or alternatively up in the box to hit the screwball before it broke too far inside. Make her command the outside corner, which she never did because she didn’t have to. The only other solution would be to simply take those pitches. Some almost seemed if they would have hit us if we hadn’t swung and hit yet another hard shot out of play to the left. Adams spins it very well, but she won’t blow anyone away with her velocity.

I also thought Iowa’s strategy of playing their outfielders shallow really fit well with Adams’ pitching strength, which is forcing a lot of swings on pitches breaking in on the hands, resulting in either barreled-up fouls down the left field line or square hits low on the barrel. We saw a lot of shallow outfield liners that were caught on nice plays by Hawkeye outfielders.
I wonder who MN's hitting coach is. All these things are surely obvious to the MN coaches? Yet no apparent adjustments. I thought Iowa pretty much awarded game 3 to the Gophers by taking Vaxaquez out after one out in the 9th. Yet MN's better hitters had blasted her in the 6th inning of game 1. Maybve Gillespie was trying to avoid that scenario again w/ Chavez, Oakland, & Krapf coming up?

E3-0 with 16 shutout inning. It was a given she would get it
She richly deserves it. Very tough to face a team two days in a row and shut them out both times. We need Autumn and our other key performers to step it up now, so it was nice to see her hitting her spots so well this weekend. The curve on the outside corner to the righties was particularly nasty and well-placed.

Game 1. 9-0 for Gophers. Need the sweep. Is Peace going in game 2?

I'm happy to see Schwartz getting some starts in the field. Besides the obvious sentimentality of facing her sister, I really think Schwartz could be a nice two-way player over the next 3 years. That HR she had sure showed some potential.
Very happy for her. You could see how excited she was doing the row/chop motion as she headed home from third. And the reaction of her teammates was awesome, too, as it was for Amani Bradley’s first HR as a Gopher in the 1st inning of Game 2.

Last edited:

Looks like Sydney will get to face Maddie again, as she relieves Monticelli to start the 5th. 4-0 Gophers T6. Ehlke is a double machine! She’s going to catch Chavez if she keeps this up.

Maddie wins the duel — kind of. Sydney gets an RBI on a ground ball to make it 5-0, but Strelow thrown out trying to take third on the throw to first from the third baseman.

Gophers take Game 2 7-0 for the sweep! Pease 6IP 1H 9K 1BB. Enter throws a scoreless 7th for the shutout.

Great production today from the entire batting order. Pease looking as dominant as Groenewegen and Fiser. Great job by Hambrick and Enter in Game 1. This is the time to start hitting on all cylinders. Keep it up!

Judging by the MSU, Iowa, & WI series, the Gophers seem a team putting it together at the right time. Judicious use of the pitchers; production at bat & on defense by Bradley & Burnett to flank Den Hartog; using Schwartz at 1b; plus even more confident performance by Chavez, Oakland, & Krapfz; then the real emergence of Ehlke. All that seems more like the team unity we've wanted for so long. Sure hope the production gets even better. Win or lose, the Gophers player personnel look bigger, stronger, more athletic many other teams.

Autumn is 5-0 in the last 5 days and has a streak of 26 shutout innings. Keep this up. 6 more games and then the Big tourney
Your statement piqued my interest so I went back and ran a quick check and by my count Pease is on a 34-inning scoreless streak, all the way back to the 5th inning of the first Indiana game. Anyone please correct me if I counted wrong. The entire pitching staff is on a long no earned run streak, I believe. I will go back and check that and report below.

Last edited:

Win or lose, the Gophers player personnel look bigger, stronger, more athletic many other teams.
True. I found myself thinking the same thing, although Wisconsin probably isn’t the most athletic-looking bunch in the league. I think Ohio State has some impressive athletes. Can’t wait to see how we compare to them.

The Gopher pitching staff hasn’t surrendered an earned run for 56-1/3 innings, since the 4th inning of the last Indiana game.

Ironically, both Pease’s scoreless streak and the staff’s no earned run streak started after a Taylor Minnick HR, off Pease in Game 1 and Schwartz in Game 3 of the Indiana series.

2023 Softball Standings​

Choose A Season: 2023 Softball Standings 2022 Softball Standings 2021 Softball Standings 2018 Softball Standings

2023 Softball Standings
SCHOOLCONFPCT.HOMEAWAYSTREAKOVERALLPCT.HOMEAWAYNEUTRALLAST 10STREAK
Northwestern15-2.8827-08-2W130-10.7508-011-511-59-1W1
Nebraska12-5.7066-36-2W132-14.6967-311-514-67-3W1
Indiana12-5.7066-36-2W334-15.69411-413-410-74-6W3
Minnesota11-6.6477-24-4W530-16.65212-26-1012-49-1W5
Ohio State10-7.5886-34-4W230-15.6678-410-812-38-2W2
Michigan10-7.5884-36-4L124-18.5717-37-810-77-3L1
Iowa8-9.4713-55-4L328-20.5833-510-615-95-5L3
Wisconsin8-9.4712-66-3L323-18.5614-79-510-62-8L3
Maryland7-10.4125-42-6L131-15.67410-56-715-35-5L1
Penn State7-10.4124-43-6W126-14.6508-59-69-36-4W1
Rutgers7-10.4123-54-5L830-20.6009-59-1112-42-8L8
Illinois6-11.3534-62-5W328-21.57110-75-1113-35-5W4
Purdue4-13.2351-73-6L221-26.4474-85-1312-54-6L2
Michigan State2-15.1182-80-7L412-28.3004-91-117-81-9L4

We can solidify top 4 these next 2 series. And maybe push for 2nd too.
Nebraska is at Northwestern and Indiana is at Michigan, so we have a good shot at positioning ourselves for the 2-seed in the B1G Tournament if we play well in Columbus.

Nebraska is at Northwestern and Indiana is at Michigan, so we have a good shot at positioning ourselves for the 2-seed in the B1G Tournament if we play well in Columbus.

There are lots of big games these last two weeks of the regular season. It is as if the schedulers knew prior to the season about how the season would play out and the who the right teams to play one another would be at the end of conference play.

Maybe projecting the relative strength of Big Ten softball teams is not that complicated.

There are lots of big games these last two weeks of the regular season. It is as if the schedulers knew prior to the season about how the season would play out and the who the right teams to play one another would be at the end of conference play.

Maybe projecting the relative strength of Big Ten softball teams is not that complicated.
We posters here have been writing all season about the relative importance of run production and pitching. We'll need plenty of both from here on out. Gophers have the talent. Can they put it all together?

BTN did a preview of this weekend's softball matchups, including MN vs. OSU. I only caught the last snippet of their comments; they seemed to consider the series a tossup. That's my guess anyway.

BTN did a preview of this weekend's softball matchups, including MN vs. OSU. I only caught the last snippet of their comments; they seemed to consider the series a tossup. That's my guess anyway.
Minnesota has the better pitching, whereas Ohio State has the better offense. We'll see this weekend if good pitching beats good hitting or vice versa.

Minnesota has the better pitching, whereas Ohio State has the better offense. We'll see this weekend if good pitching beats good hitting or vice versa.
Defense will be important. You can't give a good hitting team 4 outs in an inning.

Defense will be important. You can't give a good hitting team 4 outs in an inning.
Despite the defensive meltdown at East Lansing, Minnesota is actually fielding at a .976 clip (.980 is the gold standard) in B1G play, good for 3rd in the conference.

Ohio State is at .955 in B1G games, tied with Wisconsin for 10th. Overall, Minnesota sits at .970 while Ohio State is at .966. Defensively, these teams appear to be trending in opposite directions with the advantage going to the Gophers.

Against the Buckeyes, our outfielders ability to run down fly balls hit in the gap and bloopers (skills which don’t show up in the stats) will be just as important as maintaining a tight infield defense. Hope we can do both this weekend.

Despite the defensive meltdown at East Lansing, Minnesota is actually fielding at a .976 clip (.980 is the gold standard) in B1G play, good for 3rd in the conference.

Ohio State is at .955 in B1G games, tied with Wisconsin for 10th. Overall, Minnesota sits at .970 while Ohio State is at .966. Defensively, these teams appear to be trending in opposite directions with the advantage going to the Gophers.

Against the Buckeyes, our outfielders ability to run down fly balls hit in the gap and bloopers (skills which don’t show up in the stats) will be just as important as maintaining a tight infield defense. Hope we can do both this weekend.
I would say that we have seen some very simple errors with our defense happen this year. Also the fact that we see errors that seem to get changed after the game seems to indicate that coach is being easy on the fielders. The fact that we’re last in the big 10 in turning double plays show me our basic ability is less than many other teams. Ohio is much better at turning doubles and with our lack of hitting it will be a huge challenge. Simply looking at stats doesn’t tell the Gophers true defense skill level or the lack of it.

I would say that we have seen some very simple errors with our defense happen this year. Also the fact that we see errors that seem to get changed after the game seems to indicate that coach is being easy on the fielders. The fact that we’re last in the big 10 in turning double plays show me our basic ability is less than many other teams. Ohio is much better at turning doubles and with our lack of hitting it will be a huge challenge. Simply looking at stats doesn’t tell the Gophers true defense skill level or the lack of it.
Errors get changed after every game for every team. That isn't a "gopher only" thing. And as a reminder, if you are taking errors away from fielders, your are giving hits against the pitchers. You're looking for something that isn't there. Fact the we have the fewest double plays...might be the most insane comment I've read in a long time. Double plays don't just happen...you've got the B10 leader in K's on the the team, not getting double plays isn't a matter of not being able to field...you do understand the chance needs to be there to even attempt a double play.

Comparing OSU to MN isn't a tough comparison if you look at who they have played in conference.

OSU has played

Indiana, Rutgers, Penn State, Illinois, Purdue

Conference Ranks for each team in hitting/pitching with the series record vs them

Indiana 1st/10th 0-3
Rutgers 12th/9th 2-1
Penn State 10th/8th 3-0
Illinois 5th/13th 2-1
Purdue 14th/12th 2-1

Their conference schedule/record tells me they aren't in the same class as the Gophers. I see a sweep.

Top Bottom