Gopher softball 2023

I see that Iowa State beat the number one ranked team in the country. I supposed their message boards are loaded with negativity due a loss that can happen on any given day.

I watched two very well played games vs. Indiana and then one of their poorest this season with that loss to Michigan State.

One would think.......at some point in the game, when an entire team appears down and the need to re-focus is obviously there, the coaching staff would be gathering the troops.

I feel an entire coaching staff and Gopher team didn't get the job done.....nobody stepped up to make the win happen. I will also admit that some times at this level the quality of softball being played can shock me.

Lyons 22 and Fouts 23rd doesn't make much sense for their draft

I watched two very well played games vs. Indiana and then one of their poorest this season with that loss to Michigan State.

One would think.......at some point in the game, when an entire team appears down and the need to re-focus is obviously there, the coaching staff would be gathering the troops.

I feel an entire coaching staff and Gopher team didn't get the job done.....nobody stepped up to make the win happen. I will also admit that some times at this level the quality of softball being played can shock me.
Yeah, the overall quality of softball has come a long way, but I watch a lot of softball from the other major conferences too and frequently see exactly the same types of boneheaded plays and questionable coaching decisions that we fans point out in obvious frustration when it’s our Gophers making them. The very best teams just make fewer of them, or have the talent to overcome them.

I think there is a lack of focus. Whether it is poor base-running, fielding errors, or careless throws, it seems like this team has the ability to do it all. It also seems like it snowballs sometimes. That almost surely makes a mistake costly. I look forward to seeing whether or not they can buckle down at home.

I am curious about team leaders on this team. Maybe they are lacking the upperclassmen players who can assist the coaches with getting players to buckle down. Do we have a couple of those players who truly want to be hitting with runners on and the game on the line?

Maybe the coaching staff is in a little bit over their heads. I don't know.

It feels odd to have only one BG10 team in the top 25, and that team NW is at #21. No other teams received votes. Either this is a down year or the conference is losing ground. Maybe portal related?

It feels odd to have only one BG10 team in the top 25, and that team NW is at #21. No other teams received votes. Either this is a down year or the conference is losing ground. Maybe portal related?

It just snowed! As a conference, the Big Ten has never been comparable to the softball power conferences. There is nothing new here.

Each year however, there is a chance to have a Big Ten team sneak into the super regionals or even the Women’s college World Series.

It just snowed! As a conference, the Big Ten has never been comparable to the softball power conferences. There is nothing new here.

Each year however, there is a chance to have a Big Ten team sneak into the super regionals or even the Women’s college World Series.
Next year will be no different. B10 should have a representative for Supers or WCS....welcome UCLA :)

You don't stop do you?
I comment on what I perceive happening on the field. I seldom, if ever, mention any player by name in a negative way. The program? yes. I do mention individuals by name for good play. Plus I'm a season ticket holder and follow or see every single game, except one this year, play by play. I'm disappointed that the Gophers of the past 3 years have been underachievers, mainly bec. they lack pitching depth IMO. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

In my opinion since Allister left the offense has fallen off. In 2017 they hit 1 to 9 and often with power. The recent teams have not been able to run rule anyone. Recent losses have been due to lack or runs. Oklahoma won the world series by scoring runs

Oklahoma won the world series by scoring runs

Oklahoma is not comparable to any other softball program in the nation right now; certainly not Minnesota. There are 305 NCAA softball teams… and then there is Oklahoma.

I think every reader would benefit if when the poster makes their comparisons to the Gophers they select any other team other than Oklahoma. I bet their comparison would then be more persuasive.

That was the first of the three situations that led to them not getting the sweep this weekend. After the horrendous base running in the first came Chavez error in the third inning which allowed the 2 unearned runs. The third was the 6th inning bases loaded with no outs and failing to get a single run. I didn’t see Strelow error in the 7th but for me the game was lost in the 6th.
I agree with all of this especially the bold.
To illustrate just how difficult it is to lose to the Spartans, we failed to execute in all three of those situations and yet it still required a seeing-eye blooper to tie the game and put Michigan State in a position to win the game later on. We had plenty of at bats between the third and sixth innings to scratch across another run or two and provide ourselves a cushion heading into the seventh.

I understand the temptation to blame something or someone after a frustrating loss, but I’m not in favor of ever trying to pin full responsibility for a loss on one or two players. Sure, the Chavez and Strelow misplays played a part in the loss, but on the other hand, without their bats in that game we score zero runs. What does that say about the other hitters? Do they not bear any responsibility for the team’s failure to score more than two
Hrothgar and I have had our disagreements over the past few years on how we have viewed the Gopher softball team’s capabilities. However, one way in which we do agree on is the importance of pitching in the sport of college softball.

This year it is so clear to me that if Pease is the starting/prominent pitcher in a Gopher game, we have a pretty good shot at winning. If Pease is resting, our chances of victory are not so good. That was true again this past weekend.

Looking backward in time, I think the same dynamic was largely true over the past few years with Groenewagen, Fiser and now with the 2022 and 2023 version of Pease. If our number 1 pitcher starts or throws a great majority of the innings, then the Gophers likely win the game. If the game is largely left to a pitcher who was not our number 1 pitcher, a loss was a likely outcome.
You are forgetting
I comment on what I perceive happening on the field. I seldom, if ever, mention any player by name in a negative way. The program? yes. I do mention individuals by name for good play. Plus I'm a season ticket holder and follow or see every single game, except one this year, play by play. I'm disappointed that the Gophers of the past 3 years have been underachievers, mainly bec. they lack pitching depth IMO. Correct me, if I'm wrong.
3 years ago we had Amber and Autumn both of which were close to equal. We just had limited bats to help them in tight games. You have to have hitters. The 2 of them were some of top pitchers in The NCAA yet we could not get it done because we could not score. We left a tremendous amount of runners on the bases. It’s hitting and scoring plan and simple. The last 2 season we played the semi champs in both regionals,just tough draws.

i don't disagree with you that we've lacked pitching depth, but i don't think that's been our biggest problem. in analyzing the last 2 seasons we've lost 42 games. in only 9 of those 42 losses did we score 5 or more runs - so arguably 9 "bad" pitching performances in 42 games (i didn't look up ER vs. unearned). 12 times we scored zero runs. in the 33 games where we scored less than 5 runs we averaged 1.33 runs. i don't care if you have the national team pitchers, you can't win if you can't score.

i don't disagree with you that we've lacked pitching depth, but i don't think that's been our biggest problem. in analyzing the last 2 seasons we've lost 42 games. in only 9 of those 42 losses did we score 5 or more runs - so arguably 9 "bad" pitching performances in 42 games (i didn't look up ER vs. unearned). 12 times we scored zero runs. in the 33 games where we scored less than 5 runs we averaged 1.33 runs. i don't care if you have the national team pitchers, you can't win if you can't score.
Thank you for doing the research on that. I think it finally puts it to rest! Hitting and scoring wins games.

I think we're all banging our heads against a brick wall trying to pinpoint specifically what's "wrong," why Gopher softball 2000-2013 isn't producing results we expect anymore. It's surely what academics call multiple causation: lack of pitching depth; weak or inconsistent hitting esp. with RISP; defensive mistakes & baserunning errors; insufficient visible on-field evidence of improvement in those areas. Pitchers can pitch great every game but still not win without run support. We need both. As another poster commented, all-around team depth is not what it was.

So far in the first game vs Iowa, a Big Thank You for DenHartog's bat.

How deep is Iowa's pitching and what are our chances of sweeping this series?

So far in the first game vs Iowa, a Big Thank You for DenHartog's bat.

How deep is Iowa's pitching and what are our chances of sweeping this series?
Iowa has a very good freshman pitcher, Adams. She held UCLA to 2 runs in a 2-1 loss early in the season. She's not unhittable by any means, but the pitching advantage tomorrow goes to Iowa IMO. They also have Loecker who can give some good relief innings, though she typically doesn't go through the order more than once.

As far as the sweep, goes, that all depends on Minnesota's bats. Minnesota is by far the more talented team, but they've found some...impressive ways to lose this season at times.

Against Iowa today, DenHartog, Oakland, Strelow, Krapf, and Valencia's hits were screaming liners. Add in Chavez's 2 hits. Hopefully that can start the Gophers on a winning streak. Just some help from the bottom of the order would be needed.

Does anybody have any knowledge on the strategy, if any, of this coaching staff moving Strelow up in the batting order to one of the top 6 positions? If you do, I for one would love to know the reason.

I see they have her at sixth today, but previous series or two she has been 2 or 3 in the batting order, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Autumn Pease is having herself a weekend. Back-to-back shutouts. Can't imagine she'll get the start again tomorrow, but maybe in a save situation.
I was surprised to see Autumn get the start today. Figured she would start two games. Is the thinking on this that now Autumn will get a extra day rest before the Tuesday night DH against Wisconsin. Was at the game today and it was cold. I have been to warmer football games in November. Back to back shutouts is very impressive.

At one point late in today's game, there was a lengthy delay in play while the Iowa male (assistant, I assume?) coach conferred with the umpire, the waiting batters talked on the sidelines, and fielders huddled in the infield. Does anyone know what that was about? A few fans in the stands thought it some sort of major beef against the umpiring. After the game, somesome else claimed the Iowa team failed to shake with the MN players. I was at the game but saw nothing special except Iowa's hitters taking a page out of MN's book and leaving bases loaded twice. Did I miss something while trying to keep warm?

At one point late in today's game, there was a lengthy delay in play while the Iowa male (assistant, I assume?) coach conferred with the umpire, the waiting batters talked on the sidelines, and fielders huddled in the infield. Does anyone know what that was about? A few fans in the stands thought it some sort of major beef against the umpiring. After the game, somesome else claimed the Iowa team failed to shake with the MN players. I was at the game but saw nothing special except Iowa's hitters taking a page out of MN's book and leaving bases loaded twice. Did I miss something while trying to keep warm?
No idea what the Iowa assistant was asking the umpire, but the conversation didn’t appear contentious. Earlier in the game, though, Iowa head coach Gillespie did mildly protest a called strike call to end an inning. So maybe she had the assistant complain second time around to avoid getting herself tossed. I will say the home plate umpire wasn’t consistent with his calls on the corner farthest from where he set up and he seemed to lack confidence calling the off speed stuff properly.

The teams went through the handshake line immediately after the final out. I didn’t notice anything unusual about the player interactions as they went through the line, but I couldn’t watch everyone at the same time.

Last edited:

No idea what the Iowa assistant was asking the umpire, but the conversation didn’t appear contentious. Earlier in the game, though, Iowa head coach Gillespie did mildly protest a called strike call to end an inning. So maybe she had the assistant complain second time around to avoid getting herself tossed. I will say the home plate umpire wasn’t consistent with his calls on the corner farthest from where he set up and he seemed to lack confidence calling the off speed stuff properly.

The teams went through the handshake line immediately after the final out. I didn’t notice anything unusual about the player interactions as they went through the line, but I couldn’t watch everyone at the same time.
Thanks. My response corresponds to yours. I wondered, though, if I missed things the fans around me saw. Both pitchers seemed miffed by various Ball/Strike calls. The line score of that game looks pretty cut and dried, but MN walked a fine line all 7 innings.
And yet the sweep happened.
Gopher Softball, Queen of the popouts.
Adams did a smart job both days of hammering pitch after pitch in on Gophers' righthanded hitters' fists. They never adjusted and kept hitting balls foul down the lf line or popping up off the handle of the bat. Adams had trouble with lefthanded hitters Bradley and Ehlke.

Well, a win that wasn't easy getting there

We had the advantage at home seeing a replay on that tag on Ehlke at third. It did indeed show she was tagged on the back before she touched the plate. So we got a very lucky call.

Hrothgar is correct in his assessment with our hitting. Why don't they adjust at the plate?

Well, a win that wasn't easy getting there

We had the advantage at home seeing a replay on that tag on Ehlke at third. It did indeed show she was tagged on the back before she touched the plate. So we got a very lucky call.

Hrothgar is correct in his assessment with our hitting. Why don't they adjust at the plate?
She was safe because obstruction was called. SS interfered with her path to the base when she was moving over to cover the bag.

Top Bottom