Virginia Tech #24 - lost 1-2
Northwestern #25 - 5/1 3 games at
Auburn #28 - 2/28 2 games at
CS Fullteron #30 - 3/6 1 game at
Baylor #32 - 2/22 1 game at
Tulsa #35 - 2/21 2 games in Waco
UCF #36 - 3/8 1 game in CA
Wisconsin #37 - 4/15 home DH

2-4 vs ranked teams currently, FSU definitely a good win. But conference is really weak, probably target 1-2 @ Mich, 2-1 @ NW, 2-0 vs Wisconsin, and then 15 games left. Last year 25-1 won conference and we went 22-3, so need to win out.

Have to go 4-1 this weekend, kill Texas St without burning pitching both games

WTF are you talking about? Go back to mediocre and be happy? Right off the deep-end with that line.

I guess that win over Florida State and run-ruling Missouri the second time around just scream mediocrity.

Glad you liked it! I am not worried about the season. Those FSU and Mizzou wins are good wins. We also have some losses that should have been wins if we want to be an ELITE team. The team rode Fiser to an incredible season last year. We shall see if they can do it again.

Same lineup today, doubleheader in ten minutes but only streamed on Flo premium

Stupid effing base running once again to waste a bases loaded in the top of the 6th. This team has not been "clutch" at all to start the year.

Stupid effing base running once again to waste a bases loaded in the top of the 6th. This team has not been "clutch" at all to start the year.
Did KK get picked from behind at third or what?

How the fuck do you make the last out on the bases in consecutive innings?

Did KK get picked from behind at third or what?

Yes. She turned way too far around third with the ball still in the infield.

The last out of the game was another dumb base running play. Unreal. Bad loss to another unranked team.

The team does not seem focused. Too many mental errors and who is coaching them on base-running?

In all the years watching baseball & softball, I've never seen a team make so many absolutely stupid mistakes on the base paths. Where are their minds?

They need to get that Texas State game out of their heads and bounce back aginst Tulsa. Get the bats going early.

First, I want to say it is great that we have a place to come and discuss softball as Gopher fans. I sense some angst on the board that I feel is unwarranted at this point in the season. Let me explain. I’m not saying this team is as good as last year’s version, especially with Hope on the shelf. But our record is same as through 10 games last year, plus we have two what I expect to be sure-fire Top 25 RPI wins already (two more than we had at this time last year, with one possible Top 10 win under our belts as well. The teams we’ve lost to are all Top 25 or fringe Top 25 RPI teams, and we have many more opportunities for Top 10 and Top 25 wins coming. This field isn’t quite as good as last week’s but it is very solid. Texas State lost one-run games to Kentucky and Auburn, their only losses thus far. They will likely be a Top 50 team and possibly even Top 25 RPI when all is said and done. I was impressed with their execution (walk, sac with runner advancing all the way to third, followed by a well-executed squeeze for their third run). Then they made the plays defensively (diving stop at 2nd, great catch in CF, and the heads up play to get Kemmetmueller straying too far off 3rd, followed the next inning with the cutoff to catch Den Hartog between first and second). That said, we do have to be much smarter on the base paths, especially without Hope in the lineup. We may be somewhat more offensively challenged this year than in recent years so we must learn how to win the close games to have a chance to be as successful as last year. So far we’ve struggled to win those tight pitcher’s duel contests. Fiser has struggled with her command early but she’s way too talented so I’m confident she will find her groove. Pease has been a pleasant surprise, even against good offenses like Florida State. Our non-conference schedule again this year is designed to put us in a position to host if we can just win about 18 or 19 games heading into the Big Ten schedule. And finally the Big Ten saw the light and adjusted their scheduling methodology to pair the top finishers from the previous year rather than the East-West-crossover methodology that had us missing Michigan for six years at a time! This conference schedule will allow us to improve our RPI without having to win virtually every game, because with RPI it’s more about who you play than whether you actually win lol, as long as you rack up enough wins against RPI Top 10 (to be in consideration for a Top 8 seed) and RPI Top 25 (to be in consideration for a Top 16 seed).

Tulsa has a good record but has struggled to score much. Pitching has been their strength. Very good then to see us squaring a lot of balls up against them. We did the last three innings against Texas State too, so hopefully this is a sign we are rounding into form offensively. We will need to be on our A game offensively tomorrow against Baylor (presumably facing Gia Rodoni, who I believe is a Top 10 pitcher nationally).

She’s so strong. To hit a fly ball HR down the right field line is impressive.

Letting Amber finish out shortened no hitter, but would be an ideal situation to let Ava pitch an inning. Just don't give up 4+ runs

Yes they probably would have thrown either Jones or Dueck out there for the 5th if Amber didn’t have a no hitter going and if she hadn’t been struggling with her command and wanted to let her finish it out to help her confidence.

I was upset earlier today because I could not get Flosports up and running on my smartphone. After reading these posts and knowing the outcome, I am glad I did not see the game. I too would have probably been very upset to see the mental mistakes being made.

Able to watch the entire second game vs. Tulsa. Much much better all around. Maybe just maybe some of these players that are struggling offensively are simply trying too hard. Team could use about 4 more Partain's at bat.

First, I want to say it is great that we have a place to come and discuss softball as Gopher fans. I sense some angst on the board that I feel is unwarranted at this point in the season. Let me explain. I’m not saying this team is as good as last year’s version, especially with Hope on the shelf. But our record is same as through 10 games last year, plus we have two what I expect to be sure-fire Top 25 RPI wins already (two more than we had at this time last year, with one possible Top 10 win under our belts as well. The teams we’ve lost to are all Top 25 or fringe Top 25 RPI teams, and we have many more opportunities for Top 10 and Top 25 wins coming. This field isn’t quite as good as last week’s but it is very solid. Texas State lost one-run games to Kentucky and Auburn, their only losses thus far. They will likely be a Top 50 team and possibly even Top 25 RPI when all is said and done. I was impressed with their execution (walk, sac with runner advancing all the way to third, followed by a well-executed squeeze for their third run). Then they made the plays defensively (diving stop at 2nd, great catch in CF, and the heads up play to get Kemmetmueller straying too far off 3rd, followed the next inning with the cutoff to catch Den Hartog between first and second). That said, we do have to be much smarter on the base paths, especially without Hope in the lineup. We may be somewhat more offensively challenged this year than in recent years so we must learn how to win the close games to have a chance to be as successful as last year. So far we’ve struggled to win those tight pitcher’s duel contests. Fiser has struggled with her command early but she’s way too talented so I’m confident she will find her groove. Pease has been a pleasant surprise, even against good offenses like Florida State. Our non-conference schedule again this year is designed to put us in a position to host if we can just win about 18 or 19 games heading into the Big Ten schedule. And finally the Big Ten saw the light and adjusted their scheduling methodology to pair the top finishers from the previous year rather than the East-West-crossover methodology that had us missing Michigan for six years at a time! This conference schedule will allow us to improve our RPI without having to win virtually every game, because with RPI it’s more about who you play than whether you actually win lol, as long as you rack up enough wins against RPI Top 10 (to be in consideration for a Top 8 seed) and RPI Top 25 (to be in consideration for a Top 16 seed).

I admire your philosophical approach to the team's performance, but I struggle to share it. Instead of losing to teams like VT and Texas State, they need to be honing their skills by blowing past teams like that before they face the greater challenges of squads like UCLA and Michigan. With their present passive approach, they won't even challenge for the BIG title let alone advance through the NCAA tournament. Maybe the problem is that the Gophers were overrated in the pre-season. If that's not the case, then they'd best wake up fast. Their hitters and baserunners are wasting the skills of two fine pitchers.

I admire your philosophical approach to the team's performance, but I struggle to share it. Instead of losing to teams like VT and Texas State, they need to be honing their skills by blowing past teams like that before they face the greater challenges of squads like UCLA and Michigan. With their present passive approach, they won't even challenge for the BIG title let alone advance through the NCAA tournament. Maybe the problem is that the Gophers were overrated in the pre-season. If that's not the case, then they'd best wake up fast. Their hitters and baserunners are wasting the skills of two fine pitchers.

I would love it if we were dominating teams, too, but I realize without Brandner’s bat in the lineup, it probably isn’t feasible. We should dominate teams outside the Top 75 though, but we haven’t really played many thus far.

I don’t think it’s for lack of wanting to dominate — the truth is we have one player playing right now who was regarded as a Top 100 player coming out of high school (although we probably actually have three who are Top 100 college players).

At this point we are still a developmental program, so we should be thankful for what we were privileged to witness last spring. We have come so far as a program since the beginning of the last decade it’s hard to identify another program nationally that’s come so far so fast. That’s my perspective.

I just hope we can capitalize on what Allister and Trachsel have built and take the next step — a program everyone thinks about when they think Big Ten softball. Case in point, on the Northwestern-Florida broadcast today, the announcer said Northwestern should be right up there in the Big Ten this year along with Michigan. No mention of Minnesota despite the WCWS appearance last year!

What it looks like to me is that other people are trying really hard to stay positive 2 weeks into the season and you look to be trying your best to prove they suck. isn’t it nice your quality of life doesn’t HAVE to be affected by the production of a team full of young women who live real lives and struggle daily with things like injuries. im so happy you don’t have to go through many of the things they do but anyways, good job sir you’ve been heard. NEXT!

I would love it if we were dominating teams, too, but I realize without Brandner’s bat in the lineup, it probably isn’t feasible. We should dominate teams outside the Top 75 though, but we haven’t really played many thus far.

I don’t think it’s for lack of wanting to dominate — the truth is we have one player playing right now who was regarded as a Top 100 player coming out of high school (although we probably actually have three who are Top 100 college players).

At this point we are still a developmental program, so we should be thankful for what we were privileged to witness last spring. We have come so far as a program since the beginning of the last decade it’s hard to identify another program nationally that’s come so far so fast. That’s my perspective.

I just hope we can capitalize on what Allister and Trachsel have built and take the next step — a program everyone thinks about when they think Big Ten softball. Case in point, on the Northwestern-Florida broadcast today, the announcer said Northwestern should be right up there in the Big Ten this year along with Michigan. No mention of Minnesota despite the WCWS appearance last year!

Taking the next step is what I am talking about. You gotta beat Texas State. One "lighting in a bottle" year doesn't do it. Beat Mizzou and VT and Kentucky. I like the schedule but we can't give away games like that. I am a huge Gopher homer and will follow this team regardless. In my opinion, the softball team is in a similar position as the football team. They both had great breakout seasons in 2019. Can they capitalize on the success? Jamie is now recruiting her players. Can she sustain what Allister built and take it to the next level? She should be able to capitalize on last year and recruit a replacement for Fiser. If PJ goes 8-4 next year there will be some pissed off folks regardless of injuries etc... He set the bar high just like Jamie did. If Jamie gets eliminated in regionals with Fiser as a senior pitcher folks will rightfully ask questions about whether or not she is the right coach. She had success last year with Allister's players.

Softball recruiting rankings are a joke. Which rankings do you recommend? I would love to be convinced.

Taking the next step is what I am talking about. You gotta beat Texas State. One "lighting in a bottle" year doesn't do it. Beat Mizzou and VT and Kentucky. I like the schedule but we can't give away games like that. I am a huge Gopher homer and will follow this team regardless. In my opinion, the softball team is in a similar position as the football team. They both had great breakout seasons in 2019. Can they capitalize on the success? Jamie is now recruiting her players. Can she sustain what Allister built and take it to the next level? She should be able to capitalize on last year and recruit a replacement for Fiser. If PJ goes 8-4 next year there will be some pissed off folks regardless of injuries etc... He set the bar high just like Jamie did. If Jamie gets eliminated in regionals with Fiser as a senior pitcher folks will rightfully ask questions about whether or not she is the right coach. She had success last year with Allister's players.
Should we have a high bar set for expectations? Of course. Should we be frustrated over losing close games we had opportunities to win? Certainly. Questioning the coach the year after a WCWS run that has never been done at the school before? Truly absurd.

It would be interesting to see if your job has those same high standards. Are you in the top 2.8% of whatever you do? If not...you might not be the right person for the job. Never mind that you are in a Northern climate, are nowhere near a recruiting hotbed, and spend the first 5 weekends traveling all over the country. Florida State did not make a return trip to the WCWS after winning the previous year. I am sure Lonnie Alameda was not questioned as if she was the right coach. And she plays in a recruiting hotbed, plays in a southern climate and "horror of horrors"....just lost to our Gophers. Only 3 WCWS trips with all those advantages since 2009...not sure why they keep her around.

Unbelievable.

Should we have a high bar set for expectations? Of course. Should we be frustrated over losing close games we had opportunities to win? Certainly. Questioning the coach the year after a WCWS run that has never been done at the school before? Truly absurd.

It would be interesting to see if your job has those same high standards. Are you in the top 2.8% of whatever you do? If not...you might not be the right person for the job. Never mind that you are in a Northern climate, are nowhere near a recruiting hotbed, and spend the first 5 weekends traveling all over the country. Florida State did not make a return trip to the WCWS after winning the previous year. I am sure Lonnie Alameda was not questioned as if she was the right coach. And she plays in a recruiting hotbed, plays in a southern climate and "horror of horrors"....just lost to our Gophers. Only 3 WCWS trips with all those advantages since 2009...not sure why they keep her around.

Unbelievable.

You are welcome to your opinion. We disagree. Jamie took a job at a B1G program that was ranked #1 the previous season. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen and coach somewhere else. Gopher softball has had an incredible run of dominant pitching considering all the "disadvantages" we have here. She has a returning ace pitcher from a WCWS team. How long does her free pass for last year last if she does not have continued success? Are you really comparing Almeda's 12 years at FSU with Jamie's 2-year stint here? Almeda has 8 ACC titles, hasn't missed the Supers since 2012, and has a natty on her resume.

Unbelievable.

Top Bottom