Gopher Soccer 2021 Fall Season

Five minutes in, Sophia Boman opens the season with a goal which turns out to be the game winner. Gophers defeat Baylor 1-0.

Minnesota keeper, Megan Plaschko, recorded her second shut out; but the Gophers could not net a goal in a tie with UIC.

The University of Minnesota (1-0-1, 0-0-0 B1G) secured it's second shutout in as many matches on Sunday afternoon at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium with a 0-0 draw against the University of Illinois - Chicago. Megan Plaschko, along with the Gophers back line, allowed just four shots with only one on frame to secure the clean sheet.

"Sunday matches are arguably the hardest in college soccer," Chastain said. "We are disappointed in the result today, but there are still bright spots with our group. Defensively we were organized and we were tough. We generated some really nice chances in the run of play that hopefully now our next step will be capitalizing on those."

The biggest question will be who scores imo. There are a lot of nice pieces for coach Chastain to work with. Just gotta find a player or two who can find the back of the net.

Minnesota defeated Drake 1-0 in Des Moines. The lone goal came via a successful DeLaney Stekr penalty 5 minutes into the match. 25 minutes later, Drake was red carded for playing tackle football and operated short handed the rest of the way.

Another match; another shutout; another tie. Mississippi State 0, Minnesota 0.

Here's Plaschko saving a penalty; it may have been her second best save of the match

On Sunday, Minnesota recorded it fifth consecutive shut-out with a 4-0 victory over visiting Wyoming.

While I was at volleyball, the Gophers dropped the B1G opener 2-1 to Bucky in front of a sold out home crowd. Badgers netted game winner in the 82nd minute.

One of these years, Gopher soccer might beat Wisconsin. I just don't know when that'll be.

One of these years, Gopher soccer might beat Wisconsin. I just don't know when that'll be.
It HAS been a little one-sided over the last 8 years.

2021 L 1-2
2020-2021 T 1-1
2019 L 0-1
2018 L 2-3
2017 L 0-1
2016 L 0-1
2015 L 0-1
2014 L 1-4
2013 W 1-0
2012 W 3-2
2011 T 2-2

Trailing in Columbus 2-0 in the first 25 minutes, Minnesota turned on the offense to defeat the Buckeyes 4-2. Plaschko was terrific in goal while the Gophers finished opportunities off some brilliant passes.

Here's what turned out to be the game winner

While I was attending volleyball, Michigan State scored late to defeat the Gophers 2-1.

Minnesota took out Penn State 4-1. The Gophers controlled the game holding PSU scoreless until the final 30 seconds. Here's a couple of the goals.

On a hot, sunny day in West Lafayette the Gophers carried a 2-0 lead into the half against #25 Purdue. Minnesota went into a defensive shell after the break but was unable to fend off the Boilers. The Gophers gave up a spectacular own goal for the second Purdue score. And the Boilers sealed it by nailing a goal with about 4 minutes remaining. 3-2 Purdue.

Here's Minnesota's second goal:

Going into a defensive shell is a good way to end up losing.

On a hot, sunny day in West Lafayette the Gophers carried a 2-0 lead into the half against #25 Purdue. Minnesota went into a defensive shell after the break but was unable to fend off the Boilers. The Gophers gave up a spectacular own goal for the second Purdue score. And the Boilers sealed it by nailing a goal with about 4 minutes remaining. 3-2 Purdue.

Here's Minnesota's second goal:

Bummed at the loss.
Going into a defensive shell is a good way to end up losing.

The only thing your team using the “prevent defense” does is prevent YOUR TEAM from winning.

Bummed at the loss.

The only thing your team using the “prevent defense” does is prevent YOUR TEAM from winning.
While I was watching, it seemed to me that there was a reasonably strong wind favoring Purdue in the second half. Even Plaschko's goal kicks were short of midfield.

4-0 Gophers at the half with the third goal being one of the coolest strikes of the season.

Gopher add a goal in the second half for 5-0 win over the Illini. Here's the night's opening goal:

Top Bottom