Gopher schedule in 2019 featured 5 teams in AP preseason top 25

I have a hard time with including the bowl win as one of the top 25 teams.

2021 sked had OSU, IN, WI and IA in top 25.

Beat Indiana and Wisconsin. Gave OSU and Iowa scares.

2022 sked had preseason top 25 teams of MSU and WI...beat em both...Syracuse was 14th at one point mid season.

Everyone looks back on the 2019 season and revels in the run of wins in the middle of the season and the Auburn bowl win, but overlooks the four 1-score wins we squeaked out against average or bad teams to start the year. The Gophers pulled it together after heart attack wins vs S. Dakota St., Fresno St., Georgia S. and Purdue but, at that point, I sure wasn’t expecting four B1G blowout wins followed by the Penn St. upset. It stung to lose both the Pig and the Axe down the stretch once hopes and expectations had been raised, too.
My hope this year is that we start stronger (against a stronger early schedule) and finish stronger against the rivals. We need to step up against ranked teams if we want to be considered contenders.

Everyone looks back on the 2019 season and revels in the run of wins in the middle of the season and the Auburn bowl win, but overlooks the four 1-score wins we squeaked out against average or bad teams to start the year. The Gophers pulled it together after heart attack wins vs S. Dakota St., Fresno St., Georgia S. and Purdue but, at that point, I sure wasn’t expecting four B1G blowout wins followed by the Penn St. upset. It stung to lose both the Pig and the Axe down the stretch once hopes and expectations had been raised, too.
My hope this year is that we start stronger (against a stronger early schedule) and finish stronger against the rivals. We need to step up against ranked teams if we want to be considered contenders.
During those early games they were concentrating on the run game. Minnesota has a complicated blocking scheme and it took a few games to perfect. It led to a few squeakers, but paid off later in the season and was showcased against Auburn.

Top Bottom