Gopher Running Back Mount Rushmore.

First game I attended in person. I was sitting in the endzone he ran towards. Made me a fan for life. After that season I asked my dad to take me to at least one game a year and he did.

I am amazed that no one has yet to mention Gopher national champion captain and only Heisman Trophy winner, Bruce Smith. Additionally, Smith earned first-team consensus All-American and All-Big Ten Conference honors in 1941. Add to that, a 1972 inductee into the College Football HOF.(Although not football related, also a WWII Navy fighter pilot.)
And he may have been even better in 1940.

Maroney would have set the all time rushing record here if he had played a fourth season

I’d prefer to limit a Rushmore to those who achieved a U of MN degree.

Hard to figure out if Nagurski received a degree, he gets a spot if so.

Same for Bruce Smith, he was considered a senior when he won the Heisman but not sure if a graduate. If so, Gophers’ only Heisman makes it.

Considered Paul Giel. He is a Gopher legend. But can he be forgiven for allowing the Gophers moving to the Metrodome? I say no, the move to the Metrodome was the single worst thing that ever happened to the program.

Darrell Thompson. Big, strong, fast. Incredibly fun with Foggie. Mr Minnesota football in my book.

And now, Mo. Nothing but results. Multiple times would be 3rd and long and Gophers run the ball - and holy moly Mo picked it up. Love this sequence to close out the Outback Bowl:
  • (2:40 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 6 yds to the Aub 24
  • 2nd & 4 at AUB 24​

(2:29 - 4th) MINNESOTA Penalty, Offensive Holding (-10 Yards) to the Aub 34
  • 2nd & 14 at AUB 34​

(2:18 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 4 yds to the Aub 30
  • (2:18 - 4th) Timeout AUBURN, clock 02:18
  • 3rd & 10 at AUB 30​

(2:11 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 10 yds to the Aub 20 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at AUB 20​

(1:43 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 4 yds to the Aub 16
  • (1:43 - 4th) Timeout AUBURN, clock 01:43
  • 2nd & 6 at AUB 16​

(1:35 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 7 yds to the Aub 9 for a 1ST down
I was a student from 1984-1989, and the Metrodome was a fun atmosphere during the Holtz era. Crowds were great, hopes and expectations were growing. Walking to the dome from the dorm for games was even alright.

However, the lean years in the late 80’s to mid 90’s basically relegated the dome to a subpar college facility. Crowds were anemic and visitors from Iowa and Wisconsin often seemed to outnumber Gopher fans which was embarrassing.

I remember this game! It was a full house and loud.

Last edited:

Not even close to knowing older stats, I'm a youn'ern.
Based on my young gopher Fandom, I can only name the best I've seen, in almost no particular order.
MBIII
Mo
Maroney
Cobb
Cobb so agile!
Maroney so fast!
MB seemed the perfect blend of it all.
MO such a baller, so violent, so intimidating!
Aside from two that played for the same team, they played in very different systems
Interesting to imagine x playing in y system...

I am amazed that no one has yet to mention Gopher national champion captain and only Heisman Trophy winner, Bruce Smith. Additionally, Smith earned first-team consensus All-American and All-Big Ten Conference honors in 1941. Add to that, a 1972 inductee into the College Football HOF.(Although not football related, also a WWII Navy fighter pilot.)
I did not know he was a fighter pilot. Thank you for the post.

Top Bottom