Gopher Running Back Mount Rushmore.

Thompson
BarberIII
Ibrahim
Maroney

HM: Darkins

I almost want to switch Darkins with Maroney...it's close

Last edited:

I am amazed that no one has yet to mention Gopher national champion captain and only Heisman Trophy winner, Bruce Smith. Additionally, Smith earned first-team consensus All-American and All-Big Ten Conference honors in 1941. Add to that, a 1972 inductee into the College Football HOF.(Although not football related, also a WWII Navy fighter pilot.)

Last edited:

Barber was my favorite just because he ran with extreme violence.

Cobb had some silky smooth slashes that were simply amazing, yet he could routinely get the tough critical yards too. I loved him as a college running back.

I wasn't a fan yet when Thompson was a Goph so I can't comment, but I hear he was amazing.

I am amazed that no one has yet to mention Gopher national champion captain and only Heisman Trophy winner, Bruce Smith. Additionally, Smith earned first-team consensus All-American and All-Big Ten Conference honors in 1941. Add to that, a 1972 inductee into the College Football HOF.(Although not football related, also a WWII Navy fighter pilot.)
I went off people I saw. Which is why I excluded Thompson. Smith died almost 20 years before I graced the earth.

Cobb had some silky smooth slashes that were simply amazing, yet he could routinely get the tough critical yards too. I loved him as a college running back.

I wasn't a fan yet when Thompson was a Goph so I can't comment, but I hear he was amazing.
Watch Thompson’s 98 yard TD run against Michigan. Simply amazing.

Thompson was _fast_ in a way I have never seen from another Gophers RB. Like if he saw green he was gone.

I love Mo as much as anyone but his lack of breakaway speed keeps him a notch below Thompson IMO.

My favorites, not necessarily the best, are;

Maroney, Ibrahim, Cobb, Thompson.

Barber was terrific, but I just enjoyed watching Cobb slip through a crack in the line I couldn't even see, time and time again.

My favorites, not necessarily the best, are;

Maroney, Ibrahim, Cobb, Thompson.

Barber was terrific, but I just enjoyed watching Cobb slip through a crack in the line I couldn't even see, time and time again.
In that regard, Mo and Cobb were similar

If going all time, then it has to be Bronko, B Smith, D Thompson and Mo
If going post National Champ era, then D Thompson, L Maroney, MBIII and Mo

Chills to this day. Saw this live.

We've clearly had a great group of guys over the years.

I think Maroney was a touch faster than Thompson but the power/speed combo with Thompson put him a stitch ahead. I’d go MBlll for third and Cobb fourth. From Bronko to Smith to Giel to Kitzman to MB Jr. And then into the Darkins’ and the pair and spare bunch it’s quite a legacy and pedigree.

Going to cheat a little.

1 Mo
2 DT
3 Darkins
4 MB3/Maroney - those two will always be linked for me.

I’d prefer to limit a Rushmore to those who achieved a U of MN degree.

Hard to figure out if Nagurski received a degree, he gets a spot if so.

Same for Bruce Smith, he was considered a senior when he won the Heisman but not sure if a graduate. If so, Gophers’ only Heisman makes it.

Considered Paul Giel. He is a Gopher legend. But can he be forgiven for allowing the Gophers moving to the Metrodome? I say no, the move to the Metrodome was the single worst thing that ever happened to the program.

Darrell Thompson. Big, strong, fast. Incredibly fun with Foggie. Mr Minnesota football in my book.

And now, Mo. Nothing but results. Multiple times would be 3rd and long and Gophers run the ball - and holy moly Mo picked it up. Love this sequence to close out the Outback Bowl:
  • (2:40 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 6 yds to the Aub 24
  • 2nd & 4 at AUB 24​

(2:29 - 4th) MINNESOTA Penalty, Offensive Holding (-10 Yards) to the Aub 34
  • 2nd & 14 at AUB 34​

(2:18 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 4 yds to the Aub 30
  • (2:18 - 4th) Timeout AUBURN, clock 02:18
  • 3rd & 10 at AUB 30​

(2:11 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 10 yds to the Aub 20 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & 10 at AUB 20​

(1:43 - 4th) Mohamed Ibrahim run for 4 yds to the Aub 16
  • (1:43 - 4th) Timeout AUBURN, clock 01:43
  • 2nd & 6 at AUB 16​