Gopher recruits in all-star games

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
Who are all the Gopher recruits (commits or targets) that are playing in all-star games this year? Doing some quick searching, here is what I've come up with. Please correct or add to this list so we know who to look for.

Under Armor - Jan 2, 11am CST, ESPN
Dredrick Snelson - commit (?)

Army, Jan 9, Noon CST, NBC
Carter Coughlin - commit (West)

Semper Fidelis, Jan 3, 8pm CST, FS1
Tyler Johnson - commit (West)
Amir Watts - target (West)

Memphis QB commit Keon Howard will be playing in the OD bowl today at 4:45 and the game will be live streamed here

http://bowl.o-d.com/

In all likelihood, Howard will end up as the 2nd QB in this class so this is a game I'd recommend gopher fans watch today. Can't imagine a scenario where we don't offer him on his OV and he doesn't accept that offer.

In all likelihood, Howard will end up as the 2nd QB in this class so this is a game I'd recommend gopher fans watch today. Can't imagine a scenario where we don't offer him on his OV and he doesn't accept that offer.

Pretty serious prediction...have you heard or read something or just blowing smoke and hoping to get lucky and be right?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I want snelson and watts so very badly. Snelson looks like a difference maker.not likely in year one, but certainly as a senior.

Pretty serious prediction...have you heard or read something or just blowing smoke and hoping to get lucky and be right?

Well the staff is planning on taking 2 QBs and Howard is the only one that we are talking to right now so it's hard to imagine he won't get offered and over the summer in interview he made it known how bad he wanted a Minnesota offer and I believe said we would be his leaders if we were to offer.

Also Howard won MVP of the OD bowl. Replay can be found on Watch ESPN.

Well the staff is planning on taking 2 QBs and Howard is the only one that we are talking to right now so it's hard to imagine he won't get offered and over the summer in interview he made it known how bad he wanted a Minnesota offer and I believe said we would be his leaders if we were to offer.

Also Howard won MVP of the OD bowl. Replay can be found on Watch ESPN.

Does he have a connection to MN or the area, and does he still want to be here?

Does he have a connection to MN or the area, and does he still want to be here?

He does have cousin that lives here I believe and it does appear he is still interested based off his comments from a December article.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...memphis-qb-commit-hearing-minnesota/77036084/

But another school is in pursuit of the Dandy Dozen quarterback. Minnesota, which was among Howard's top four when committed to the Tigers in August, conducted an in-home visit last week.

"They know Coach Fuente left and my mind isn't made up, so they're coming after me real hard," he said. "We talked about the quarterback they got now and he's going to be a senior next year. I can go into Minnesota my freshman year, get redshirted and learn the program. (The next) year, I'd get to fight for the starting job."

Playing for a Power Five conference like the Big Ten is appealing to the 6-foot-1, 205 pounder and a major selling point from the Golden Gophers.

"You play against Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State - big time schools like that," he said. "It's great publicity for yourself and the program. Minnesota didn't have a great season but you can go in there and change the whole program around by playing those schools and making a name for the program."

Not much opportunity for Snelson in the UA game. He did catch 1of 2 balls thrown his way. The one he didn't catch should have been a completion for TD, but the QB threw too late and the DB was able to break it up. From what I saw he played exclusively in the slot. They only had him run short hitch and out routes. He was open at times, but the QBs seemed focused on the outside WRs.

So, not much to evaluate Dredrick on. The announcers did mention his Gopher commit status, but it was just in passing, so no real UofM didn't do any breakdown of his skills or potential. Not unexpected, but disappointing...

There's a picture going around of Snelson throwing up the U. I would imagine the cancelled visit to Wisconsin will now be made to Miami.

From Army Bowl practices:

-Minnesota commit Carter Coughlin of Eden Prairie (Mn.) is a big framed backer (he’s 6-foot-2.75, 215 pounds) who probably was the most instinctive player in the group. His eyes zeroed in on the quarterback as he fluidly backpedaled and roamed his turf while playing both outside backer positions. He often made his move to the correct player and/or zone before the ball was even in the air.

http://247sports.com/Article/Army-Bowl-East-top-performers-day-one-42546997

I want snelson and watts so very badly. Snelson looks like a difference maker.not likely in year one, but certainly as a senior.

Skill guys typically don't need multiple years to develop. As long as he is able to grasp the playbook, if he is as good as advertised there is little to no reason why he (Snelson) can't be an impact player right away. There are definitely some positions that take time (O-Line, D-Line, QB to name a few) but skill guys can make an impact right away if they are good enough.

Day 3 Army Bowl update:

Top Five Defense
1. Columbus (Ohio) Gahanna Lincoln defensive end and Ohio State commit Jonathan Cooper put up his best performance of the week on Thursday. The 6-foot-2, 235-pound prospect was explosive off the edge and did an excellent job using his hands to shed blocks. Cooper was extremely disruptive during the scrimmage portion of the practice.

2. Eden Prairie (Minn.) linebacker and Minnesota commit Carter Coughlin was the most athletic linebacker during position drills, and then the most active during the scrimmage portion of practice. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound prospect simply has a nose for the ball and is able to diagnose plays quickly.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Article/Army-Bowl-East-top-performers-day-three-42632071

Rivals update:

2. LB Carter Coughlin, Eden Prairie, Minn.

Recruiting Wrap: Coughlin is a solid commit to Minnesota.

Performance: Coughlin has been a pleasant surprise in the East linebacker corps this week. Ranked as the No. 116 player in the class we expected Coughlin to be good, but he has been the unquestioned leader of the East linebackers and was named a team captain. On Thursday the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder again showed great range in coverage and recorded a pass break-up in goal line team work.

https://n.rivals.com/news/army-bowl-east-thursday-stock-report

Nice he grew two inches between stories

Top Bottom